FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Miroslav Lichvar
 
Default gpsd update

I'd like to update the gpsd package to the latest version 2.94. If
there will be no objections, probably sometimes next week.

Unfortunately, there were non-trivial API changes since version 2.39
that break most of the dependent packages. The first version with the
new API (2.90) was released more than a year ago, so I think the
upstreams had enough time to make necessary changes and we shouldn't
wait any longer.

Packages that currently use libgps.so.18:

qtgpsc-0:0.2.3-6.fc12
kdebase-workspace-0:4.4.2-5.fc14
vfrnav-0:0.4-1.fc13
gpsdrive-0:2.10-0.5.pre7.fc13
kdeedu-marble-libs-0:4.4.2-1.fc14
vifir-0:0.4-1.fc12
viking-0:0.9.9-1.fc12

Here is a gpsd srpm in case anyone wants to start preparing patches

http://fedorapeople.org/~mlichvar/tmp/gpsd-2.94-1.fc14.src.rpm

--
Miroslav Lichvar
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Thomas Sailer
 
Default gpsd update

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 15:43 +0200, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

> new API (2.90) was released more than a year ago, so I think the
> upstreams had enough time to make necessary changes and we shouldn't
> wait any longer.

That's a dubious argument since many projects aren't very intimate with
all of their upstreams I didn't even know gpsd development was
active. Seems like competition from gypsy is a good thing!

> vfrnav-0:0.4-1.fc13

Go ahead, I will fix up problems should they pop up.

Thanks,
Tom


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 05-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Peter Robinson
 
Default gpsd update

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> wrote:
> I'd like to update the gpsd package to the latest version 2.94. If
> there will be no objections, probably sometimes next week.
>
> Unfortunately, there were non-trivial API changes since version 2.39
> that break most of the dependent packages. The first version with the
> new API (2.90) was released more than a year ago, so I think the
> upstreams had enough time to make necessary changes and we shouldn't
> wait any longer.
>
> Packages that currently use libgps.so.18:
>
> qtgpsc-0:0.2.3-6.fc12
> kdebase-workspace-0:4.4.2-5.fc14
> vfrnav-0:0.4-1.fc13
> gpsdrive-0:2.10-0.5.pre7.fc13
> kdeedu-marble-libs-0:4.4.2-1.fc14
> vifir-0:0.4-1.fc12
> viking-0:0.9.9-1.fc12

You've missed both geoclue and tangogps off that list.

geoclue dropped support for gpsd in F-13 and later so its not really an issue.

What of the dependencies have an upstream with a port to the new
version of gpsd. If none of them do I think its a little pointless
updating just for the sake of it if all dependant packages break. It
the majority of them do support the new api then its more worthwhile.

I presume this would be just for F-14/rawhide.

Peter
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 05-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Miroslav Lichvar
 
Default gpsd update

On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 10:13:26AM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Packages that currently use libgps.so.18:
> >
> > qtgpsc-0:0.2.3-6.fc12
> > kdebase-workspace-0:4.4.2-5.fc14
> > vfrnav-0:0.4-1.fc13
> > gpsdrive-0:2.10-0.5.pre7.fc13
> > kdeedu-marble-libs-0:4.4.2-1.fc14
> > vifir-0:0.4-1.fc12
> > viking-0:0.9.9-1.fc12
>
> You've missed both geoclue and tangogps off that list.
>
> geoclue dropped support for gpsd in F-13 and later so its not really an issue.

geoclue doesn't seem to support the old API anymore.

> What of the dependencies have an upstream with a port to the new
> version of gpsd. If none of them do I think its a little pointless
> updating just for the sake of it if all dependant packages break. It
> the majority of them do support the new api then its more worthwhile.

xtide is another package that supports only the new API, see
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=556642

> I presume this would be just for F-14/rawhide.

Yes.

--
Miroslav Lichvar
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org