Old 06-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Kevin Kofler

Default -upstart subpackage vs tranditional initscripts

Patrice Dumas wrote:
> I think that this would be a huge mistake. Enrico is a very talented
> packagers he generally is ahead of his time. I was myself sometimes
> annoyed by the peculiarities of his packages, but he always comply to
> guidelines.

No he doesn't. For example, SVN revision tags in Version (as opposed to
Release) are not compliant to our naming and versioning guidelines.

> I think that pushing talented packagers that don't think exactly like
> the median fedora packager and show some originality is not healthy.

What you call "originality", I call "inconsistency". It's bad for our
project.

Kevin Kofler

Old 06-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Till Maas

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 06:52:51PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > I think that this would be a huge mistake. Enrico is a very talented
> > packagers he generally is ahead of his time. I was myself sometimes
> > annoyed by the peculiarities of his packages, but he always comply to
> > guidelines.
>
> No he doesn't. For example, SVN revision tags in Version (as opposed to
> Release) are not compliant to our naming and versioning guidelines.

So why are there no proper bug reports? And where is a list of all these
bugs to show that he does not care about them?

If you all think that having Enrico as a package maintainer is that bad,
it should not be such a big problem to properly document it and bring
this to FESCo. But when I consider that it seems that it took two or
more years to bring the problems with redhat-lsb and tor to FESCo's
attention, this whole thing seems not to be as bad as it is said here.

Regards
Till

Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le mercredi 02 juin 2010 à 18:37 +0200, Lennart Poettering a écrit :

> Handling this with systemd is very easy: you can just drop in a file in
> /etc/init.d/foo *AND* /etc/systemd/system/foo.service from the same
> package. And then, if something that is not systemd is booted it will
> only see the init script. And if systemd is booted it will first look at
> the native service and ignore the init script if both exist. ALl that
> matters is that the "foo" part for both filenames is the same.

If systemd is supposed to do everything sysv can, only in a cleaner way,
could not systemd generate sysv scripts from its own definitions? That
way a packager that systemd-ized its package would only have to worry
about the systemd declaration, and something perfectly in sync would be
generated for people using other init systems.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect people to maintain multiple
init declarations manually. They will drift, have different bugs, etc.
If there is a need for the sysv declarations to stay a long time, they
need to be either the only ones, or be generated from the new-style
ones.

--
Nicolas Mailhot