Old 04-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Jon Masters

Default nouveau rebase for future kernels

Folks,

This may have come up already (and I don't mean upstream ) but am
interested to know what the plans are in F12 wrt. nouveau updates. Is
there a plan to eventually rebase the kernel to 2.6.34? (and with it,
requiring a non-backwards compatible update to xorg-x11-drv-nouveau?)

If there is not, is there any way (other than building them manually) of
getting an X driver that can work with more recent kernels in F12? I am
not personally a fan of rebasing so I think I would rather deal with
having to rebuild the X driver myself, but in my perfect world maybe
someone has done this already and can share.

Jon.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 13:03:40 -0400,
Jon Masters <jonathan@jonmasters.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This may have come up already (and I don't mean upstream ) but am
> interested to know what the plans are in F12 wrt. nouveau updates. Is
> there a plan to eventually rebase the kernel to 2.6.34? (and with it,
> requiring a non-backwards compatible update to xorg-x11-drv-nouveau?)
>
> If there is not, is there any way (other than building them manually) of
> getting an X driver that can work with more recent kernels in F12? I am
> not personally a fan of rebasing so I think I would rather deal with
> having to rebuild the X driver myself, but in my perfect world maybe
> someone has done this already and can share.

The nouvea abi change is already in 2.6.33 kernels in F13.
Linus got something to work, so you might want to look near the end of the
long kernel discussion about the issue to see what he did.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Jon Masters

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 15:27 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 13:03:40 -0400,
> Jon Masters <jonathan@jonmasters.org> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > This may have come up already (and I don't mean upstream ) but am
> > interested to know what the plans are in F12 wrt. nouveau updates. Is
> > there a plan to eventually rebase the kernel to 2.6.34? (and with it,
> > requiring a non-backwards compatible update to xorg-x11-drv-nouveau?)
> >
> > If there is not, is there any way (other than building them manually) of
> > getting an X driver that can work with more recent kernels in F12? I am
> > not personally a fan of rebasing so I think I would rather deal with
> > having to rebuild the X driver myself, but in my perfect world maybe
> > someone has done this already and can share.
>
> The nouvea abi change is already in 2.6.33 kernels in F13.
> Linus got something to work, so you might want to look near the end of the
> long kernel discussion about the issue to see what he did.

Oh ok, so I'll just bump to F13 when it's released, cool.

Jon.