Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Mark

Default Echo: "package-x-generic" attempt 10

Hey,

i've seen a dozen package-x-generic icons of different icon themes
that all look better than the current package-x-generic. So i (again)
did an attempt to create a good looking one.

This icon is partly compatible with the echo guidelines. the only
thing that isn't is that light brown isn't in the echo colors. I would
like to see that one added.

My icon is based on the colors of this package [1].
The main colors in that icon:
1. #efd497
2. #b18e4b
3. #bba370
4. #dcc698

Those are also used in this icon.
I think this icon looks good at all the sizes i posted now and bigger
is looking fine as well. Smaller (16x16) is still usable but probably
not recommended.

And another issue in echo. 3 shadows aren't possible this shadow is
copied from another package-x-generic but the way the shadow is shown
in it isn't possible in real life (except with multiple light
sources).

So what do you think?

[1] http://www.markdbd.com/proyectos/google_reader_notifier/images/install.png

Old 01-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 23:53 +0100, Mark wrote:
> Hey,
>
> i've seen a dozen package-x-generic icons of different icon themes
> that all look better than the current package-x-generic. So i (again)
> did an attempt to create a good looking one.
>
> This icon is partly compatible with the echo guidelines. the only
> thing that isn't is that light brown isn't in the echo colors. I would
> like to see that one added.
>
> My icon is based on the colors of this package [1].
> The main colors in that icon:
> 1. #efd497
> 2. #b18e4b
> 3. #bba370
> 4. #dcc698
>
> Those are also used in this icon.
> I think this icon looks good at all the sizes i posted now and bigger
> is looking fine as well. Smaller (16x16) is still usable but probably
> not recommended.
>
> And another issue in echo. 3 shadows aren't possible this shadow is
> copied from another package-x-generic but the way the shadow is shown
> in it isn't possible in real life (except with multiple light
> sources).
>
> So what do you think?
>
> [1] http://www.markdbd.com/proyectos/google_reader_notifier/images/install.png

To be frank, to me it seems like if the package was looked at through a
mist. Could you make stronger outline and use darker colours, I am OK
with the package icon I send you (well, after all it were my changes
that resulted in that), though it might be a little brighter. But if you
brighten it too much it does not fit Echo or even becomes bland.

As for the shadows. They aren't supposed to be real (nor completely
unreal), but they are supposed to be consistent throughout the whole
theme. So the shadow is mostly OK as is. Most is at the back part, and
some in the front as well... Oh, and these shadows surely are possible
in real world, you'd just need to have the light source close enough...

Martin

Old 01-13-2008, 12:04 AM
Mark

2008/1/13, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:

> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 23:53 +0100, Mark wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > i've seen a dozen package-x-generic icons of different icon themes
> > that all look better than the current package-x-generic. So i (again)
> > did an attempt to create a good looking one.
> >
> > This icon is partly compatible with the echo guidelines. the only
> > thing that isn't is that light brown isn't in the echo colors. I would
> > like to see that one added.
> >
> > My icon is based on the colors of this package [1].
> > The main colors in that icon:
> > 1. #efd497
> > 2. #b18e4b
> > 3. #bba370
> > 4. #dcc698
> >
> > Those are also used in this icon.
> > I think this icon looks good at all the sizes i posted now and bigger
> > is looking fine as well. Smaller (16x16) is still usable but probably
> > not recommended.
> >
> > And another issue in echo. 3 shadows aren't possible this shadow is
> > copied from another package-x-generic but the way the shadow is shown
> > in it isn't possible in real life (except with multiple light
> > sources).
> >
> > So what do you think?
> >
> > [1] http://www.markdbd.com/proyectos/google_reader_notifier/images/install.png
>
> To be frank, to me it seems like if the package was looked at through a
> mist. Could you make stronger outline and use darker colours, I am OK
> with the package icon I send you (well, after all it were my changes
> that resulted in that), though it might be a little brighter. But if you
> brighten it too much it does not fit Echo or even becomes bland.
>
> As for the shadows. They aren't supposed to be real (nor completely
> unreal), but they are supposed to be consistent throughout the whole
> theme. So the shadow is mostly OK as is. Most is at the back part, and
> some in the front as well... Oh, and these shadows surely are possible
> in real world, you'd just need to have the light source close enough...
>
> Martin

Oke, i will make a darker border around it but the package itself
isn't gonna be darker!
making it darker means making it ugly in this case.
I will post new images somewhere tomorrow.
And could you add a light brown to the guideline?

Old 01-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Martin Sourada

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 02:04 +0100, Mark wrote:
> 2008/1/13, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> >
> > On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 23:53 +0100, Mark wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > i've seen a dozen package-x-generic icons of different icon themes
> > > that all look better than the current package-x-generic. So i (again)
> > > did an attempt to create a good looking one.
> > >
> > > This icon is partly compatible with the echo guidelines. the only
> > > thing that isn't is that light brown isn't in the echo colors. I would
> > > like to see that one added.
> > >
> > > My icon is based on the colors of this package [1].
> > > The main colors in that icon:
> > > 1. #efd497
> > > 2. #b18e4b
> > > 3. #bba370
> > > 4. #dcc698
> > >
> > > Those are also used in this icon.
> > > I think this icon looks good at all the sizes i posted now and bigger
> > > is looking fine as well. Smaller (16x16) is still usable but probably
> > > not recommended.
> > >
> > > And another issue in echo. 3 shadows aren't possible this shadow is
> > > copied from another package-x-generic but the way the shadow is shown
> > > in it isn't possible in real life (except with multiple light
> > > sources).
> > >
> > > So what do you think?
> > >
> > > [1] http://www.markdbd.com/proyectos/google_reader_notifier/images/install.png
> >
> > To be frank, to me it seems like if the package was looked at through a
> > mist. Could you make stronger outline and use darker colours, I am OK
> > with the package icon I send you (well, after all it were my changes
> > that resulted in that), though it might be a little brighter. But if you
> > brighten it too much it does not fit Echo or even becomes bland.
> >
> > As for the shadows. They aren't supposed to be real (nor completely
> > unreal), but they are supposed to be consistent throughout the whole
> > theme. So the shadow is mostly OK as is. Most is at the back part, and
> > some in the front as well... Oh, and these shadows surely are possible
> > in real world, you'd just need to have the light source close enough...
> >
> > Martin
>
> Oke, i will make a darker border around it but the package itself
> isn't gonna be darker!
Than it most likely will not be in the echo-icon-theme. It's just to
much brighter than the rest of the theme and does not would not work
good with the rest (though by itself it might be very nice).

> making it darker means making it ugly in this case.
That's your opinion, mine is on the contrary.
> I will post new images somewhere tomorrow.
Cool.
> And could you add a light brown to the guideline?

Nope, we are not going add any more brown hues to the guidelines. We
have enough brown there already and you are not tied to the very hues
that are in the guidelines, but it should look like it IS based of the
colour palette in guidelines, which your bright package is clearly not.
Though to me it really seems like if it was proper echo icon, only
viewed through mist. Thinking about it, you should maybe play with the
contrast...

Martin

Old 01-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Martin Sourada

Hm, I've just opened it in ikscape to see why it looks like looked at
through mist, and the main problem here is clearly the outline. Please
use darker colour on the outlines than on the icon itself. Brighter
borders work good only in some special cases (or with dark icons).

Martin

Old 01-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Mark

2008/1/13, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> Hm, I've just opened it in ikscape to see why it looks like looked at
> through mist, and the main problem here is clearly the outline. Please
> use darker colour on the outlines than on the icon itself. Brighter
> borders work good only in some special cases (or with dark icons).
>
> Martin

And here is the promised update.
It's amazing what a simple border color change can do in a image. the
complete image now looks darker than before while it's really only the
border that's changed.

comments and critics?

Old 01-13-2008, 01:36 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

2008/1/13, Mark <markg85@gmail.com>:
2008/1/13, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:
> Hm, I've just opened it in ikscape to see why it looks like looked at
> through mist, and the main problem here is clearly the outline. Please

> use darker colour on the outlines than on the icon itself. Brighter
> borders work good only in some special cases (or with dark icons).
>
> Martin

And here is the promised update.
It's amazing what a simple border color change can do in a image. the

complete image now looks darker than before while it's really only the
border that's changed.

comments and critics?

Isn't it too bright?
--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/

Old 01-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Mark

the preferences-desktop icon is about as bright as this one is now.
So i think it fits perfectly.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Martin Sourada

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 15:53 +0100, Mark wrote:
> the preferences-desktop icon is about as bright as this one is now.
> So i think it fits perfectly.

Not at all (IMO). It's not only about how bright it physically is, but
also how bright it feels, and in that case you need to compare it with
icons that will be together with it. I created an image where I compare
folder-network (since it has both globe which is used for more mimetypes
and a folder which is quite often seen in nautilus), your
package-x-generic and the one from guidelines. You can compare for
yourself. I think you should see that your package looks odd among the
other two (while good by itself).

Solution offers itself. Make it darker and make the colours more
vibrant, or take the one from guidelines and work a little on the
gradients if you think it is too dark.

Martin

Old 01-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Mark

2008/1/13, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@gmail.com>:

> On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 15:53 +0100, Mark wrote:
> > the preferences-desktop icon is about as bright as this one is now.
> > So i think it fits perfectly.
> >
> Not at all (IMO). It's not only about how bright it physically is, but
> also how bright it feels, and in that case you need to compare it with
> icons that will be together with it. I created an image where I compare
> folder-network (since it has both globe which is used for more mimetypes
> and a folder which is quite often seen in nautilus), your
> package-x-generic and the one from guidelines. You can compare for
> yourself. I think you should see that your package looks odd among the
> other two (while good by itself).
>
> Solution offers itself. Make it darker and make the colours more
> vibrant, or take the one from guidelines and work a little on the
> gradients if you think it is too dark.
>
> Martin

i could redo all the folder icons in the same colors as this box of
mine ^_^ than it will fit in echo.
but seriously. the current package icon is way to dark.. and if you
make the comparison than please do it with the new globe you made (the
one with the stars(?) in it) than it might fit better.