Old 01-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Salloum EL DAHDAAH

Default Fedora Enhancement!!

Hello,

I am currently using fedora 8 i was a windows users and vb.net
developer, i currently switched to fedora 8 for having a stable os
running on my machine but i would like to post some ideas for fedora
development team:

Driver Issues:
1- VGA:
ATI
NVIDIA
3D Support especially with the new series.

2- WEBCAM:
Sony built in camera VCC 6

3- Pocket Pc:
Imate JAM

the drivers are really a mess to find and to make them work and
sometimes it fails.

I currently made 15 persons turn from windows to fedora due to its
performance i would like to have a solution for the following issues and
i would like to know if there is any version of fedora that can run on
pocket pcs like Imate and HTC.

Thank you

looking forward to fedora 8 @ least beta 1

Old 01-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Stefan Grosse

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 01:22:02 pm Salloum EL DAHDAAH wrote:
SE> Driver Issues:
SE> 1- VGA:
SE> ATI
SE> NVIDIA
SE> 3D Support especially with the new series.

There is a licence issue thats why fedora does not include the "official"
driver. But where is the problem to use the livna repository which includes
non-free stuff!:

http://rpm.livna.org

SE> 2- WEBCAM:
SE> Sony built in camera VCC 6

I don't know whether this is supported by the uvc driver. If I remember
correctly in future linux kernels uvc might be included.

Stefan

Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Valent Turkovic

Stefan Grosse wrote:

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 01:22:02 pm Salloum EL DAHDAAH wrote:
SE> Driver Issues:
SE> 1- VGA:
SE> ATI
SE> NVIDIA
SE> 3D Support especially with the new series.

There is a licence issue thats why fedora does not include the "official"
driver. But where is the problem to use the livna repository which includes
non-free stuff!:

http://rpm.livna.org

SE> 2- WEBCAM:
SE> Sony built in camera VCC 6

I don't know whether this is supported by the uvc driver. If I remember
correctly in future linux kernels uvc might be included.

Stefan

Why isn't fedora packaging uvc webcam drivers? On ubuntu my webcams work
(uvc driver) but under fedora they don't
uvc driver should have gone into main kernel but they prologued that for
unknown amount of time.

Valent.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Valent Turkovic

Salloum EL DAHDAAH wrote:

[...]

If you are looking for a better out of the box experience and just need
stuff to work try MintLinux 4.0. Fedora has legal restraints because uf
US laws that prevent them from distributing some code - but distros like
MintLinux don't so check that out.

Valent

Old 01-17-2008, 06:09 AM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Jan 17, 2008 1:04 AM, Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why isn't fedora packaging uvc webcam drivers? On ubuntu my webcams work
> (uvc driver) but under fedora they don't
> uvc driver should have gone into main kernel but they prologued that for
> unknown amount of time.

Seems like you just answered your own question.

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 01-17-2008, 07:27 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 08:04 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Why isn't fedora packaging uvc webcam drivers? On ubuntu my webcams work
> (uvc driver) but under fedora they don't
> uvc driver should have gone into main kernel but they prologued that for
> unknown amount of time.

It's going into 2.6.25, so maybe if you ask *real* nicely...

Old 01-17-2008, 07:29 AM
Hans de Goede

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

Why isn't fedora packaging uvc webcam drivers? On ubuntu my webcams work
(uvc driver) but under fedora they don't
uvc driver should have gone into main kernel but they prologued that for
unknown amount of time.

It's going into 2.6.25, so maybe if you ask *real* nicely...

Cool!

Do you happen to know where the latest cleaned up version meant for 2.6.25
inclusion is? I would be willing to maintain this as part of the kernel rpm
until its upstream, if davej will let me. But before suggesting this to davej I
would rather first give it a spin.

Regards,

Hans

Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 09:29 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 08:04 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >> Why isn't fedora packaging uvc webcam drivers? On ubuntu my webcams work
> >> (uvc driver) but under fedora they don't
> >> uvc driver should have gone into main kernel but they prologued that for
> >> unknown amount of time.
> >
> > It's going into 2.6.25, so maybe if you ask *real* nicely...
> >

> Cool!
>
> Do you happen to know where the latest cleaned up version meant for 2.6.25
> inclusion is? I would be willing to maintain this as part of the kernel rpm
> until its upstream, if davej will let me. But before suggesting this to davej I
> would rather first give it a spin.

Nope. But here's the thread:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.video4linux/36224

OT: I don't know why the RH list archives are private when there's a
public copy floating around...

Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 AM
"Wes Shull"