Old 01-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Stefan Grosse

Default texlive + pdftex +kile: very slow

Hi,

I have upgraded my tex to texlive from rawhide. Whenever I run pdftex on a
document (unfortunately this is necessary for the beamer package) it takes
1-2 minutes on even a very small text kile consumes during this time ~100%
cpu.

I did not have the same problem with tetex.

Is someone else observing the same? Is it a pdftex bug? Or kile bug?

Stefan

Old 01-15-2008, 02:15 PM
José Matos

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 15:06:53 Stefan Grosse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have upgraded my tex to texlive from rawhide. Whenever I run pdftex on a
> document (unfortunately this is necessary for the beamer package) it takes
> 1-2 minutes on even a very small text kile consumes during this time ~100%
> cpu.
>
> I did not have the same problem with tetex.
>
> Is someone else observing the same? Is it a pdftex bug? Or kile bug?

No problem here both on fc8 with Jindřich texlive packages and lyx as well
as with rawhide.

It runs fast and I do not notice any difference from tetex in terms of
speed.

--
José Ab*lio

Old 01-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Stefan Grosse

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 04:15:58 pm José Matos wrote:
JM> No problem here both on fc8 with Jindřich texlive packages and lyx as
well
JM> as with rawhide.
JM>
JM> It runs fast and I do not notice any difference from tetex in terms of
JM> speed.

Thanks, so it seems a problem with kile?

Stefan

Old 01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Jos Matos

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 16:12:24 Stefan Grosse wrote:
> Thanks, so it seems a problem with kile?

That seems strange, nevertheless try to run pdflatex from the command line
and see what is going on. I would expect kile to be not guilty here and the
command line will point where the problem is...

--
Jos Ablio

Old 01-15-2008, 04:05 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 15/01/2008, Stefan Grosse <singularitaet@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have upgraded my tex to texlive from rawhide. Whenever I run pdftex on a
> document (unfortunately this is necessary for the beamer package) it takes
> 1-2 minutes on even a very small text kile consumes during this time ~100%
> cpu.
>
> I did not have the same problem with tetex.
>
> Is someone else observing the same? Is it a pdftex bug? Or kile bug?

It would be helpful if you would produce a simple (minimal) tex file
which reproduced the problem, and filed a bug report attaching that
file.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Stefan Grosse

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 06:05:55 pm Jonathan Underwood wrote:
JU> It would be helpful if you would produce a simple (minimal) tex file
JU> which reproduced the problem, and filed a bug report attaching that
JU> file.

I think you can take any file. But here is some minimal example:

documentclass{beamer}
usetheme{Warsaw}
egin{document}
egin{frame}
frametitle{A test}
some text
end{frame}
end{document}

With that kile uses 100% for some minute to compile. Command line takes a
second...

Where should I file it? Fedora or kile?

Stefan

Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Stefan Grosse

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 05:32:39 pm Jos Matos wrote:
JM> That seems strange, nevertheless try to run pdflatex from the command line
JM> and see what is going on. I would expect kile to be not guilty here and
the
JM> command line will point where the problem is...

it runs fine from the command line. But not it is slow from the button.

There are many errors of the kind

pdfTeX warning: pdflatex
(file /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.ma
p): ambiguous entry for `toti10': font file present but not included, will be
reated as font file not present
}] (./text.aux)

But the resulting pdf looks fine and compiled within a second.

Stefan

Old 01-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Rex Dieter

Stefan Grosse wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 06:05:55 pm Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> JU> It would be helpful if you would produce a simple (minimal) tex file
> JU> which reproduced the problem, and filed a bug report attaching that
> JU> file.
>
> I think you can take any file. But here is some minimal example:
>
> documentclass{beamer}
> usetheme{Warsaw}
> egin{document}
> egin{frame}
> frametitle{A test}
> some text
> end{frame}
> end{document}
>
> With that kile uses 100% for some minute to compile. Command line takes a
> second...
>
> Where should I file it? Fedora or kile?

kile, it would appear.

-- Rex

Old 01-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 07:16:46PM +0100, Stefan Grosse wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 05:32:39 pm Jos Matos wrote:
> JM> That seems strange, nevertheless try to run pdflatex from the command line
> JM> and see what is going on. I would expect kile to be not guilty here and
> the
> JM> command line will point where the problem is...
>
> it runs fine from the command line. But not it is slow from the button.
>
> There are many errors of the kind
>
> pdfTeX warning: pdflatex
> (file /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.ma
> p): ambiguous entry for `toti10': font file present but not included, will be
> reated as font file not present
> }] (./text.aux)

I think this is due to the updmap post script not being run rightly.

--
Pat

Old 01-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Jindrich Novy

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 04:06:53PM +0100, Stefan Grosse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have upgraded my tex to texlive from rawhide. Whenever I run pdftex on a
> document (unfortunately this is necessary for the beamer package) it takes
> 1-2 minutes on even a very small text kile consumes during this time ~100%
> cpu.
>
> I did not have the same problem with tetex.
>
> Is someone else observing the same? Is it a pdftex bug? Or kile bug?

Hi,

actually both of them are culprits. pdflatex used to create very
verbose output because of warnings about ambiguous entries in
pdflatex.map. This doesn't affect the output PDF from pdflatex, but
it causes kile to consume lots of time because it parses the logs
very slowly so that it is unresponsive for some time.

pdflatex no more warns because of ambiguous entries since
texlive-2007-11 and it made kile work much faster for me.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy@redhat.com> http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/