Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Michael Schwendt

Default compilation architecture

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:42:24 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:

> I have two bootcharts.
>
> Fedora's: http://img.wklej.org/images/77224fedora-bootchart.png
> openSUSE's: http://img.wklej.org/images/50076opensuse-bootchart.png
>
> Look at many differencies.

No.

In short what you got is:

openSUSE: 39 seconds
Fedora: 41 seconds inspite of a very slow networking init

Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:56:58 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:

> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:09:13 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, I've installed openSUSE and configured it like my Fedora.

I went through the pains of installing openSUSE 10.3 for GNOME. Except for
the installation settings, which I adjusted only minimally, I used the
defaults and I did not reconfigure anything after booting the first time.

I explicitly did not enable the non-free repository.

First thing I noticed: harddisk access in openSUSE happens at half the
speed of Fedora. hdparm -t confirms it whereas hdparm -T results for
cache reads are about the same for both systems.

This difference in disk access had a bad effect on some data processing
speed tests. For huge files, openSUSE was about 33% slower in overall
execution time, and I almost stopped at that point.

For tests with smaller files, openSUSE computed approx. 3% faster than
Fedora 8 (this is on AMD Athlon). Sometimes 2%, sometimes a bit more than
3%, but I didn't spend the time to take more than 1 or 2 samples each. And
it was unconvincing enough to even consider comparing special computations
of e.g. ASM-optimised A/V codecs.

The openSUSE GNOME Desktop does not feel any snappier to me. Not when
starting applications and not when opening xterm either. Though, I've
noticed that when dragging xterm from the menu onto the desktop, an
invalid launcher file is created and gives an error.

Firefox (it's 2.0.0.6 in openSUSE and 2.0.0.10 in F8) in Fedora 8 starts
and exits from within a terminal in roughly 4.3 seconds (reproducibly)
when quickly pressing Ctrl+W as soon as the window appears. That should
mimic your own test procedure. In openSUSE it did that in approx. 6
seconds, and possibly due to the disk access issues I had difficulties in
trying to start and close it faster than in 5-6 seconds.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:24 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

2008/1/18, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam@arcor.de>:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:42:24 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:

> I have two bootcharts.
>
> Fedora's: http://img.wklej.org/images/77224fedora-bootchart.png

> openSUSE's: http://img.wklej.org/images/50076opensuse-bootchart.png
>
> Look at many differencies.

No.

In short what you got is:

openSUSE: 39 seconds
Fedora: 41 seconds inspite of a very slow networking init

I cannot use NetworkManager, because Samba over DHCP doesn't work.
Also, NM for now doesn't use network config files (it's probably done in SVN).

GDM is loaded earlier - starting feels much shorter.

Also, I've found reason of faster opengl drawing!
They include GARTSize option in Device section (for radeon). This makes improvement of drawing, but makes me use XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps to avoid shadow bug in Compiz. Also, without LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT Compiz wont start (it's not a problem for me).

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/

Old 01-18-2008, 01:27 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

2008/1/18, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam@arcor.de>:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:56:58 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:

> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:09:13 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, I've installed openSUSE and configured it like my Fedora.

I went through the pains of installing openSUSE 10.3 for GNOME. Except for
the installation settings, which I adjusted only minimally, I used the
defaults and I did not reconfigure anything after booting the first time.

I explicitly did not enable the non-free repository.

First thing I noticed: harddisk access in openSUSE happens at half the
speed of Fedora. hdparm -t confirms it whereas hdparm -T results for
cache reads are about the same for both systems.

This difference in disk access had a bad effect on some data processing
speed tests. For huge files, openSUSE was about 33% slower in overall
execution time, and I almost stopped at that point.

For tests with smaller files, openSUSE computed approx. 3% faster than

Fedora 8 (this is on AMD Athlon). Sometimes 2%, sometimes a bit more than
3%, but I didn't spend the time to take more than 1 or 2 samples each. And
it was unconvincing enough to even consider comparing special computations

of e.g. ASM-optimised A/V codecs.

The openSUSE GNOME Desktop does not feel any snappier to me. Not when
starting applications and not when opening xterm either. Though, I've
noticed that when dragging xterm from the menu onto the desktop, an

invalid launcher file is created and gives an error.

Firefox (it's 2.0.0.6 in openSUSE and 2.0.0.10 in F8) in Fedora 8 starts
and exits from within a terminal in roughly
4.3 seconds (reproducibly)
when quickly pressing Ctrl+W as soon as the window appears. That should
mimic your own test procedure. In openSUSE it did that in approx. 6
seconds, and possibly due to the disk access issues I had difficulties in

trying to start and close it faster than in 5-6 seconds.

But notice that I've used Firefox 3. It's MUCH faster than Firefox 2.
They removed many memory leaks and improved many things (eg they're using Cairo for drawing interface and websites).

Only thing that I do not like now is starting apps. It takes sometimes very long for eg Nautilus to open some window (in browser mode, ofc).
--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek

http://liviopl.jogger.pl/

Old 01-18-2008, 01:41 PM
drago01

2008/1/18 Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek@gmail.com>:
> 2008/1/18, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam@arcor.de>:
>

> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:42:24 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> >
> > > I have two bootcharts.
> > >
> > > Fedora's: http://img.wklej.org/images/77224fedora-bootchart.png
> > > openSUSE's: http://img.wklej.org/images/50076opensuse-bootchart.png
> > >
> > > Look at many differencies.
> >
> > No.
> >
> > In short what you got is:
> >
> > openSUSE: 39 seconds
> > Fedora: 41 seconds inspite of a very slow networking init
> >
> > --
> >

> I cannot use NetworkManager, because Samba over DHCP doesn't work.

works fine here.

> GDM is loaded earlier - starting feels much shorter.

we had this in earilier releases, but this does not fix anything it
just hiddes the real issues.

> Also, I've found reason of faster opengl drawing!
benchmarks?
> They include GARTSize option in Device section (for radeon). This makes
> improvement of drawing, but makes me use XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps to avoid
> shadow bug in Compiz.

I don't have a radeon card so I can't comment on this.

> Also, without LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT Compiz wont start
> (it's not a problem for me).

where fedora or openSUSE ?
On fedora desktop-effekts takes care of this.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

On 18.01.2008 15:41, drago01 wrote:

>> GDM is loaded earlier - starting feels much shorter.
> we had this in earilier releases,

Are you sure? IIRC gdm-early-login never left the experimental stage.

> but this does not fix anything it just hiddes the real issues.

I tend to disagree a small bit. It could be a net win if we'd use the
time while the user logs in () for other things in the background
non-crucial daemons, ....). It works well in Opensuse and the boot feels
faster (even if it's sometimes not that much faster if you measure it
with a stopwatch).

CU
knurd

() currently afaics the computer mainly is waiting for the user to type
username and password (which can take 5 seconds or more -- depending on
how fast you type and if you are actually around when GDM shows up),
thus there are a lot of spare cycles that could be used for other things

Old 01-18-2008, 02:19 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

2008/1/18, drago01 <drago01@gmail.com>:
2008/1/18 Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek@gmail.com>:
> 2008/1/18, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam@arcor.de
>:
>

> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:42:24 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> >
> > > I have two bootcharts.
> > >
> > > Fedora's:
http://img.wklej.org/images/77224fedora-bootchart.png
> > > openSUSE's: http://img.wklej.org/images/50076opensuse-bootchart.png

> > > Look at many differencies.
> >
> > No.
> >
> > In short what you got is:
> >
> > openSUSE: 39 seconds
> > Fedora: 41 seconds inspite of a very slow networking init

> > --
> >

> I cannot use NetworkManager, because Samba over DHCP doesn't work.

works fine here.

> GDM is loaded earlier - starting feels much shorter.

we had this in earilier releases, but this does not fix anything it
just hiddes the real issues.

> Also, I've found reason of faster opengl drawing!
benchmarks?
> They include GARTSize option in Device section (for radeon). This makes

> improvement of drawing, but makes me use XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps to avoid
> shadow bug in Compiz.

I don't have a radeon card so I can't comment on this.

> Also, without LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT Compiz wont start

> (it's not a problem for me).

where fedora or openSUSE ?
On fedora desktop-effekts takes care of this.

I'm not using desktop-effects.
I'm modifying /usr/bin/gnome-wm and using gnome-wm for starting WM.

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/

Old 01-18-2008, 03:38 PM
drago01

On Jan 18, 2008 4:08 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@leemhuis.info> wrote:
> On 18.01.2008 15:41, drago01 wrote:
>
> >> GDM is loaded earlier - starting feels much shorter.
> > we had this in earilier releases,

yes but it was not on by default passing "early-login" to on the
kernel cmd was needed to enable it.

> Are you sure? IIRC gdm-early-login never left the experimental stage.
>
> > but this does not fix anything it just hiddes the real issues.
>
> I tend to disagree a small bit. It could be a net win if we'd use the
> time while the user logs in () for other things in the background
> non-crucial daemons, ....). It works well in Opensuse and the boot feels
> faster (even if it's sometimes not that much faster if you measure it
> with a stopwatch).
>
> CU
> knurd
>
> () currently afaics the computer mainly is waiting for the user to type
> username and password (which can take 5 seconds or more -- depending on
> how fast you type and if you are actually around when GDM shows up),
> thus there are a lot of spare cycles that could be used for other things

sure, but we somehow have to decide when to start gdm (ie to not break
nfs homedirs etc)

Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Jesse Keating

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:19:15 +0100
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek" <jakub.rusinek@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not using desktop-effects.
> I'm modifying /usr/bin/gnome-wm and using gnome-wm for starting WM.

So you're doing it wrong, and then complaining about the results?
Awesome.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 01-18-2008, 05:39 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

2008/1/18, Jesse Keating <jkeating@redhat.com>:
On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:19:15 +0100
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek" <jakub.rusinek@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not using desktop-effects.
> I'm modifying /usr/bin/gnome-wm and using gnome-wm for starting WM.

So you're doing it wrong, and then complaining about the results?
Awesome.

--
Jesse Keating

Did I say it's a problem for me?