Old 06-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Adam Tkac

Default Drop static libjpeg.a library

Hello,

As part of the libjpeg-turbo F14 feature
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/libjpeg-turbo) I would like
to drop the libjpeg.a static library. No package in the Fedora uses it
so I don't see any reason for its existence.

I would like to ask you if you know any external project which will be
broken by this step.

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Patrice Dumas

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 01:17:18PM +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As part of the libjpeg-turbo F14 feature
> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/libjpeg-turbo) I would like
> to drop the libjpeg.a static library. No package in the Fedora uses it
> so I don't see any reason for its existence.

Static libraries in fedora are never of use inside fedora. So reasons
for the existence of static libraries cannot be in Fedora.

> I would like to ask you if you know any external project which will be
> broken by this step.

Grads distribute static libraries, including libjpeg, although the
traditional way of doing it is to recompile it from source.

When I used fedora, I sometimes compiled statically models to be run on
different systems. I don't recall if libjpeg was among the libraries I
needed. That wouldn't be surprising, however, in case I generated images
or maps as part of the output of a model run. Also if I recall well, gd
is also often use for that kind of use, and, also if I recall well it
depends on libjpeg.

I can also guess that my use is very marginal in fedora land, it is not
clear that banishing static libs completly in fedora (except for very
special packages, like binutils and gcc) wouldn't pass nowadays.

--
Pat

Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 01:17:18PM +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> As part of the libjpeg-turbo F14 feature
>> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/libjpeg-turbo) I would like
>> to drop the libjpeg.a static library. No package in the Fedora uses it
>> so I don't see any reason for its existence.
>
> Static libraries in fedora are never of use inside fedora. So reasons
> for the existence of static libraries cannot be in Fedora.
>
>> I would like to ask you if you know any external project which will be
>> broken by this step.
>
> Grads distribute static libraries, including libjpeg, although the
> traditional way of doing it is to recompile it from source.
>
> When I used fedora, I sometimes compiled statically models to be run on
> different systems. I don't recall if libjpeg was among the libraries I
> needed. That wouldn't be surprising, however, in case I generated images
> or maps as part of the output of a model run. Also if I recall well, gd
> is also often use for that kind of use, and, also if I recall well it
> depends on libjpeg.

It is actually very much used in static items... mozilla and such used
to pull it in. Commercial software usually compiles it in also.

> I can also guess that my use is very marginal in fedora land, it is not
> clear that banishing static libs completly in fedora (except for very
> special packages, like binutils and gcc) wouldn't pass nowadays.
>
> --
> Pat

Stephen J Smoogen.