Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 AM
Karsten Wade

Default summer coding and you

I'm talking to you because I know some of you work at companies,
organizations, foundations, consortiums, and so forth. And you may be
in the perfect position to sponsor a student for Fedora Summer Coding.

We're moving the schedule back an extra month to give a chance for
more sponsors. The proposed schedule gives us until 21 May for
sponsors to pledge funds. (Separate announcement about schedule
changes coming.)

We need word word about Fedora Summer Coding to get to the ears of
more people. People who:

* Have the desire to help students (learn to) contribute to FOSS & the
Fedora Project.

* Want to associate their name or brand with being a sponsor of these
summer coding activities.

* (Optionally) care about the future of the Fedora Project; you may be
funding work that happens primarily upstream, but it should somehow
benefit Fedora.

* Can pledge money toward funding students by 21 May 2010.

* Are interested in getting in at the start of a new program
associated with Fedora. We are already planning how to do a Summer
Coding 2010 for the Southern Hemisphere, and entire half of the
planet not covered by GSoC. This can be as big as we want to grow
it.

Is this you? Your company?

Spread the word. People should contact me directly, unless they want
to be transparent and in public about it. ;-) <kwade@redhat.com>

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010#You_are_a_sponsoring_organizati on

Some more writing on this:

http://iquaid.org/2010/04/13/sponsoring-summer-coding-get-and-give-value/

http://iquaid.org/2010/04/02/seeking-sponsors-universities-corporations-foundations-individuals-creative-ideas/

Thanks - Karsten
--
name: Karsten 'quaid' Wade, Sr. Community Gardener
team: Red Hat Community Architecture

Old 04-17-2010, 08:17 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

I was just cursing the fact that libguestfs has several cracking
summer projects, but the GSoC deadline has passed, and now I see that
Fedora has this (which I'd never heard about before). Good news then!

But ... I can't see how much money would we need to raise to fund a
student?

Rich.

virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v

Old 04-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Karsten Wade

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:17:09PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I was just cursing the fact that libguestfs has several cracking
> summer projects, but the GSoC deadline has passed, and now I see that
> Fedora has this (which I'd never heard about before). Good news then!

Grab us on #fedora-summer-coding if you need any help with putting
ideas up here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Summer_Coding_2010_ideas

> But ... I can't see how much money would we need to raise to fund a
> student?

It's not entirely defined[1] but I've been targeting US$5000 per
student as ideal. Our program covers 10 weeks, but perhaps the actual
project really only needs about 8 weeks?

That is a lot of money in some places, and not even competitive in
other places. But it's similar to what Google used for years, and
seems to be what Ruby SoC is doing. Being our own program, we can
make up our own rules, such as funding 1/2 projects.

- Karsten

[1] Aside from there being some sponsorships that are earmarked, I
also want to give the mentors room to slice the funding pool as they
see fit. Not neccesarily by cost of living, but maybe some people and
projects are really only 1/2 projects.