Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Linus Walleij

Default SuSE Project SUPER

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:

I thinked it's compilation question.

There are much more probable things I think, SuSE had project SUPER
http://en.opensuse.org/SUPER

This project was closed in November last year because everything desirable
had been integrated into OpenSuSE.

It doesn't quite say which things they have integrated in the end sadly,
but if we ask them they can probably tell us. AFAICS they atleast have
these (correct me if wrong):

* They use a LOT of preloading, personalized per user with PePr so it
preloads the stuff you are most likely to use before you use it. Not
strange if you feel it is noticably faster, especially if you have lots
of RAM to preload things into.

* They are possibly using and maintaining some of the non-mainlined CK
patches. (i.e. a kernel responsiveness issue) but looks like they
actually don't because of lack of support. Swap prefetch is the usual
suspect key patch here.

* They default to using reiserfs of their disks which may result in
quicker loads. The mount it noatime,notail. This is QUICK.

* They prelink heavily. (And so do we I think.)

* They have all the same problems with sysvinit as we do.

* Yes and they do use -O3 -march i686 -mtune i686

.. probably more.

We could do all of these in Fedora of course. If they are using that PePr
thing, it would be interesting to test on Fedora, it looks like a cool
idea. A rootfs with reiserfs is customizable during install I think, but
I don't think it'll mount noatime,notail default, but that is easy to test
too.

Linus

Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Felix Miata

On 2008/01/13 01:05 (GMT+0100) Linus Walleij apparently typed:

> * They default to using reiserfs of their disks which may result in
> quicker loads. The mount it noatime,notail. This is QUICK.

OpenSUSE switched from reiserfs to ext3 a release or two back.

OpenSUSE also supports upgrades that don't require repartitioning. Those with
traditional partitions >15, and backup and support strategies that depend on
them, have the option to continue using them, including for /.
--
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was
with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 AM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

* They default to using reiserfs of their disks which may result in
** quicker loads. The mount it noatime,notail. This is QUICK.

Not in openSUSE. SuSE maybe uses Reiser, but default for openSUSE is extended 2 or 3.

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/