FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-17-2010, 04:46 AM
Ben Boeckel
 
Default HAL status

Hi,

With X no longer using HAL for device configuration, what the status of
completely replacing HAL? I know udev, upower, and udisks are destined
to replace it, but since I run a tight setup and HAL is not in the
"Minimal" install on the F-13 media, I was wondering when a setup
completely without HAL would be possible (upower currently depends on it
through pm-utils). Thanks.

--Ben

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Matthias Clasen
 
Default HAL status

On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 04:46 +0000, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With X no longer using HAL for device configuration, what the status of
> completely replacing HAL? I know udev, upower, and udisks are destined
> to replace it, but since I run a tight setup and HAL is not in the
> "Minimal" install on the F-13 media, I was wondering when a setup
> completely without HAL would be possible (upower currently depends on it
> through pm-utils). Thanks.

We are tracking the progress towards hal removal here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HalRemoval

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-18-2010, 01:27 PM
Mike Chambers
 
Default HAL status

On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 22:03 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 04:46 +0000, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > With X no longer using HAL for device configuration, what the status of
> > completely replacing HAL? I know udev, upower, and udisks are destined
> > to replace it, but since I run a tight setup and HAL is not in the
> > "Minimal" install on the F-13 media, I was wondering when a setup
> > completely without HAL would be possible (upower currently depends on it
> > through pm-utils). Thanks.
>
> We are tracking the progress towards hal removal here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HalRemoval

Here are some deps that I saw when trying to remove it..

Removing:
hal x86_64
0.5.14-3.fc13 installed
1.2 M
Removing for dependencies:
compiz-gnome x86_64
0.8.6-1.fc13 installed
2.2 M
desktop-effects x86_64
0.8.6-1.fc13 @updates-testing
260 k
gdm x86_64
1:2.29.92-6.fc13 installed
4.5 M
gdm-plugin-fingerprint x86_64
1:2.29.92-6.fc13 installed
75 k
gdm-user-switch-applet x86_64
1:2.29.92-6.fc13 installed
119 k
gnome-applets x86_64
1:2.30.0-1.fc13 installed
15 M
gnome-packagekit x86_64
2.30.0-2.fc13 @updates-testing
8.8 M
gnome-panel x86_64
2.30.0-1.fc13 installed
9.8 M
gnome-power-manager x86_64
2.30.0-1.fc13 installed
7.3 M
gnome-session x86_64
2.30.0-1.fc13 installed
1.7 M
gnome-session-xsession x86_64
2.30.0-1.fc13 installed
4.6 k
hal-info noarch
20090716-3.fc12 installed
310 k
plymouth-gdm-hooks x86_64
0.8.1-3.fc13 installed
171
pm-utils x86_64
1.2.6.1-1.fc13 installed
259 k
pulseaudio-gdm-hooks x86_64
0.9.21-6.fc13 installed
385
smolt noarch
1.4.2.2-1.fc13 installed
1.0 M
smolt-firstboot noarch
1.4.2.2-1.fc13 installed
12 k
upower x86_64
0.9.2-1.fc13 @updates-testing
327 k

Hope word wrap didnt' screw it up.


--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Ben Boeckel
 
Default HAL status

In article <1271556200.29034.1.camel@localhost> you wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 04:46 +0000, Ben Boeckel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> With X no longer using HAL for device configuration, what the status of
>> completely replacing HAL? I know udev, upower, and udisks are destined
>> to replace it, but since I run a tight setup and HAL is not in the
>> "Minimal" install on the F-13 media, I was wondering when a setup
>> completely without HAL would be possible (upower currently depends on it
>> through pm-utils). Thanks.
>
> We are tracking the progress towards hal removal here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/HalRemoval

This is the result of `yum install pm-utils` on my machine:

=================================

---> Package pm-utils.i686 0:1.2.6.1-1.fc13 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: radeontool for package: pm-utils-1.2.6.1-1.fc13.i686
--> Processing Dependency: hal for package: pm-utils-1.2.6.1-1.fc13.i686
--> Processing Dependency: hdparm for package: pm-utils-1.2.6.1-1.fc13.i686
--> Processing Dependency: vbetool for package: pm-utils-1.2.6.1-1.fc13.i686

<snip more dep checks>

Installing:
pm-utils i686 1.2.6.1-1.fc13 fedora 110 k
Installing for dependencies:
dmidecode i686 1:2.10-1.39.fc12 fedora 64 k
hal i686 0.5.14-3.fc13 fedora 372 k
hal-filesystem i686 0.5.14-3.fc13 fedora 31 k
hal-info noarch 20090716-3.fc12 fedora 51 k
hal-libs i686 0.5.14-3.fc13 fedora 66 k
hdparm i686 9.27-1.fc13 fedora 75 k
radeontool i686 1.5-6.fc12 fedora 9.2 k
vbetool i686 1.2.2-1.fc12 fedora 20 k

=================================

The wiki states that pm-utils is hal-free. Maybe the hard dep in the RPM needs
looked at?

--Ben
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Richard Hughes
 
Default HAL status

On 18 April 2010 20:55, Ben Boeckel <mathstuf@gmail.com> wrote:
> The wiki states that pm-utils is hal-free. Maybe the hard dep in the RPM needs
> looked at?

Ajax discovered that it pokes HAL in at least two places. We're
waiting for an upstream fix in the meantime.

Richard.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 04-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default HAL status

Ben Boeckel wrote:
> With X no longer using HAL for device configuration, what the status of
> completely replacing HAL?

For KDE, according to upstream, we need to wait for at least 4.5, but more
likely 4.6. (Hopefully it will not end up being even longer, like for
Akonadi which will only finally be fully used in 4.5 after having initially
been planned for 4.0.)

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org