Old 04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Default Postgresql namespace

> Perhaps I was not clear but my question was if multiple of Postgres is
> a useful to thing to have, why don't we do it in the Fedora repo
> instead of having users seek out and use a third party repo?

As I wrote: I'm *not* maintaining PostgreSQL RPMs for Fedora. What I'm
maintaining is PostgreSQL modules.

It is up to Tom to use that feature in Fedora RPMs.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org
http://www.gunduz.org Twitter: http://twitter.com/devrimgunduz

Old 04-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 02:17:57PM +0300, Devrim GNDZ wrote:
> FWIW, since Fedora/RHEL (up to 5.5) does support only 1 PostgreSQL
> version w/ RPMs, this 3rd party repository helps people to use recent
> PG versions with their distros. (Majority of our users are RHEL 5 users,
> who use PostgreSQL 8.3 and 8.4 on RHEL 5). I'm sure that's one of the
> reasons that RHEL 5.5 shipped PostgreSQL 8.4 along with 8.1.

Can addons to postgres (and
I realize we have many different types of addons... perhaps we need to know
if there's a a majority of one or the other or an intuitive way to break the
addons into categories) be used with both postgresql-8.1 and postgresql-8.4
from a single package or do they need multiple packages? Since we do have
multiple versions of postgresql now (in RHEL5.5) it makes sense to me to
keep the postgresql prefix to separate the two versions from each other.

Having users search for "orafce" if it's targeting postgresql-8.1
and postgresql84-orafce if it's targeting postgresql-8.4 in bugzilla, yum
install, etc, isn't a great experience.

-Toshio

Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM
"Jhann B. Gumundsson"

Is there any reason why we aren't naming this as closed to upstream as
possible?

http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux

http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/8.4/fedora/fedora-12-x86_64/

BTW What's the difference between upstream packages and the packages we
build as in why does upstream feel compelled to provide it's own
packages and repo?

JBG

Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Tom Lane

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22J=F3hann_B=2E_Gu=F0mundsson=22?= <johannbg@hi.is> writes:
> BTW What's the difference between upstream packages and the packages we
> build as in why does upstream feel compelled to provide it's own
> packages and repo?

Upstream, or more accurately Devrim, provides prebuilt packages for a
range of Postgres release series on various platforms. Most of those
platforms (including Fedora) only officially support one Postgres
release series. The version that happens to match the platform's own
package is a bit redundant, agreed, but it may be easier for Devrim
to just build all the combinations than to track which one is redundant
at any given time. Also, Devrim is pretty quick about publishing
updates when new upstream minor releases come out. Some people might
prefer that to the platform's own update process, which can be a *lot*
slower. This doesn't apply so much to Fedora, where I usually push the
"official" update about as quickly, but for sure it's an issue on
RHEL and CentOS.

regards, tom lane