-   -   rfc: python2.7 for F14 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/388973-rfc-python2-7-f14.html)

Neal Becker 06-21-2010 05:19 PM

rfc: python2.7 for F14

I'm interested in python2.7 as a feature for F14. This will provide
backports of some nice python3 features, but will work for those
needing python2 environments. Many libraries are not available for
python3 yet.

David Malcolm 06-21-2010 05:44 PM

rfc: python2.7 for F14

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 13:19 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm interested in python2.7 as a feature for F14. This will provide
> backports of some nice python3 features, but will work for those
> needing python2 environments. Many libraries are not available for
> python3 yet.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7

I've been working on it (though have been on holiday for a week)

I hope to have the latest upstream 2.7 release candidate in rawhide
later this week. This will require a rebuild of all Python modules.

Toshio Kuratomi 06-21-2010 05:50 PM

rfc: python2.7 for F14

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 01:19:17PM -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm interested in python2.7 as a feature for F14. This will provide
> backports of some nice python3 features, but will work for those
> needing python2 environments. Many libraries are not available for
> python3 yet.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7

dmalcolm, you back from your holiday? I haven't seen you on freenode yet,
today.

-Toshio

Chen Lei 06-21-2010 05:57 PM

rfc: python2.7 for F14

2010/6/22 David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>:
> On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 13:19 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
>> I'm interested in python2.7 as a feature for F14. *This will provide
>> backports of some nice python3 features, but will work for those
>> needing python2 environments. *Many libraries are not available for
>> python3 yet.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7
>
> I've been working on it (though have been on holiday for a week)
>
> I hope to have the latest upstream 2.7 release candidate in rawhide
> later this week. *This will require a rebuild of all Python modules.
>

> --
Why not rebuild all python modules along with gcc 4.5? It may avoid of
rebuild python-related packages twice?

Regards,
Chen Lei

David Malcolm 06-21-2010 06:12 PM

rfc: python2.7 for F14

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 13:50 -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 01:19:17PM -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> > I'm interested in python2.7 as a feature for F14. This will provide
> > backports of some nice python3 features, but will work for those
> > needing python2 environments. Many libraries are not available for
> > python3 yet.
> >
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7
>
> dmalcolm, you back from your holiday? I haven't seen you on freenode yet,
> today.

I'm back from holiday, and am on IRC; still wading through thousands of
emails :-(

David Malcolm 06-21-2010 06:34 PM

rfc: python2.7 for F14

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 01:57 +0800, Chen Lei wrote:
> 2010/6/22 David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>:
> > On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 13:19 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> >> I'm interested in python2.7 as a feature for F14. This will provide
> >> backports of some nice python3 features, but will work for those
> >> needing python2 environments. Many libraries are not available for
> >> python3 yet.
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7
> >
> > I've been working on it (though have been on holiday for a week)
> >
> > I hope to have the latest upstream 2.7 release candidate in rawhide
> > later this week. This will require a rebuild of all Python modules.
> >

> > --
> Why not rebuild all python modules along with gcc 4.5? It may avoid of
> rebuild python-related packages twice?

Is there a Fedora feature page for gcc 4.5? I briefly searched, but
didn't find one.

I'm not sure that building things twice is a waste: if there are bugs,
having intermediate builds may help us determine whether the problem
relates to the Python or the GCC revision bump. It may be simpler to do
a full rebuild of anything with:
Requires: python(abi) = 2.6
as soon as python 2.7 hits rawhide.

Is there a good (automated) way of doing this?

Dave

Adam Williamson 06-21-2010 08:15 PM

rfc: python2.7 for F14

On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 14:12 -0400, David Malcolm wrote:

> I'm back from holiday, and am on IRC; still wading through thousands of
> emails :-(

I suggest email roulette. Write a simple script to mark 5/6ths of them
as read. Reply to the other 1/6th as normal. =)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Thomas Spura 06-22-2010 06:40 AM

rfc: python2.7 for F14

Am Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:34:02 -0400
schrieb David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>:

> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 01:57 +0800, Chen Lei wrote:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7
> > >
> > > I've been working on it (though have been on holiday for a week)
> > >
> > > I hope to have the latest upstream 2.7 release candidate in
> > > rawhide later this week. This will require a rebuild of all
> > > Python modules.
> > >

> > > --
> > Why not rebuild all python modules along with gcc 4.5? It may avoid
> > of rebuild python-related packages twice?
>
> Is there a Fedora feature page for gcc 4.5? I briefly searched, but
> didn't find one.
>
> I'm not sure that building things twice is a waste: if there are bugs,
> having intermediate builds may help us determine whether the problem
> relates to the Python or the GCC revision bump. It may be simpler to
> do a full rebuild of anything with:
> Requires: python(abi) = 2.6
> as soon as python 2.7 hits rawhide.
>
> Is there a good (automated) way of doing this?

I guess yes:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mass_Rebuild_SOP

It just needs to get modified to work on python(abi) = 2.6 only and not
on all packages.

Thomas

David Malcolm 06-22-2010 03:02 PM

rfc: python2.7 for F14

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 08:40 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
> Am Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:34:02 -0400
> schrieb David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>:

> > > Why not rebuild all python modules along with gcc 4.5? It may avoid
> > > of rebuild python-related packages twice?
> >
> > Is there a Fedora feature page for gcc 4.5? I briefly searched, but
> > didn't find one.
> >
> > I'm not sure that building things twice is a waste: if there are bugs,
> > having intermediate builds may help us determine whether the problem
> > relates to the Python or the GCC revision bump. It may be simpler to
> > do a full rebuild of anything with:
> > Requires: python(abi) = 2.6
> > as soon as python 2.7 hits rawhide.
> >
> > Is there a good (automated) way of doing this?
>
> I guess yes:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mass_Rebuild_SOP
>
> It just needs to get modified to work on python(abi) = 2.6 only and not
> on all packages.

Thanks, that's a great help - I hadn't seen that page. Looks like an
excellent starting point.

We need to look at all built (sub)packages with a requires of
python(abi) = 2.6, figure out the set of src.rpms they come from, and
we'll want to rebuild those once 2.7 is in f-14 in Koji.

Dave

Brandon Lozza 06-22-2010 05:22 PM

rfc: python2.7 for F14

I know this might be slightly off topic because of python but:

I would love to see a feature for GCC 4.5 if its not already assumed
to be in F14 (OpenSUSE will have GCC 4.5 in 11.3 out soon)