Old 04-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Jeff Spaleta

Default Can I have some documentation examples excluded from Abrt crash collection?

So I'm maintaining matplotlib and scipy.. which effectively allows
"scientists" to pretend they are "programmers"

So matplotlib includes a large selection of examples to read over as
documentation. Some of these example do some crazy complicated things
which make use of matplotlib and wont work out of the box because they
need additional python modules that are strictly related to matplotlib
functionality...examples on how to embed matplotlib pythonically and
other such things.

I would really like it if abrt could be prevented from triggering bug
tickets when these examples crash. The examples are deliberately
provided as documentation of examples of things you can do with
matplotlib...but not as code meant to function without additional
thought on part of the user.

Can I work with someone with regard to abrt to get these things excluded?

-jef

Old 04-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Mathieu Bridon

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 21:53, Karel Klic <kklic@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Good idea, also the opencv package would use this feature for its Python
> programming examples. Current ABRT cannot ignore crashes based on paths,
> so it must be developed.
>
> Please file a RFE in Bugzilla, and include the filename mask(s) marking
> the files you want to exclude. I think it will be something like:
> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/*/examples/*.py
>
> IMHO for the beginning it is right to have even package-specific
> configuration (like the excluded paths) in ABRT. Later this kind of
> configuration should move to the packages, as ABRT configuration files
> and feature set become more mature and stable.

I'm not sure if that could be used for my own issues with ABRT, but
let me explain it.

When I'm developing a TG2 application, I sometimes get a traceback
(well, I'm not perfect . ABRT sees the traceback, and wants me to
report a bug against Paster.

However, the bug is not in Paster, it's in my own code, and I know it
since I'm currently developing it (Paster is used to launch TG2
applications).

Would it be possible to ignore this kind of tracebacks while not
ignoring legit Paster issues?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Jeff Spaleta

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Karel Klic <kklic@redhat.com> wrote:
> Please file a RFE in Bugzilla, and include the filename mask(s) marking
> the files you want to exclude. I think it will be something like:
> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/*/examples/*.py

For the moment... im talking about things down in /usr/share/docs/*

Because my understanding of packaging policy is that examples under
docs are provided as-is as a reference and are not meant to be
guaranteed functional. I wouldn't put this sort of stuff down in
site-packages which I feel is expected to house functional code.

Though if Jono Bacon ever gets back to me about Acire and python
scriptlets I sure don't want abrt bugging me about crashes with the
scriptlet library either.

-jef"Filing the RFE at lunch"spaleta

Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Jeff Spaleta

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Karel Klic <kklic@redhat.com> wrote:
> Please file a RFE in Bugzilla, and include the filename mask(s) marking
> the files you want to exclude. I think it will be something like:
> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy/*/examples/*.py

do you want that in Fedora bugzilla against abrt package or in the
upstream abrt fedorahosted trac system?

-jef