Old 06-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Ahmed Kamal

Default PulseAudio profile change upon plugging hardware

Hi Fedorians,
Lately I've hit a Just-Works��experience with Fedora and it rox. Basically, I purchased a Bluetooth headphone, paired to my fedora box, and boom it appears as an audio device inside pulseaudio. I was happy with how simple it was to use it to talk via skype .. Awesome! Then I wanted something more advanced, I wanted to only use the BT headphone's mic, while having audio output via the full laptop speakers. A couple of clicks inside pulseaudio GUI, and that works too .. very very cool ! Thank you Lennart and everyone who helped make this possible. Thanks for bringing the free desktop to the 21st Century.

Now, what remains to be missing (at least I can't figure it out) is: Whenever I pair my BT headphone, I want PA to automatically use its mic, but audio output should remain on the main speakers. Basically, I want a certain PA "profile" to be applied whenever different audio devices are plugged in/out. I wonder if this functionality is already available. If not, I'd like to file an RFE. Thanks again for a nice surprise

Best Regards

Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Ankur Sinha

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 21:30 +0300, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> Hi Fedorians,
>

> Lately I've hit a Just-Works™ experience with Fedora and it rox.
> Basically, I purchased a Bluetooth headphone, paired to my fedora box,
> and boom it appears as an audio device inside pulseaudio. I was happy
> with how simple it was to use it to talk via skype .. Awesome! Then I
> wanted something more advanced, I wanted to only use the BT
> headphone's mic, while having audio output via the full laptop
> speakers. A couple of clicks inside pulseaudio GUI, and that works
> too .. very very cool ! Thank you Lennart and everyone who helped make
> this possible. Thanks for bringing the free desktop to the 21st
> Century.
>

> Now, what remains to be missing (at least I can't figure it out) is:
> Whenever I pair my BT headphone, I want PA to automatically use its
> mic, but audio output should remain on the main speakers. Basically, I
> want a certain PA "profile" to be applied whenever different audio
> devices are plugged in/out. I wonder if this functionality is already
> available. If not, I'd like to file an RFE. Thanks again for a nice
> surprise
>

> Best Regards

hey,

Please file an RFE. If the functionality is available, it will be
pointed out in the bug report itself. Having an RFE is always a better
way to go.

regards,
Ankur