-   -   Thoughts on using Lernid in Fedora meetings classroom sessions. (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/359681-thoughts-using-lernid-fedora-meetings-classroom-sessions.html)

Jeff Spaleta 04-21-2010 12:57 AM

Thoughts on using Lernid in Fedora meetings classroom sessions.

I'm assuming everyone here has heard of Lernid, the little classroom
ui that Jono Bacon original put together.

I got lernid trunk up and running on Fedora 13. All the prerequisites
are in place. it connects to the Ubuntu events.

My understanding is that lernid just needs a hardcoded url from which
to grab a set of event definitions.

Here is what lernid is currently using:
http://www.jonobacon.org/files/lernid/ubuntu.lernid

Event items are really simple at the moment. its using freenode as a
hardcoded irc server. One channel for speaking one channel for
chatting. Its the same model we use in our town hall meetings.

I'd like to see if Fedora contributors think lernid is a useful tool
and then to help extend it further as a general purpose remote
classroom tool. The best way to know is to dig in and try to use it.

What I want to do is submit lernid into the Fedora repositories with a
new Fedora specific classroom/meeting event url hardcoded, until such
time that lernid gains the ability to register and handle multiple
event services via configuration data. I can imagine this being
something upstream projects could use to run general training once
lernid is general purpose enough.

The only real question I have is what should the Fedora event url be
and who should ultimately be responsible for filling it with events?
I've no problem shoving the event url into my fedora project disk
space for now and managing event requests. In fact that's probably
what I'm going to do for initial package review. But it really feels
like something that we could tie into infrastructure and have be a
self servicing sort of thing for contributors to register events with.

-jef

Matt Domsch 04-21-2010 02:04 PM

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 04:57:48PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> The only real question I have is what should the Fedora event url be
> and who should ultimately be responsible for filling it with events?
> I've no problem shoving the event url into my fedora project disk
> space for now and managing event requests. In fact that's probably
> what I'm going to do for initial package review. But it really feels
> like something that we could tie into infrastructure and have be a
> self servicing sort of thing for contributors to register events
with.

Submit an RFR ticket with fedora-infrastructure
(https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure). We already manage
the releases.txt file used by preupgrade there - this would be similar
in spirit. At a glance I would expect it could be managed in the
fedora-web git repo on fedorahosted, so it appears at
fedoraproject.org/static/{something}. Edits to this would be
restricted to people who can edit fedora-web though.

Another option would be to put it on another vhost, say
lernid.fedoraproject.org, and another group to manage just content on
that server, so as to not muck with the top-level.

A third option would be to create a web app to manage a true
self-service portal. Our track record with web apps lately though is
spotty - they can be quite a bit of work, and not something to start
without some dedication by someone not on the already busy FI team...

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch