FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Dave Airlie
 
Default Graphics drivers requiring kernel modesetting

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 04:15 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> As far as I understand, both Nouveau and the Intel graphics driver now require
> kernel modesetting, starting with Fedora 13. Before I edit
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems a second time I
> wanted to ask: Does the Radeon driver still support userspace modesetting, or
> are there in fact no drivers in Fedora 13 that work both with and without
> kernel modesetting? I'd like to finally get that page fully up-to-date.

radeon still supports both modes of operation, though bugs reported
against non-kms code will most likely end up in the bin in favour of
fixing kms bugs.

>
> Another question: What is the correct behaviour when the kernel parameter
> "nomodeset" is used and the driver doesn't support this? X failing to start at
> all, as happens with my Intel G35, or using the Vesa driver, as happens with
> my GeForce Go 7900 GS? The latter seems more useful to me.

I think it should fall back to vesa by default, but not sure why intel
works different, I think nouveau may check for modesetting support
earlier and bail when fallback is possible.

Dave.


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 AM
"Dennis J."
 
Default Graphics drivers requiring kernel modesetting

On 04/29/2010 05:24 AM, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 04:15 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
>> As far as I understand, both Nouveau and the Intel graphics driver now require
>> kernel modesetting, starting with Fedora 13. Before I edit
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems a second time I
>> wanted to ask: Does the Radeon driver still support userspace modesetting, or
>> are there in fact no drivers in Fedora 13 that work both with and without
>> kernel modesetting? I'd like to finally get that page fully up-to-date.
>
> radeon still supports both modes of operation, though bugs reported
> against non-kms code will most likely end up in the bin in favour of
> fixing kms bugs.

Can you give a rough estimate/timeframe for when the performance
regressions for R7xx cards since F11 will be fixed? That is the only thing
that keeps me on F11 right now. When running the F13 LiveCD I cannot play a
360p Youtube video without it dropping frames due to high CPU usage but on
F11 things work fine an CPU usage is significantly lower.

Regards,
Dennis
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-30-2010, 03:24 AM
Dave Airlie
 
Default Graphics drivers requiring kernel modesetting

On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 13:56 +0200, Dennis J. wrote:
> On 04/29/2010 05:24 AM, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 04:15 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> >> As far as I understand, both Nouveau and the Intel graphics driver now require
> >> kernel modesetting, starting with Fedora 13. Before I edit
> >> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems a second time I
> >> wanted to ask: Does the Radeon driver still support userspace modesetting, or
> >> are there in fact no drivers in Fedora 13 that work both with and without
> >> kernel modesetting? I'd like to finally get that page fully up-to-date.
> >
> > radeon still supports both modes of operation, though bugs reported
> > against non-kms code will most likely end up in the bin in favour of
> > fixing kms bugs.
>
> Can you give a rough estimate/timeframe for when the performance
> regressions for R7xx cards since F11 will be fixed? That is the only thing
> that keeps me on F11 right now. When running the F13 LiveCD I cannot play a
> 360p Youtube video without it dropping frames due to high CPU usage but on
> F11 things work fine an CPU usage is significantly lower.


If you are on an AGP card I suspect its that, we haven't had much
reports of speed problems on r700 normally. There are some patches going
in upstream to help with that, not sure if they'll make F-13 at this
point.

Dave.


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-30-2010, 02:34 PM
"Dennis J."
 
Default Graphics drivers requiring kernel modesetting

On 04/30/2010 05:24 AM, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 13:56 +0200, Dennis J. wrote:
>> On 04/29/2010 05:24 AM, Dave Airlie wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 04:15 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
>>>> As far as I understand, both Nouveau and the Intel graphics driver now require
>>>> kernel modesetting, starting with Fedora 13. Before I edit
>>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems a second time I
>>>> wanted to ask: Does the Radeon driver still support userspace modesetting, or
>>>> are there in fact no drivers in Fedora 13 that work both with and without
>>>> kernel modesetting? I'd like to finally get that page fully up-to-date.
>>>
>>> radeon still supports both modes of operation, though bugs reported
>>> against non-kms code will most likely end up in the bin in favour of
>>> fixing kms bugs.
>>
>> Can you give a rough estimate/timeframe for when the performance
>> regressions for R7xx cards since F11 will be fixed? That is the only thing
>> that keeps me on F11 right now. When running the F13 LiveCD I cannot play a
>> 360p Youtube video without it dropping frames due to high CPU usage but on
>> F11 things work fine an CPU usage is significantly lower.
>
>
> If you are on an AGP card I suspect its that, we haven't had much
> reports of speed problems on r700 normally. There are some patches going
> in upstream to help with that, not sure if they'll make F-13 at this
> point.

It's a PCI Express card. I filed a bug here a while ago that contains all
kinds of logs and a link to a smolt profile:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=553059

(I have to use "nouveau.modeset=0" for booting in that bug because without
that the F13 doesn't boot at all. See
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=530784
for more information on that.)

Regards,
Dennis
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org