Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Nicolas Chauvet

Default libproxy addition to comps for F-13

Hi,

I would like to discuss the possibility to add the patch described in this report in comps for F-13 and later.
https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/3565

The basic idea is to make libproxy default installed plugins more in shape with the actual set of installed packages for a given system.
That, so application using libproxy will discover or receive the proxy configuration automatically as soon as they use system settings.

As I agree that this change appears rather late in the Fedora process, and libproxy is indeed in the crithpath for updates (why actually?!),
I would give an opportunity to discuss this more widely.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libproxy-0.3.1-4.fc13

So the other question is : Is there any problem in adding this change to comps for F-13 ?
https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/attachment/ticket/3565/adds-libproxy2comps.patch

As a record, on a default install and without this change: libproxy is pointless.
But If one want to use libproxy, he will have to figure out which packages to install manually. This patch assume a reasonable default, so having libproxy installed just make sense.

Thx for advices.

Nicolas (kwizart)

Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Tue, 2010-04-13 at 00:28 +0200, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to discuss the possibility to add the patch described in
> this report in comps for F-13 and later.
> https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/3565
>
> The basic idea is to make libproxy default installed plugins more in
> shape with the actual set of installed packages for a given system.
> That, so application using libproxy will discover or receive the proxy
> configuration automatically as soon as they use system settings.
>
> As I agree that this change appears rather late in the Fedora process,
> and libproxy is indeed in the crithpath for updates (why actually?!),
> I would give an opportunity to discuss this more widely.
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/libproxy-0.3.1-4.fc13
>
> So the other question is : Is there any problem in adding this change
> to comps for F-13 ?
> https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/attachment/ticket/3565/adds-libproxy2comps.patch
>
> As a record, on a default install and without this change: libproxy is
> pointless.
> But If one want to use libproxy, he will have to figure out which
> packages to install manually. This patch assume a reasonable default,
> so having libproxy installed just make sense.

I'm in favor of this change.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Bill Nottingham

Matthias Clasen (mclasen@redhat.com) said:
> > So the other question is : Is there any problem in adding this change
> > to comps for F-13 ?
> > https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/attachment/ticket/3565/adds-libproxy2comps.patch
> >
> > As a record, on a default install and without this change: libproxy is
> > pointless.
> > But If one want to use libproxy, he will have to figure out which
> > packages to install manually. This patch assume a reasonable default,
> > so having libproxy installed just make sense.
>

> I'm in favor of this change.

Looks reasonable to me.

Bill