Old 04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Christoph Wickert

Default PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora

I just imported lxpolkit into CVS, but it's not yet build because I
don't want to break anything.

We now have 3 PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora:
* polkit-gnome
* polkit-kde
* lxpolkit

As you can see lxpolkit has the shortest name and will therefore be
chosen by yum if anything requires PolicyKit-authentication-agent (ATM
system-config-samba and system-config-services). There is no problem
having several agents installed but we need to make sure that only one
gets started at a time.

Suggestion:
GNOME and KDE use their agents, everything else, for example window
managers like icewm or openbox, gets lxpolkit.

Rationale:
1. lxpolkit has the least dependencies. Currently polkit-gnome
doesn't require anything but gtk2 ether, but I guess it will
require GConf2 again once the group policy editor is ready
(Please correct me if my assumption is wrong)
2. lxpolkit is the smallest package.
3. lxpolkit will be pulled in anyway due to the shortest name.

Implementation:
1. Desktops are to have their authentication agent as required or
default in comps, so the proper agent gets installed with the
desktop.
2. The desktop files in /etc/xdg/autostart get OnlyShowIn/NotShowIn
keys:
* polkit-gnome gets OnlyShowIn=GNOME; (currently
NotShowIn=KDE
* polkit-kde gets OnlyShowIn=KDE; (done)
* lxpolkit gets NotShowIn=GNOME;KDE; (done, LXDE is
currently not supported as OnlyShowIn environment, this
requires desktop-file-utils >= 0.16 which is only
available rawhide and F-13 updates-testing.)
3. Changes are released in one update

Does this all sound reasonable? Did I miss something?

Regards,
Christoph

Old 04-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 18:05 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Does this all sound reasonable? Did I miss something?

There are a few complications here: currently, both gnome-session and
gdm explicitly require polkit-gnome. gdm has to require it explicitly,
since it needs to install a separate desktop file
in /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/ which launches it.

Or maybe, with OnlyShowIn, it won't hurt.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Seth Vidal

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> I just imported lxpolkit into CVS, but it's not yet build because I
> don't want to break anything.
>
> We now have 3 PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora:
> * polkit-gnome
> * polkit-kde
> * lxpolkit
>
> As you can see lxpolkit has the shortest name and will therefore be
> chosen by yum if anything requires PolicyKit-authentication-agent (ATM
> system-config-samba and system-config-services). There is no problem
> having several agents installed but we need to make sure that only one
> gets started at a time.

Shortest name is not the only criteria yum uses anymore. Not in quite a
while, now, actually.

Now if all other things are equal it will come down to shortestname.

just a fyi.
-sv

Old 04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Seth Vidal

Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Christoph Wickert

Am Donnerstag, den 08.04.2010, 12:50 -0400 schrieb Matthias Clasen:
> On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 18:05 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>

> > Does this all sound reasonable? Did I miss something?
>
> There are a few complications here: currently, both gnome-session and
> gdm explicitly require polkit-gnome. gdm has to require it explicitly,
> since it needs to install a separate desktop file
> in /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/ which launches it.
>
> Or maybe, with OnlyShowIn, it won't hurt.

Thanks for the heads-up Matthias, but I don't think this should become a
problem.
* The file in /usr/share/gdm/autostart/... will only affect gdm,
no need for OnlyShowIn there.
* Having gnome-session depend on polkit-gnome explicitly is a good
thing: One core part of each desktop should explicitly require
the agent of that particular desktop in order to prevent yum
pulling in another agent.

Just for the record: I don't mind polkit-gnome being the 'default'
agent, as long as it doesn't have any additional dependencies. And I'm
afraid that lxpolkit will be pulled in anyway due to it's name.

Matthias, do you or David have any plans for additional dependencies of
polkit-gnome?

Regards,
Christoph

Old 04-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Bill Nottingham

Christoph Wickert (christoph.wickert@googlemail.com) said:
> Suggestion:
> GNOME and KDE use their agents, everything else, for example window
> managers like icewm or openbox, gets lxpolkit.

I'd honestly prefer they use the GNOME one (maintained closer to the
source, etc.) unless there are speicfic problems with it.

> Rationale:
> 2. lxpolkit is the smallest package.

20k of code vs 70k of code? Is that really something worth caring about?
(Yes, the GNOME PK agent ends up being about 300k installed, but given
that it's translated into 30+ languages as opposed to lxpolkit's < 10...)

> 3. lxpolkit will be pulled in anyway due to the shortest name.

That's not a useful decision rationale.

Bill