Old 06-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Adam Williamson

Default debuginfo for sub packages (Help with RPM SPEC files)

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 09:37 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 05:10 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > It's normal to get a single foo-debuginfo package from a foo.src.rpm.
> > Please explain exactly why this is a problem for you.
>
> I can't speak to Trever's case, but I can say that it's pretty
> irritating to need debuginfo for every compiler in gcc when all I really
> need is debuginfo for libgcc:
>
> atropine:~% stat -c %s /usr/lib/debug/lib/libgcc_s-*debug
> 327080
> atropine:~% rpm -qf --qf="%{size} %{name}
" /usr/lib/debug/lib/libgcc_s*debug
> 329486271 gcc-debuginfo
>
> So subpackaged debuginfo would actually be pretty nice. gcc is
> admittedly something of an outlier here, I admit; I don't think most
> packages need subpackaged debuginfo, but the ones that do...

Yeah, I was looking at squeezing down the size of my installation to fit
on a non-astronomically-priced SSD the other day, and noticed that a few
debuginfo packages sure take up a lot of space.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 06-17-2010, 12:55 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

On 06/16/2010 06:10 AM, Roland McGrath wrote:
> It's normal to get a single foo-debuginfo package from a foo.src.rpm.
> Please explain exactly why this is a problem for you.
>

> Thanks,
> Roland

Thank you all for responding.

Valgrind, gcc, abrt, etc. all seem to not get the symbols (debug info)
for the subpackages in my project with the subpackages. It was picking
them up in the main packages.

Is this normal?

Trever
--
"What makes his world so hard to see clearly is not its strangeness but
its usualness. Familiarity can blind you." -- Robert M. Pirsig

Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Jan Kratochvil

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 14:55:05 +0200, Trever L. Adams wrote:
> Valgrind, gcc, abrt, etc. all seem to not get the symbols (debug info)
> for the subpackages in my project with the subpackages. It was picking
> them up in the main packages.
>
> Is this normal?

gcc does not load debuginfo. abrt partially uses gdb for it.
As I can speak only for GDB:
$ gdb -q /usr/bin/mf
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/mf...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install texlive-utils-2007-51.fc13.x86_64
(gdb) _

And
$ debuginfo-install texlive-utils-2007-51.fc13.x86_64
correctly installs the "main package" debuginfo:
Installing:
texlive-debuginfo x86_64 2007-51.fc13 updates-debuginfo 7.0 M

Which gets then loaded by GDB:
$ gdb -q /usr/bin/mf
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/mf...Reading symbols from /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/mf.debug...done.
done.
(gdb) _

So I believe you should file a bug for the debuginfo consumer with
a reproducer. The singla debuginfo package per .src.rpm works as expected.

Thanks,
Jan