Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Default orphaning tpb

Greetings.

I have been meaning to orphan tpb for a long time, but today I am
finally going to do so.

It has 2 open bugs.

It should really not be used much if any anymore as many DE's provide
it's functionality.

There has not been an upstream release in about 5 years.

I no longer have a thinkpad.

Interested parties feel free to take it...

kevin

Old 06-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 12:56 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I have been meaning to orphan tpb for a long time, but today I am
> finally going to do so.
>
> It has 2 open bugs.
>
> It should really not be used much if any anymore as many DE's provide
> it's functionality.

Depends on your hardware. The volume 'buttons' on a Thinkpad X40 I had
recently don't work unless tpb is used; they don't pass standard
keysyms.

> There has not been an upstream release in about 5 years.
>
> I no longer have a thinkpad.
>
> Interested parties feel free to take it...

Unfortunately I no longer have access to said Thinkpad =) I suspect at
least someone else @redhat.com must be in a similar situation, though.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 06-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Seth Vidal

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Depends on your hardware. The volume 'buttons' on a Thinkpad X40 I had
> recently don't work unless tpb is used; they don't pass standard
> keysyms.

And seeing as the last of the x40 series was made almost what? 4? 5yrs
ago? I doubt we're going to see more of those.

-sv

Old 06-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 15:07 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Adam Williamson wrote:
>

> > Depends on your hardware. The volume 'buttons' on a Thinkpad X40 I had
> > recently don't work unless tpb is used; they don't pass standard
> > keysyms.
>
> And seeing as the last of the x40 series was made almost what? 4? 5yrs
> ago? I doubt we're going to see more of those.

But all the hundreds of thousands of x40s that were made...still exist.
Most of them, someone somewhere is still using.

I do sometimes worry about the 'hey, that hardware is more than six
months old, so we don't have to care about it!' attitude. I'm sorry I
can't help more to fix this particular issue, but I didn't have access
to the hardware for long and wasn't able to track down anyone who cared
and could tell me what information to gather. :/
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Seth Vidal

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Adam Williamson wrote:

> But all the hundreds of thousands of x40s that were made...still exist.
> Most of them, someone somewhere is still using.
>
> I do sometimes worry about the 'hey, that hardware is more than six
> months old, so we don't have to care about it!' attitude. I'm sorry I
> can't help more to fix this particular issue, but I didn't have access
> to the hardware for long and wasn't able to track down anyone who cared
> and could tell me what information to gather. :/

I had an x40 for quite a number of years - I had 2 of them in fact - and
the buttons worked - they controlled the volume - but they didn't do any
on screen display for me.

-sv