FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 PM
"Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)"
 
Default ImageMagick update

I'll plan update ImageMagick now -

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=579458



ABI change follow.



And according it I have some questions. New minor version of IM made
around 1-2 times in week. What policy I should use to handle it? Have
it worth update it in rawhide each time when new version arrived (I
hope no)? For stable releases I though in action

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_guidelines
and shortly I should submit updates only for bugfixes.



Must I notify someone about coming update? How? Is it enough write here?



--

With best wishes, Pavel Alexeev aka Pahan-Hubbitus.






--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Christoph Wickert
 
Default ImageMagick update

Am Sonntag, den 25.04.2010, 18:11 +0400 schrieb Pavel Alexeev (aka
Pahan-Hubbitus):
> I'll plan update ImageMagick now -

[snipped]

> Must I notify someone about coming update? How? Is it enough write
> here?

I suggest to use
repoquery --whatrequires ImageMagick
and
repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide --whatrequires
ImageMagick
and mail all the owners of the packages directly. You can use
<packagename>-owner@fedoraproject.org instead of looking up the
individual addresses.

Regards,
Christoph



--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default ImageMagick update

Christoph Wickert wrote:
> repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide --whatrequires
> ImageMagick

FYI, repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires ImageMagick does the trick
too.

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Orcan Ogetbil
 
Default ImageMagick update

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Christoph Wickert wrote:
>> repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide --whatrequires
>> ImageMagick
>
> FYI, repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires ImageMagick does the trick
> too.
>

That does not detect packages that require ImageMagick-c++,
ImageMagick-perl etc. The wildcard * seems to work. So it would be
good to run a command to include the subpackages of ImageMagick, with
the --alldeps flag, e.g.

$ repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires --alldeps ImageMagick*
etc

Orcan
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 PM
"Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)"
 
Default ImageMagick update

26.04.2010 05:04, Orcan Ogetbil пишет:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>
>>> repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide --whatrequires
>>> ImageMagick
>>>
>> FYI, repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires ImageMagick does the trick
>> too.
>>
>>
> That does not detect packages that require ImageMagick-c++,
> ImageMagick-perl etc. The wildcard * seems to work. So it would be
> good to run a command to include the subpackages of ImageMagick, with
> the --alldeps flag, e.g.
>
> $ repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires --alldeps ImageMagick*
> etc
>
> Orcan
>
It produce big list of packages, thank you.

What about second part of my questions? How frequently I should (can)
update package?
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Orcan Ogetbil
 
Default ImageMagick update

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
> 26.04.2010 05:04, Orcan Ogetbil пишет:
>> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>
>>> Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>>
>>>> repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide --whatrequires
>>>> ImageMagick
>>>>
>>> FYI, repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires ImageMagick does the trick
>>> too.
>>>
>>>
>> That does not detect packages that require ImageMagick-c++,
>> ImageMagick-perl etc. The wildcard * *seems to work. So it would be
>> good to run a command to include the subpackages of ImageMagick, with
>> the --alldeps flag, e.g.
>>
>> $ repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires --alldeps ImageMagick*
>> etc
>>
>> Orcan
>>
> It produce big list of packages, thank you.
>
> What about second part of my questions? How frequently I should (can)
> update package?

There was a huge debate about the updating packages policy in the last
months in this list. I don't think there is a unique answer to this
question.

I would say, it is left to the decision of the maintainer. It all
comes down how big the update is.

* Suppose there is a big API/ABI change: If you believe that you can
deal with rebuilding all the dependent packages, and support them all
in stable branches, go ahead and update. Otherwise update only in
rawhide and let people know that they need to rebuild their packages,
or rebuild them yourself.
* Just a bugfix release, with no API/ABI breakage: In this case it
should be safe to update.

I tried to answer the question as neutral as possible as I don't want
to restart the bitchfest.

Orcan
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 05-16-2010, 03:14 PM
"Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)"
 
Default ImageMagick update

03.05.2010 03:37, Orcan Ogetbil пишет:

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:


26.04.2010 05:04, Orcan Ogetbil пишет:


On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:



Christoph Wickert wrote:



repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide --whatrequires
ImageMagick



FYI, repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires ImageMagick does the trick
too.




That does not detect packages that require ImageMagick-c++,
ImageMagick-perl etc. The wildcard * *seems to work. So it would be
good to run a command to include the subpackages of ImageMagick, with
the --alldeps flag, e.g.

$ repoquery --repoid=rawhide --whatrequires --alldeps ImageMagick*
etc

Orcan



It produce big list of packages, thank you.

What about second part of my questions? How frequently I should (can)
update package?


There was a huge debate about the updating packages policy in the last
months in this list. I don't think there is a unique answer to this
question.

I would say, it is left to the decision of the maintainer. It all
comes down how big the update is.

* Suppose there is a big API/ABI change: If you believe that you can
deal with rebuilding all the dependent packages, and support them all
in stable branches, go ahead and update. Otherwise update only in
rawhide and let people know that they need to rebuild their packages,
or rebuild them yourself.
* Just a bugfix release, with no API/ABI breakage: In this case it
should be safe to update.

I tried to answer the question as neutral as possible as I don't want
to restart the bitchfest.

Orcan


Thank you, Orcan. And off course I do not want any holly-war.

I just wonder about frequently of upstream releases (as I say before
around one in week). Is it normal update it in rawhide each time?



About ABI breakage there separate problem in ImageMagick -

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg736218.html

So, upstream is not carefully there and I never can't guarantee what
there no ABI breakage in any update...



P.S. It seams it does not hit list, i post mail again. It is reason
such big delay...



--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 05-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Orcan Ogetbil
 
Default ImageMagick update

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
> I just wonder about frequently of upstream releases (as I say before around
> one in week). Is it normal update it in rawhide each time?
>
> About ABI breakage there separate problem in ImageMagick -
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg736218.html
> So, upstream is not carefully there and I never can't guarantee what there
> no ABI breakage in any update...
>

Hi Pavel,
It should be okay to update stuff in rawhide, but you probably need to
give time to maintainers to rebuild their packages before branchings
(for example, to F-14) or rebuild them yourself.

Is the upstream not bumping the soname when they change the ABI?
That's not very nice. Is there no way to "educate" them?

You can use Debian's unresolved symbols detection script that is
mentioned in the above link. I would say, rebuilding 30(?) packages
every other week just for an ImageMagick update would be impractical,
even if it is done in rawhide only. If you are not comfortable with
detecting the ABI breakage, or if you can't dedicate enough time, I
recommend to update every 2-3 months.

Let's hear what others will say.

Orcan
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 05-16-2010, 03:55 PM
"Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)"
 
Default ImageMagick update

16.05.2010 19:35, Orcan Ogetbil пишет:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
>
>> I just wonder about frequently of upstream releases (as I say before around
>> one in week). Is it normal update it in rawhide each time?
>>
>> About ABI breakage there separate problem in ImageMagick -
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg736218.html
>> So, upstream is not carefully there and I never can't guarantee what there
>> no ABI breakage in any update...
>>
>>
> Hi Pavel,
> It should be okay to update stuff in rawhide, but you probably need to
> give time to maintainers to rebuild their packages before branchings
> (for example, to F-14) or rebuild them yourself.
>
> Is the upstream not bumping the soname when they change the ABI?
> That's not very nice. Is there no way to "educate" them?
>
> You can use Debian's unresolved symbols detection script that is
> mentioned in the above link. I would say, rebuilding 30(?) packages
> every other week just for an ImageMagick update would be impractical,
> even if it is done in rawhide only. If you are not comfortable with
> detecting the ABI breakage, or if you can't dedicate enough time, I
> recommend to update every 2-3 months.
>
> Let's hear what others will say.
>
> Orcan
>
Thank you very much for the answers.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 05-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Rakesh Pandit
 
Default ImageMagick update

On 16 May 2010 21:05, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) wrote:
>> I just wonder about frequently of upstream releases (as I say before around
>> one in week). Is it normal update it in rawhide each time?
>>
>> About ABI breakage there separate problem in ImageMagick -
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg736218.html
>> So, upstream is not carefully there and I never can't guarantee what there
>> no ABI breakage in any update...
>>
>
[..]
> mentioned in the above link. I would say, rebuilding 30(?) packages
> every other week just for an ImageMagick update would be impractical,
> even if it is done in rawhide only. If you are not comfortable with
> detecting the ABI breakage, or if you can't dedicate enough time, I
> recommend to update every 2-3 months.
>

+1, Keeping a careful look at changes they introduce with each release
and whether it is really worth the hassle.

--
Rakesh Pandit
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rakesh
freedom, friends, features, first
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org