Old 01-16-2008, 10:52 AM
"Valent Turkovic"

Default intel driver and dual screen

Hi,
when I connect external LCD monitor to my laptop's VGA connector I get
image on both monitors with the "same" resolution - just that the one
on the laptop is cropped.
Laptop supports 1280x800 and LCD 1280x1024 so I see the same desktop
on both screens just I don't see the bottom part on laptop screen.

I would like to have an option to do two things:
1. to turn off the laptop screen when I'm using only the external one.
(I have vista on this laptop also but I don't use it - under vista I
can use FN+F4 to rotate video modes and in one video mode only
external LCD is on, under Fedora 8 FN+F4 does nothing)
2. ability to switch both screens on but not in mirror mode but in
dual screen mode.

I'm using Fedora 8 with latest updates and with intel 2.1.1 driver.

Are there any intel utilities that make managing video setup easier?
Can you please point me to some web resources that address issues I
mentioned.

Thank you in advance,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

Old 01-16-2008, 11:34 AM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 16/01/2008, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> when I connect external LCD monitor to my laptop's VGA connector I get
> image on both monitors with the "same" resolution - just that the one
> on the laptop is cropped.
> Laptop supports 1280x800 and LCD 1280x1024 so I see the same desktop
> on both screens just I don't see the bottom part on laptop screen.
>
> I would like to have an option to do two things:
> 1. to turn off the laptop screen when I'm using only the external one.
> (I have vista on this laptop also but I don't use it - under vista I
> can use FN+F4 to rotate video modes and in one video mode only
> external LCD is on, under Fedora 8 FN+F4 does nothing)
> 2. ability to switch both screens on but not in mirror mode but in
> dual screen mode.
>
> I'm using Fedora 8 with latest updates and with intel 2.1.1 driver.
>
> Are there any intel utilities that make managing video setup easier?
> Can you please point me to some web resources that address issues I
> mentioned.

xrandr can do the first

xrandr --output LVDS off

there may be a way to use xrandr to do the second, but I haven't
figured it out yet.

There's a nice utility in development to give a nice shiny GUI for these things:

http://albertomilone.com/urandr.html

Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Simo Sorce

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 12:52 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Hi,
> when I connect external LCD monitor to my laptop's VGA connector I get
> image on both monitors with the "same" resolution - just that the one
> on the laptop is cropped.
> Laptop supports 1280x800 and LCD 1280x1024 so I see the same desktop
> on both screens just I don't see the bottom part on laptop screen.
>
> I would like to have an option to do two things:
> 1. to turn off the laptop screen when I'm using only the external one.
> (I have vista on this laptop also but I don't use it - under vista I
> can use FN+F4 to rotate video modes and in one video mode only
> external LCD is on, under Fedora 8 FN+F4 does nothing)
> 2. ability to switch both screens on but not in mirror mode but in
> dual screen mode.
>
> I'm using Fedora 8 with latest updates and with intel 2.1.1 driver.
>
> Are there any intel utilities that make managing video setup easier?
> Can you please point me to some web resources that address issues I
> mentioned.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Valent.

I have exactly the same situation, I have a xrandr command I start from
my session that sets up the dual screen thing:

xrandr --output VGA --right-of LVDS

to shutdown the LCD: xrandr --output LVDS off

See xrandr --help for more fun

Simo.

--
| Simo S Sorce |
| Sr.Soft.Eng. |

Old 01-16-2008, 02:37 PM
"Jeffrey Ollie"

On 1/16/08, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a nice utility in development to give a nice shiny GUI for these things:
>
> http://albertomilone.com/urandr.html

Unfortunately this utility seems very Debian/Ubuntu specific - for
example there's some code that shells out to dpkg and apt-get. Plus I
see some rather dubious code... First of all, it seems to want to run
as root, which shouldn't be necessary to use XRandR. Second, code
like this:

self.command = 'sudo rm -R '
self.remove(files, verb)

seems to be begging to be exploited. I think that I'm staying far
away from this code...

Jeff

Old 01-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Kristian Høgsberg

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 09:14 -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 12:52 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > Hi,
> > when I connect external LCD monitor to my laptop's VGA connector I get
> > image on both monitors with the "same" resolution - just that the one
> > on the laptop is cropped.
> > Laptop supports 1280x800 and LCD 1280x1024 so I see the same desktop
> > on both screens just I don't see the bottom part on laptop screen.
> >
> > I would like to have an option to do two things:
> > 1. to turn off the laptop screen when I'm using only the external one.
> > (I have vista on this laptop also but I don't use it - under vista I
> > can use FN+F4 to rotate video modes and in one video mode only
> > external LCD is on, under Fedora 8 FN+F4 does nothing)
> > 2. ability to switch both screens on but not in mirror mode but in
> > dual screen mode.
> >
> > I'm using Fedora 8 with latest updates and with intel 2.1.1 driver.
> >
> > Are there any intel utilities that make managing video setup easier?
> > Can you please point me to some web resources that address issues I
> > mentioned.
> >
> > Thank you in advance,
> > Valent.
>
> I have exactly the same situation, I have a xrandr command I start from
> my session that sets up the dual screen thing:
>
> xrandr --output VGA --right-of LVDS

One things that's not very well documented is that you need to tweak you
xorg.conf for this to work. You need to add a Virtual line to the
"Display" subsection in the "Screen" section of the xorg.conf file, for
example:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Virtual 3600 1200
EndSubSection
EndSection

The exact resolution depends on the monitors you want to use, but it has
to be big enough to hold both side by side. In my case, I have
1900x1200 and 1680x1050 monitors side by side, which gives me the
numbers above.

cheers,
Kristian

Old 01-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 09:37 -0600, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On 1/16/08, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There's a nice utility in development to give a nice shiny GUI for these things:
> >
> > http://albertomilone.com/urandr.html
>
> Unfortunately this utility seems very Debian/Ubuntu specific - for
> example there's some code that shells out to dpkg and apt-get. Plus I
> see some rather dubious code... First of all, it seems to want to run
> as root, which shouldn't be necessary to use XRandR. Second, code
> like this:
>
> self.command = 'sudo rm -R '
> self.remove(files, verb)
>
> seems to be begging to be exploited. I think that I'm staying far
> away from this code...

We are working on this for F9:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RandrSupport

Admittedly, we have not been very good at keeping that page updated,
but Soeren hopes that we'll be able to land this in rawhide shortly
after test1. Is that still correct, Soeren ?

Matthias

Old 01-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Simo Sorce

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 11:00 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 09:14 -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 12:52 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > when I connect external LCD monitor to my laptop's VGA connector I get
> > > image on both monitors with the "same" resolution - just that the one
> > > on the laptop is cropped.
> > > Laptop supports 1280x800 and LCD 1280x1024 so I see the same desktop
> > > on both screens just I don't see the bottom part on laptop screen.
> > >
> > > I would like to have an option to do two things:
> > > 1. to turn off the laptop screen when I'm using only the external one.
> > > (I have vista on this laptop also but I don't use it - under vista I
> > > can use FN+F4 to rotate video modes and in one video mode only
> > > external LCD is on, under Fedora 8 FN+F4 does nothing)
> > > 2. ability to switch both screens on but not in mirror mode but in
> > > dual screen mode.
> > >
> > > I'm using Fedora 8 with latest updates and with intel 2.1.1 driver.
> > >
> > > Are there any intel utilities that make managing video setup easier?
> > > Can you please point me to some web resources that address issues I
> > > mentioned.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance,
> > > Valent.
> >
> > I have exactly the same situation, I have a xrandr command I start from
> > my session that sets up the dual screen thing:
> >
> > xrandr --output VGA --right-of LVDS
>
> One things that's not very well documented is that you need to tweak you
> xorg.conf for this to work. You need to add a Virtual line to the
> "Display" subsection in the "Screen" section of the xorg.conf file, for
> example:
>
> Section "Screen"
> Identifier "Screen0"
> Device "Videocard0"
> DefaultDepth 24
> SubSection "Display"
> Viewport 0 0
> Depth 24
> Virtual 3600 1200
> EndSubSection
> EndSection
>
> The exact resolution depends on the monitors you want to use, but it has
> to be big enough to hold both side by side. In my case, I have
> 1900x1200 and 1680x1050 monitors side by side, which gives me the
> numbers above.

Oh, right, I completely forgot I had to change xorg.conf

Also need to be noted that if you want to use desktop effects (compiz)
you must not exceed 2048 in any direction.

In my case putting them side by side makes it impossible to run compiz
as 1024+1280 = 2304 > 2048 for me.
(Virtual 2304 1024)

I tested that putting one above the other works with compiz as 768+1024
< 2048
(Virtual 1280 1792 and xrandr --output VGA --above LVDS)

Simo.

--
| Simo S Sorce |
| Sr.Soft.Eng. |

Old 01-16-2008, 03:39 PM
"Valent Turkovic"

On Jan 16, 2008 5:11 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 09:37 -0600, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> > On 1/16/08, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > There's a nice utility in development to give a nice shiny GUI for these things:
> > >
> > > http://albertomilone.com/urandr.html
> >
> > Unfortunately this utility seems very Debian/Ubuntu specific - for
> > example there's some code that shells out to dpkg and apt-get. Plus I
> > see some rather dubious code... First of all, it seems to want to run
> > as root, which shouldn't be necessary to use XRandR. Second, code
> > like this:
> >
> > self.command = 'sudo rm -R '
> > self.remove(files, verb)
> >
> > seems to be begging to be exploited. I think that I'm staying far
> > away from this code...
>
> We are working on this for F9:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RandrSupport
>
> Admittedly, we have not been very good at keeping that page updated,
> but Soeren hopes that we'll be able to land this in rawhide shortly
> after test1. Is that still correct, Soeren ?
>

> Matthias

Sounds great! Will that be incorporated in system-config-display or
will it be a stand alone application?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:42 PM
"Valent Turkovic"

On Jan 16, 2008 4:37 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff@ocjtech.us> wrote:
> On 1/16/08, Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There's a nice utility in development to give a nice shiny GUI for these things:
> >
> > http://albertomilone.com/urandr.html
>
> Unfortunately this utility seems very Debian/Ubuntu specific - for
> example there's some code that shells out to dpkg and apt-get. Plus I
> see some rather dubious code... First of all, it seems to want to run
> as root, which shouldn't be necessary to use XRandR. Second, code
> like this:
>
> self.command = 'sudo rm -R '
> self.remove(files, verb)
>
> seems to be begging to be exploited. I think that I'm staying far
> away from this code...
>
> Jeff

Maybe some should suggest the author to make it a bit more distro
agnostic so it works on fedora also? And I believe that the author
would welcome and feedback in making his application more security
wise and better for end users.

Valent.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 17:39 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2008 5:11 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Unfortunately this utility seems very Debian/Ubuntu specific - for
> > > example there's some code that shells out to dpkg and apt-get. Plus I
> > > see some rather dubious code... First of all, it seems to want to run
> > > as root, which shouldn't be necessary to use XRandR. Second, code
> > > like this:
> > >
> > > self.command = 'sudo rm -R '
> > > self.remove(files, verb)
> > >
> > > seems to be begging to be exploited. I think that I'm staying far
> > > away from this code...
> >
> > We are working on this for F9:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RandrSupport
> >
> > Admittedly, we have not been very good at keeping that page updated,
> > but Soeren hopes that we'll be able to land this in rawhide shortly
> > after test1. Is that still correct, Soeren ?
> >

> > Matthias
>
> Sounds great! Will that be incorporated in system-config-display or
> will it be a stand alone application?

It will replace the screen resolution capplet; system-config-display
will hopefully just go away at some point.