Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Chen Lei

Default pidgin obsoleting itself

2010/6/9 Thomas Moschny <thomas.moschny@gmail.com>:
> 2010/6/9 Chen Lei <supercyper1@gmail.com>:
>> Yes, the obsoletes is necessary, if you don't add it, yum will only
>> pull in pidgin-evolution.
>
> For which operation? Can you elaborate a bit?
>
> --
> Thomas Moschny <thomas.moschny@gmail.com>
> --

"yum upgrade" from 2.7.1-1 will only pull in new pidgin-evolution
subpackage and del old pidgin if you don't add obsoletes.

Chen Lei

Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Chen Lei

2010/6/9 Thomas Moschny <thomas.moschny@gmail.com>:
> 2010/6/9 Chen Lei <supercyper1@gmail.com>:
>> Yes, the obsoletes is necessary, if you don't add it, yum will only
>> pull in pidgin-evolution.
>
> For which operation? Can you elaborate a bit?
>
> --
> Thomas Moschny <thomas.moschny@gmail.com>
> --
But in this case, the obsoletes seems excessive, since
pidgin-evolution already depends on pidgin. If pidgin-evolution don't
depend on pidgin, the obsoletes is a must, without it pidgin will be
replaced by pidgin-evolution.

Chen Lei

Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 17:15:01 +0800, Chen wrote:

> > 2010/6/9 Chen Lei:
> >> Yes, the obsoletes is necessary, if you don't add it, yum will only
> >> pull in pidgin-evolution.
> >
> > For which operation? Can you elaborate a bit?
> >

> "yum upgrade" from 2.7.1-1 will only pull in new pidgin-evolution
> subpackage and del old pidgin if you don't add obsoletes.

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=1996754

Competing "Obsoletes" once again. The packager is playing with fire.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Peter Lemenkov

2010/6/9 Chen Lei <supercyper1@gmail.com>:

> But in this case, the obsoletes seems excessive, since
> pidgin-evolution already depends on pidgin. *If pidgin-evolution don't
> depend on pidgin, the obsoletes is a must, without it pidgin will be
> replaced by pidgin-evolution.

If it pidgin-evolution was previously in main package, then this
obsoletes is required. W/o this requires users may suffer from missing
functionality after upgrade.

Briefly:

* We need to split off p.-e, from pidgin
* We need to install both of them while upgrading (Obsoletes in
pidgin-evo) in order not to loose functionality.
* We need to not erase main pidgin (Obsoletes in pidgin)

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Peter Lemenkov

2010/6/9 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com>:

> Competing "Obsoletes" once again. The packager is playing with fire.

Not in this case.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Chen Lei

2010/6/9 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com>:

>> > For which operation? Can you elaborate a bit?
>> >

>> "yum upgrade" from 2.7.1-1 will only pull in new pidgin-evolution
>> subpackage and del old pidgin if you don't add obsoletes.
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=1996754
>
> Competing "Obsoletes" once again. The packager is playing with fire.
> --

I test yum several days ago, if we split foo package into into foo and
bar, we must add obsoletes to both subpackages.

When we type "yum upgrade", old foo will be replaced by new foo and bar.

Chen Lei

Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:07:09 +0400, Peter wrote:

> > Competing "Obsoletes" once again. The packager is playing with fire.
>
> Not in this case.

Both pidgin-evolution and pidgin obsolete pidgin <= 2.7.1-1.fc13
Fun for the package resolver.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Peter Lemenkov

2010/6/9 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:07:09 +0400, Peter wrote:
>
>> > Competing "Obsoletes" once again. The packager is playing with fire.
>>
>> Not in this case.
>
> Both pidgin-evolution and pidgin obsolete pidgin <= 2.7.1-1.fc13
> Fun for the package resolver.

Then file a bug against yum if this is a difficulty for him.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Peter Lemenkov

2010/6/9 Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:07:09 +0400, Peter wrote:
>
>> > Competing "Obsoletes" once again. The packager is playing with fire.
>>
>> Not in this case.
>
> Both pidgin-evolution and pidgin obsolete pidgin <= 2.7.1-1.fc13
> Fun for the package resolver.

Ah, yes - version should be lowered in this case. Please,
disregard my previous message.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 14:06:48 +0400, Peter wrote:

> 2010/6/9 Chen Lei:
>
> > But in this case, the obsoletes seems excessive, since
> > pidgin-evolution already depends on pidgin. *If pidgin-evolution don't
> > depend on pidgin, the obsoletes is a must, without it pidgin will be
> > replaced by pidgin-evolution.
>
> If it pidgin-evolution was previously in main package, then this
> obsoletes is required. W/o this requires users may suffer from missing
> functionality after upgrade.
>
> Briefly:
>
> * We need to split off p.-e, from pidgin
> * We need to install both of them while upgrading (Obsoletes in
> pidgin-evo) in order not to loose functionality.
> * We need to not erase main pidgin (Obsoletes in pidgin)

I wonder who's spreading theories like that? It's not the first time
this has come up in the past weeks. Most recently affected was nagios.

You _cannot_ add _optional_ packages to a user's installation _without_
proper dependencies somewhere else. Attempts at trying to do that with
Obsoletes are invasive and prone to getting it completely wrong.