Old 06-07-2010, 08:26 AM
Julian Sikorski

Default gnome-applet-netspeed

W dniu 09.02.2010 01:30, Michael Schwendt pisze:
> On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 00:39:07 +0100, Julian wrote:
>
>> I orphaned gnome-applet-netspeed a few days ago due to bugs being
>> reported and dead upstream. I did not have the skills necessary to fix
>> this myself. The initial plan was to retire the package, but since Erik
>> van Pienbroek said he'll have a look, I decided to orphan the package
>> instead.
>> All in all, the person picking this up should probably assume the role
>> of the upstream maintainer as well. If no one steps up, I think this
>> package should get retired properly.
>
> I've had a brief look at the open tickets, squashed one duplicate.
>
> At least two show symptoms of memory corruption. They crashed in
> g_object_unref with a saved icon reference that isn't modified by the
> applet (because it must not be modified except for unref'ing it).
>
> One crash is deep in Pango layout, with no call trace from within the
> netspeed applet. With memory corruption somewhere, that backtrace
> doesn't tell much else. Unless one is intimately familiar with Pango
> and can rule out a problem in Pango. The netspeed applet only calls
> a very few layout functions. Noticably, the reporter also had Firefox
> crash at the same time (!).
>
> A third crash is deep in gtkiconcache code with no obvious error in the
> related netspeed applet code. Could also be a side-effect of memory
> corruption.
>
> Btw, at least one reporter had the applet display wireless network speed
> and signal quality.

I just realised that upstream rolled out a new release, 0.16. Several
bugs seems to have been fixed, so maybe it's worth bringing the package
back from the dead?

Julian

Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:26:10 +0200, Julian wrote:

> I just realised that upstream rolled out a new release, 0.16. Several
> bugs seems to have been fixed, so maybe it's worth bringing the package
> back from the dead?

About that, I notified the current pkg owner on Saturday. :-)
Also have added a comment in bz and updated the patch status in F-12 cvs.
If you'd like to join as a (co-)maintainer again, feel free to do so.