Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Chen Lei

Default rfc: python2.7 for F14

2010/6/22 David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>:
> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 08:40 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
>> Am Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:34:02 -0400
>> schrieb David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>:
>>
>> > On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 01:57 +0800, Chen Lei wrote:
>
> Thanks, that's a great help - I hadn't seen that page. *Looks like an
> excellent starting point.
>
> We need to look at all built (sub)packages with a requires of
> python(abi) = 2.6, figure out the set of src.rpms they come from, and
> we'll want to rebuild those once 2.7 is in f-14 in Koji.
>

> Dave
>
> --

I think Mass Rebuild the whole repo will be much easier than the
packages which requires on python(abi) =2.6(nearly 1/10 packages in
the repo related to python). Since gcc 4.5 is released for several
months, it definitely will be used in F14, so I suggest asking Jakub
first to see if it's possible to push gcc 4.5 to the repo along with
python 2.7 soon.

Regards,
Chen Lei

Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Thomas Spura

Am Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:02:40 -0400
schrieb David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>:

> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 08:40 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
> > Am Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:34:02 -0400
> > schrieb David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>:

> > > Is there a Fedora feature page for gcc 4.5? I briefly searched,
> > > but didn't find one.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure that building things twice is a waste: if there are
> > > bugs, having intermediate builds may help us determine whether
> > > the problem relates to the Python or the GCC revision bump. It
> > > may be simpler to do a full rebuild of anything with:
> > > Requires: python(abi) = 2.6
> > > as soon as python 2.7 hits rawhide.
> > >
> > > Is there a good (automated) way of doing this?
> >
> > I guess yes:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mass_Rebuild_SOP
> >
> > It just needs to get modified to work on python(abi) = 2.6 only and
> > not on all packages.
>
> Thanks, that's a great help - I hadn't seen that page. Looks like an
> excellent starting point.
>
> We need to look at all built (sub)packages with a requires of
> python(abi) = 2.6, figure out the set of src.rpms they come from, and
> we'll want to rebuild those once 2.7 is in f-14 in Koji.

Hmm, I just tried to write a little script for that (based on the one
from above), but I had some problems with bodhi.

e.g. 'repoquery --requires bodhi' shows nothing (because there are only
subpackages and no main package). When calling 'repoquery --requires
bodhi-client', there should be a python(abi), but there is only:
/usr/bin/python
koji
python-fedora >= 0.3.5
python-simplejson
yum

So it might not be a that easy task...

I think rebuilding the complete repo would be the easiest (or along
with gcc 4.5. If a package fails, it can be compiled locally without
gcc 4.5, but with python 2.7, so it can be decided, what rebuild caused
it...

Or do you have another idea, to find all the needed packages?
(I still wonder, why bodhi-client doesn't require python(abi) = 2.6....)

Thomas

Old 06-22-2010, 09:16 PM
John5342

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 21:47, Thomas Spura <tomspur@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Am Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:02:40 -0400
> schrieb David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>:
>
> Hmm, I just tried to write a little script for that (based on the one
> from above), but I had some problems with bodhi.
>
> e.g. 'repoquery --requires bodhi' shows nothing (because there are only
> subpackages and no main package). When calling 'repoquery --requires
> bodhi-client', there should be a python(abi), but there is only:
> /usr/bin/python
> koji
> python-fedora >= 0.3.5
> python-simplejson
> yum

Is it perhaps because bodhi-client only has an executable (it is
python code but not automatically compiled like libraries) so rpm
doesn't automatically provide the requires? On a side note if it is
not pre-compiled into bytecode then it probably doesn't make any
difference whether it is recompiled. bodhi-server (same source
package) does require python(abi) because it has libraries so in that
particular case it would result in bodhi-client being rebuilt...
(repoquery --whatrequires "python(abi)" | grep bodhi)

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...

Old 06-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Thomas Spura

Am Tue, 22 Jun 2010 22:47:06 +0200
schrieb Thomas Spura <tomspur@fedoraproject.org>:

> Am Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:02:40 -0400
> schrieb David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com>:
>
> > On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 08:40 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:

> > > I guess yes:
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mass_Rebuild_SOP
> > >
> > > It just needs to get modified to work on python(abi) = 2.6 only
> > > and not on all packages.
> >
> > Thanks, that's a great help - I hadn't seen that page. Looks like
> > an excellent starting point.
> >
> > We need to look at all built (sub)packages with a requires of
> > python(abi) = 2.6, figure out the set of src.rpms they come from,
> > and we'll want to rebuild those once 2.7 is in f-14 in Koji.
>
> Hmm, I just tried to write a little script for that (based on the one
> from above), but I had some problems with bodhi.
>
> e.g. 'repoquery --requires bodhi' shows nothing (because there are
> only subpackages and no main package). When calling 'repoquery
> --requires bodhi-client', there should be a python(abi), but there is
> only: /usr/bin/python
> koji
> python-fedora >= 0.3.5
> python-simplejson
> yum
>
> So it might not be a that easy task...
>
> I think rebuilding the complete repo would be the easiest (or along
> with gcc 4.5. If a package fails, it can be compiled locally without
> gcc 4.5, but with python 2.7, so it can be decided, what rebuild
> caused it...
>
> Or do you have another idea, to find all the needed packages?
> (I still wonder, why bodhi-client doesn't require python(abi) =
> 2.6....)

How about this?
"""
import os

p = set()

for pkg in os.popen('repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps "python(abi) =
2.6"'):
pkg = pkg.strip()
print "Checking %s" % pkg
p.add(os.popen('repoquery -s %s' % pkg).read().strip())

print p
"""

Thomas

Old 06-23-2010, 04:57 AM
James Antill

On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 23:26 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:

> How about this?
> """
> import os
>
> p = set()
>
> for pkg in os.popen('repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps "python(abi) =
> 2.6"'):
> pkg = pkg.strip()
> print "Checking %s" % pkg
> p.add(os.popen('repoquery -s %s' % pkg).read().strip())
>
> print p
> """

Wow, python calling python through /bin/sh! I bow before you sir.
You could just do:

#! /bin/sh

repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps -s "python(abi) = 2.6" | sort -u

Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 PM
David Malcolm

On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 00:57 -0400, James Antill wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 23:26 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
>
> > How about this?
> > """
> > import os
> >
> > p = set()
> >
> > for pkg in os.popen('repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps "python(abi) =
> > 2.6"'):
> > pkg = pkg.strip()
> > print "Checking %s" % pkg
> > p.add(os.popen('repoquery -s %s' % pkg).read().strip())
> >
> > print p
> > """
>
> Wow, python calling python through /bin/sh! I bow before you sir.
> You could just do:
>
> #! /bin/sh
>
> repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps -s "python(abi) = 2.6" | sort -u

Thanks guys. I've added James' script to the feature page.

I have an src.rpm that builds:
http://dmalcolm.fedorapeople.org/python-packaging/python-2.7-0.1.rc2.fc14.src.rpm

There's a successful scratch build here:

I haven't tested it yet; am about to try it on a rawhide VM. Help with
testing would be most welcome! I wrote some thoughts on how to do this
here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7#How_To_Test

Dave

Old 06-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Panu Matilainen

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, David Malcolm wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 00:57 -0400, James Antill wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-06-22 at 23:26 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
>>
>>> How about this?
>>> """
>>> import os
>>>
>>> p = set()
>>>
>>> for pkg in os.popen('repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps "python(abi) =
>>> 2.6"'):
>>> pkg = pkg.strip()
>>> print "Checking %s" % pkg
>>> p.add(os.popen('repoquery -s %s' % pkg).read().strip())
>>>
>>> print p
>>> """
>>
>> Wow, python calling python through /bin/sh! I bow before you sir.
>> You could just do:
>>
>> #! /bin/sh
>>
>> repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps -s "python(abi) = 2.6" | sort -u
>
> Thanks guys. I've added James' script to the feature page.
>
> I have an src.rpm that builds:
> http://dmalcolm.fedorapeople.org/python-packaging/python-2.7-0.1.rc2.fc14.src.rpm
>
> There's a successful scratch build here:
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2271138
>
> I haven't tested it yet; am about to try it on a rawhide VM. Help with
> testing would be most welcome! I wrote some thoughts on how to do this
> here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python_2.7#How_To_Test

BTW since a python mass-rebuild is looming anyway, we might want to
consider pulling in Aurélien Bompard's python-egg dependency extractors
while at it: http://rpm.org/ticket/15

- Panu -

Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 09:55:15AM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> BTW since a python mass-rebuild is looming anyway, we might want to
> consider pulling in Aurélien Bompard's python-egg dependency extractors
> while at it: http://rpm.org/ticket/15

That sounds good. One note: we might want to make sure that we can have
sensible namespace for both python-egg dependencies and python-import
dependencies. The former is, I think, what Aurélien implemented and works
off of the egg metadata. It's good to have but we probably want the ability
to add the latter extractors at a later date.

(A python-import extractor would mean scanning the source files like perl
does now and extracting things like:

import fancy => Requires: python2(fancy)
)

-Toshio