Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Jens Petersen

Default headsup: ghc-6.12.3

I built ghc-6.12.3 for F14. This will require rebuilding all
ghc library packages, which I and the Haskell SIG will be doing
over the coming days - the meantime please bear with us with
the broken dependencies...

Thanks,
Jens

Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Jens Petersen

Just to update I finished rebuilding all the ghc packages in dist-f14-ghc
over the weekend and they should appear in the next rawhide push.

Probably kaya and hedgewars should be rebuilt too.

Please report or let me know of any problems.

Thanks, Jens

Old 06-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 20:43:26 -0400,
Jens Petersen <petersen@redhat.com> wrote:
> Just to update I finished rebuilding all the ghc packages in dist-f14-ghc
> over the weekend and they should appear in the next rawhide push.
>
> Probably kaya and hedgewars should be rebuilt too.

I'll bump hedgewars once the update shows up.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:35:39 -0500,
Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 20:43:26 -0400,
> Jens Petersen <petersen@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Just to update I finished rebuilding all the ghc packages in dist-f14-ghc
> > over the weekend and they should appear in the next rawhide push.
> >
> > Probably kaya and hedgewars should be rebuilt too.
>
> I'll bump hedgewars once the update shows up.

I am not seeing a conflict with hedgewars after the update. So for now at
least, I don't think hedgewars needs to be rebuilt.

None of the ghc related requires (ghc-dataenc, ghc-network, ghc-stm,
ghc-utf8-string) were version specific. Does that indicate that the requires
were set up improperly or just that these packages didn't have an abi change?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:25 AM
Jens Petersen

----- "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> > > Probably kaya and hedgewars should be rebuilt too.
> >
> > I'll bump hedgewars once the update shows up.
>
> I am not seeing a conflict with hedgewars after the update. So for now
> at least, I don't think hedgewars needs to be rebuilt.

Right, there shouldn't be any conflict since ghc links
statically by default (dynlinking is still considered experimental
upstream though it may become default for Linux in 6.14 perhaps).

I just suggested the rebuilds as best practice.
And to avoid future FTBFS bugs, etc.

> None of the ghc related requires (ghc-dataenc, ghc-network, ghc-stm,
> ghc-utf8-string) were version specific. Does that indicate that the
> requires
> were set up improperly or just that these packages didn't have an abi
> change?

You should not need those Requires since they are for shared libs.
Rpm would generate them for you automatically: so they should be
redundant. You could pass "-dynamic" to ghc if you want to
link to the shared libraries.

Thanks, Jens

ps Note also that ghc-utf8-string is also available and preferred in F13 now.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:25:19 -0400,
Jens Petersen <petersen@redhat.com> wrote:
> ----- "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
>
> I just suggested the rebuilds as best practice.

I'll probably be doing one in F14 to get the latest upstream release, once
I get a bit of a lull. So there should be one before release.

> > None of the ghc related requires (ghc-dataenc, ghc-network, ghc-stm,
> > ghc-utf8-string) were version specific. Does that indicate that the
> > requires
> > were set up improperly or just that these packages didn't have an abi
> > change?
>
> You should not need those Requires since they are for shared libs.
> Rpm would generate them for you automatically: so they should be
> redundant. You could pass "-dynamic" to ghc if you want to
> link to the shared libraries.

I am pretty sure I had a build fail in F14 when I didn't list ghc-utf8-string
on a build requires. It didn't happen in F13 though.

I'll drop the reuires though if they get built automatically. And I'll
try out using -dynamic.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:51 AM
Jens Petersen

----- "Bruno Wolff III" <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> I'll probably be doing one in F14 to get the latest upstream release,
> once I get a bit of a lull. So there should be one before release.

Cool

> > You should not need those Requires since they are for shared libs.
> > Rpm would generate them for you automatically: so they should be
> > redundant. You could pass "-dynamic" to ghc if you want to
> > link to the shared libraries.
>
> I am pretty sure I had a build fail in F14 when I didn't list
> ghc-utf8-string
> on a build requires. It didn't happen in F13 though.

Yep you need the BuildRequires - I was talking about the Requires.
It works on F13 since ghc-6.12.1 "accidently" exposed its internal utf8-string.
If you are statically linking it probably doesn't matter much which one
you use, but all our libraries for ghc-6.12.x should now link against ghc-utf8-string.
Just thought it would make your life easier with keeping F13 and F14 in sync.

Jens