Old 04-23-2010, 12:30 AM
John Poelstra

Default Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Jeffrey Ollie said the following on 04/22/2010 01:27 PM Pacific Time:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Felix Schwarz
> <felix.schwarz@oss.schwarz.eu> wrote:
>>
>> I'm concerned about bz 579023 [1] which is a Thunderbird crasher bug.
>> This bug was fixed upstream [2] for about 3-4 weeks. I ran a thunderbird
>> koji build version [3] with an adapted version of that patch since then
>> without any problems. Other users confirmed that this patch fixes their
>> problems as well.
>>
>> The Fedora bug has a number of duplicates with quite some number of cc'd
>> users so I guess a lot of people experiencing these crashes.
>
> And probably a lot of people aren't.

That's rather dismissive considering the number of bug reports:
http://bit.ly/9uUdGx

It got so bad for me that I went back to the GA version for Fedora 12.

>> However it is still not fixed in Thunderbird F-12 CVS. Can you please
>> push the fix to CVS and push builds to testing/stable?
>
> Why isn't Mozilla releasing a new version that contains the fix?
>
> And even if the Fedora Thunderbird maintainer decides to push a
> patched package to F-12, there's no way it should be pushed directly
> to stable.

An unofficial patched version would be better than the current situation.

John

Old 04-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Mail Lists

On 04/22/2010 08:30 PM, John Poelstra wrote:

> An unofficial patched version would be better than the current situation.
>
> John

FWIW - I use the nightly builds from mozilla.org .. no crashes at all
with 3.1 nightly - be aware if you use enigmail, that versions after the
4/05 build do not work (so far as of 4/22).

You might want to try an upstream build of 3.0.x see if it fares better
for you.

Also, 64 bit firefox/thunderbird may not work properly - I have found
running the 32 bit version to be less problematic.

YMMV

gene/

Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Kevin Kofler

Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> Why isn't Mozilla releasing a new version that contains the fix?

I don't know, but in the absence of a new release, the maintainer is
supposed to backport the fix. 3-4 weeks or more is not a nice response time.

> And even if the Fedora Thunderbird maintainer decides to push a
> patched package to F-12, there's no way it should be pushed directly
> to stable.

Why not, if it contains an important fix?

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Adam Williamson

> > And even if the Fedora Thunderbird maintainer decides to push a
> > patched package to F-12, there's no way it should be pushed directly
> > to stable.
>
> Why not, if it contains an important fix?

Because if we don't test the updated package we don't know:

a) does it actually fix the bug?
b) does it break anything else?

Just because an update 'contains an important fix' doesn't mean it's
fine to release it without testing.

However, I certainly agree this should be fixed ASAP, and saying 'well
it doesn't crash for EVERYONE' and 'upstream should fix it instead' are
pretty weak excuses.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Nathanael Noblet

On Apr 22, 2010, at 9:13 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 03:18 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>>> And even if the Fedora Thunderbird maintainer decides to push a
>>> patched package to F-12, there's no way it should be pushed directly
>>> to stable.
>>
>> Why not, if it contains an important fix?
>
> Because if we don't test the updated package we don't know:
>
> a) does it actually fix the bug?
> b) does it break anything else?
>
> Just because an update 'contains an important fix' doesn't mean it's
> fine to release it without testing.

I'll test it. I don't need it in stable right away...

Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Martin Stransky

On 04/23/2010 11:11 AM, Michal Hlavinka wrote:
> On Friday 23 of April 2010 09:03:37 Martin Stransky wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we're patching mozilla packages only for really critical issues because
>> of mozilla trademarks. We can't put any patch we want to the mozilla
>> package and ship it as 'Firefox' or 'Thunderbird'.
>
> just curious: is it possible to ship snapshots or trademarks does not allow
> this too?

We can ship anything as an unbranded package. We do so in rawhide for
pre-released packages like firefox/thunderbird betas.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Kevin Kofler

Thomas Janssen wrote:
> ...*may be included* in next security update.
>
> Well, Ralf is right. That situation is just sick. To have a patch that
> fixes a crashing application but it can't be applied, because of
> Trademark/Branding problems. And even worse, that the app has to crash
> for *everyone* to get it faster.

Indeed, this is completely unacceptable.

Kevin Kofler

Old 04-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 17:35:13 +0200,
drago01 <drago01@gmail.com> wrote:

> By shipping software using names known to users coming from other OSes?

While in general it would be confusing if everything was renamed, I think
the default web browser name is less of an issue since it is installed
by default. People don't need to know the name to get it installed or
run it. Besides iceweasel is also familiar to people.

> Btw. the fedora trademark guidelines aren't less restrictive either.

The Fedora trademark doesn't cause problems within Fedora. We also even
have things in place to make rebranding easier for downstream.
The issue is that the Mozilla trademark rules are preventing us from
packaging software using those trademarks in accordance with our rules.
I think it would be better for the trademarks to go, rather than granting
exceptions to the rules.

We could even try coordinating names with Debian to reduce confusion.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Tom Lane

> The issue is that the Mozilla trademark rules are preventing us from
> packaging software using those trademarks in accordance with our rules.
> I think it would be better for the trademarks to go, rather than granting
> exceptions to the rules.

Wouldn't it be sensible to approach the Mozilla folk about getting them
to relax their requirements so that sane packaging is possible? ISTM
that this must be a problem for other distros too.

regards, tom lane

Old 04-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:03:28 -0400,
Tom Lane <tgl@redhat.com> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> writes:
> > The issue is that the Mozilla trademark rules are preventing us from
> > packaging software using those trademarks in accordance with our rules.
> > I think it would be better for the trademarks to go, rather than granting
> > exceptions to the rules.
>
> Wouldn't it be sensible to approach the Mozilla folk about getting them
> to relax their requirements so that sane packaging is possible? ISTM
> that this must be a problem for other distros too.

I though we did that several years ago. I wasn't a packager at that time,
so I didn't follow what was happening closely.