-   -   Curiosity, Are Cursor Themes that Critical? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/380291-curiosity-cursor-themes-critical.html)

Rahul Sundaram 06-01-2010 09:12 PM

On 06/02/2010 02:34 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> Why does:
> yum erase dmz-cursor-themes
> --snip--
> Remove 211 Package(s)
> Reinstall 0 Package(s)
> Downgrade 0 Package(s)
>
> Installed size: 854 M
> Is this ok [y/N]: n
>
> Although I use bluecureve
> yum erase bluecurve-cursor-theme
>
> Remove 1 Package(s)
> Reinstall 0 Package(s)
> Downgrade 0 Package(s)
>
> Installed size: 3.0 M
> Is this ok [y/N]

The former is the default theme and has been added as a dependency to a
core package. You are seeing a cascading set of dependencies as a result.

Rahul

Frank Murphy 06-02-2010 09:04 AM

Curiosity, Are Cursor Themes that Critical?

Why does:
yum erase dmz-cursor-themes
--snip--
Remove 211 Package(s)
Reinstall 0 Package(s)
Downgrade 0 Package(s)

Installed size: 854 M
Is this ok [y/N]: n

Although I use bluecureve
yum erase bluecurve-cursor-theme

Remove 1 Package(s)
Reinstall 0 Package(s)
Downgrade 0 Package(s)

Installed size: 3.0 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Geoff Reedy 06-02-2010 05:50 PM

Curiosity, Are Cursor Themes that Critical?

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 02:42:08AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram said
> The former is the default theme and has been added as a dependency to a
> core package. You are seeing a cascading set of dependencies as a result.

Should that be done through comps? It's not a really required for
functionality of those packages since there's always the possiblity to
fall back to the old builtin bitmap cursors right?

Adam Williamson 06-02-2010 09:28 PM

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 11:50 -0600, Geoff Reedy wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 02:42:08AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram said
> > The former is the default theme and has been added as a dependency to a
> > core package. You are seeing a cascading set of dependencies as a result.
>
> Should that be done through comps? It's not a really required for
> functionality of those packages since there's always the possiblity to
> fall back to the old builtin bitmap cursors right?

Right, I was about to say the same things. If there's not actually a
hard dependency here - if no cursor theme package needs to be installed
for the desktop to run - there should be no dependency, and the dmz
theme should simply be listed in comps. If the dependency is just that
*some* cursor theme needs to be installed, all cursor themes should
provide something like 'cursor-theme' and the dependency should be on
this virtual provide, not on any specific theme.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Matthias Clasen 06-02-2010 09:58 PM

Curiosity, Are Cursor Themes that Critical?

> On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 11:50 -0600, Geoff Reedy wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 02:42:08AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram said
> > > The former is the default theme and has been added as a dependency to a
> > > core package. You are seeing a cascading set of dependencies as a result.
> >
> > Should that be done through comps? It's not a really required for
> > functionality of those packages since there's always the possiblity to
> > fall back to the old builtin bitmap cursors right?
>
> Right, I was about to say the same things. If there's not actually a
> hard dependency here - if no cursor theme package needs to be installed
> for the desktop to run - there should be no dependency, and the dmz
> theme should simply be listed in comps. If the dependency is just that
> *some* cursor theme needs to be installed, all cursor themes should
> provide something like 'cursor-theme' and the dependency should be on
> this virtual provide, not on any specific theme.

That is just making things complicated, for minimal gain.

Rahul Sundaram 06-03-2010 03:05 AM

On 06/03/2010 03:28 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> That is just making things complicated, for minimal gain.

Yes and no. Purely as a desktop user, there isn't much of a gain but
certainly for a more minimalistic environment it makes sense to list
them in comps and not add a artificial dependency. It also helps Fedora
Remixes switch defaults with minimal amount of effort. I think leaving
things customizable is a benefit. I don't see much of a complication
really.

Rahul

Matthias Clasen 06-03-2010 03:14 AM

Curiosity, Are Cursor Themes that Critical?

> On 06/03/2010 03:28 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > That is just making things complicated, for minimal gain.
> >

> Yes and no. Purely as a desktop user, there isn't much of a gain but
> certainly for a more minimalistic environment it makes sense to list
> them in comps and not add a artificial dependency. It also helps Fedora
> Remixes switch defaults with minimal amount of effort. I think leaving
> things customizable is a benefit. I don't see much of a complication
> really.

The complication was the talk about virtual provides and whatnot.

Rahul Sundaram 06-03-2010 03:24 AM

On 06/03/2010 08:44 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> The complication was the talk about virtual provides and whatnot.

If the desktop doesn't fall apart if I fail to install a cursor theme
(it should be able to cope up really), all that is needed is for you to
drop the explicit dependency and add it to comps as a default package
and be done with it. No virtual provides.

Rahul

Matt McCutchen 06-03-2010 03:04 PM

Curiosity, Are Cursor Themes that Critical?

> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 08:35 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > On 06/03/2010 03:28 AM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > >
> > > That is just making things complicated, for minimal gain.
> > >

> > Yes and no. Purely as a desktop user, there isn't much of a gain but
> > certainly for a more minimalistic environment it makes sense to list
> > them in comps and not add a artificial dependency. It also helps Fedora
> > Remixes switch defaults with minimal amount of effort. I think leaving
> > things customizable is a benefit. I don't see much of a complication
> > really.
>
> The complication was the talk about virtual provides and whatnot.

I don't see what is complicated about adding a provide of "cursor-theme"
to each cursor theme and changing the requires of libXcursor, etc. to
"cursor-theme". The same approach is used other places in the
distribution, e.g., for "desktop-notification-daemon".

--
Matt