Old 04-28-2010, 07:13 AM
He Rui

Default Preupgrade Test Day - Thursday 2010-04-29

Greetings testers,

Preupgrade Test Day is coming tomorrow:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-04-29_Preupgrade

Preupgrade[1] is a hot topic whose usage, steps and issues are often
discussed in the community, so this time we mainly focus on this
important feature and try to summarize all the problems encountered
during upgrade. Test cases have been designed to cover common
circumstances, including low /boot space status. Therefore, if you are
interested in preupgrade or plan to upgrade your system in this way,
please show up yourself in this event and help discovering bugs within
it before F13 final release.

Now it's nearly the end of F13 test day schedule, so why not take this
chance to participate and have fun from it?!
φ(* ̄0 ̄)>

Cheers,
Hurry

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Preupgrade
--
Contacts

FAS Name: Rhe
Location: Beijing/UTC+8
TEL: 86-010-62608141
IRC nick: rhe #fedora-qa #fedora-zh

Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Kevin Kofler

He Rui wrote:
> Test cases have been designed to cover common circumstances, including low
> /boot space status.

Why does the "too low /boot space to install" testcase (which is actually
the common case when upgrading from F12 or F11) still require manually
removing excess kernels, 6 months after this issue became initially known?
Preupgrade should do this automatically. After the upgrade, ALL the old
kernels will be removed anyway, so I don't see how it hurts to remove all
except the running one right away.

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Richard Hughes

On 29 April 2010 07:51, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:
> Why does the "too low /boot space to install" testcase (which is actually
> the common case when upgrading from F12 or F11) still require manually
> removing excess kernels, 6 months after this issue became initially known?

Because nobody has written a patch to do this yet.

> Preupgrade should do this automatically. After the upgrade, ALL the old
> kernels will be removed anyway, so I don't see how it hurts to remove all
> except the running one right away.

Sure, as long as you're currently running the latest kernel then I
guess this makes sense. Patches very welcome.

Richard.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Liang Suilong

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:

On 29 April 2010 07:51, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:

> Why does the "too low /boot space to install" testcase (which is actually

> the common case when upgrading from F12 or F11) still require manually

> removing excess kernels, 6 months after this issue became initially known?

Because nobody has written a patch to do this yet.

> Preupgrade should do this automatically. After the upgrade, ALL the old

> kernels will be removed anyway, so I don't see how it hurts to remove all

> except the running one right away.

Sure, as long as you're currently running the latest kernel then I

guess this makes sense. Patches very welcome.

Richard.

Fedora && Debian User, former Ubuntu User
My Page: http://www.liangsuilong.info
Fedora Project Contributor -- Packager && Ambassador

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Liangsuilong

Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Liang Suilong

Sorry, I sent a blank mail to list.*
When user starts to use preupgrade, it downloads installer files into /boot. Then reboot the computer and begin the upgrade process.*
The method will cause a problem, if /boot does not have enough spaces, preupgrade can not finish the upgrade.*

Preupgrade is a tool to download netinstall files to local disk and configure the grub and calculate how many packages your system should be upgraded. So why not put the installer file to / or another bigger directory. I think that preupgrade can create a directory in root partition and put installer into it. The installer should run after reconfigure the grub.conf or grub.cfg for grub 2. I believe that that is better than files locating in /boot for the reason that root filesystem usually has more spaces.*

Liang Suilong