Old 01-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Patrice Dumas

Default graphically show dependencies

Hello,

I remember that there was a tool to show graphically the package
dependencies. Did I dream? If not, where is it?

--
Pat

Old 01-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Steve Grubb

On Saturday 12 January 2008 06:53:28 Patrice Dumas wrote:
> I remember that there was a tool to show graphically the package
> dependencies. Did I dream? If not, where is it?

rpmgraph shows you the runtime dependencies that are in the rpm. Notably,
rpmbuild does not figure out shell script dependencies, so that is missing.
(But it could with a little work by scanning installed packages for shell
scripts and running bash --rpm-requires $TARGET).

I also wrote a utility for the rookery build system that captures the build
time dependencies suitable for graphing which is a little different than
runtime. This was to allow analysis of code or subsystem changes to see what
might be affected.

-Steve

Old 01-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Caolan McNamara

On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 07:52 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008 06:53:28 Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > I remember that there was a tool to show graphically the package
> > dependencies. Did I dream? If not, where is it?
>
> rpmgraph shows you the runtime dependencies that are in the rpm. Notably,
> rpmbuild does not figure out shell script dependencies, so that is missing.
> (But it could with a little work by scanning installed packages for shell
> scripts and running bash --rpm-requires $TARGET).

It'd be nice to see a graph of dependencies in pirut, see what things
are at the tip of branches that nothing depends on that could be
removed.

C.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Chris Snook

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

It'd be nice to see a graph of dependencies in pirut, see what things
are at the tip of branches that nothing depends on that could be
removed.

Building such a graph is... non-trivial and shouldn't be done on the
fly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topological_sort

-- Chris

Old 01-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

Old 01-12-2008, 12:43 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 12/01/2008, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 13:19 +0000, Caolan McNamara wrote:
> > It'd be nice to see a graph of dependencies in pirut, see what things
> > are at the tip of branches that nothing depends on that could be
> > removed.
>
> Building such a graph is... non-trivial and shouldn't be done on the
> fly.

That said, there is some of the logic in package-cleanup --leaves and
package-cleanup --leaves --all

Old 01-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Andrew Farris

Jonathan Underwood wrote:

It'd be nice to see a graph of dependencies in pirut, see what things
are at the tip of branches that nothing depends on that could be
removed.

Building such a graph is... non-trivial and shouldn't be done on the
fly.

That said, there is some of the logic in package-cleanup --leaves and
package-cleanup --leaves --all

If it could be built and saved as an addition to the rpm database perhaps...
might it be faster to 'check' or correct such a graph later so it doesn't need
to be built on the fly at all?

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@gmail.com> <ajfarris@gmail.com>
---- ----