Old 04-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Jon Masters

Default Macbook Pro 13.3" (5,5) Fedora 12 notes

Folks,

In case this helps anyone else setting up a Macbook Pro 13.3 model 5,5.

1). Installation proceeds normally. You may want to install rEFIt to
allow dual booting with Mac OS X, in which case Anaconda should oblige
by placing grub on the partition of your /boot partition. You then only
need to run gptsync by choosing the Partitioning Tool next boot.

I took my new Macbook apart and upgraded the disk to a 500GB model from
the tiny one it came with. They wanted a small fortune for a non 7200K
drive upgrade, so I laughed. My partitions are as follows:

1: EFI (hidden in OSX)
2: OSX (100GB)
3: Linux Boot (1GB)
4: Linux LVM (swap,root,100GB)
5: Shared (hfsplus,100GB)
6: Data (2ext4,200GB)

The first three partitions are mapped to the MBR style GRUB is looking
for following a gptsync within the EFI booter tool.

2). The new install has no networking because the 432b reversion part is
unsupported by the b43 Open Source driver (they are working on it). You
will need to download the "wl" driver from Broadcom. It won't load out
of the box because it can't see the device. For the moment, the
following hack in /usr/local/bin/wl_hack.sh (called from /etc/rc.local)
suffices to load (this is weird, seems the second load/unload results in
some ACPI power state change and the device will then show up randomly):

#!/bin/sh

# for some reason we don't see the bcm part unless we unload/reload
b43/wl.

modprobe b43
modprobe -r b43
modprobe wl
modprobe -r wl
modprobe b43
modprobe -r b43
modprobe wl

It may still drop off the network from time to time. An upstream driver
will be really helpful when that is available. I will need a backport of
a future stable wireless tree to 2.6.32 since I am not planning to
upgrade my X drivers for the incompatible ABI in future nouveau.

3). Sound won't work out of the box, but it will (including the
headphone detection) if you do the following:

rpm -e alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

Then alsamixer will show all of the channel options, which you should
set to 100% volume for now. The GNOME volume controls will now work. Add
"alsa-plugins-pulseaudio" to and exclude line /etc/yum.conf to prevent
it ever getting installed again. Also add "kernel" to that line while
you're at it if you'll be fixing the mouse in the next step. I like to
build my own kernels for Fedora so I generally forbid it installing.

4). Out of the box, the mouse experience is horrible. You may want to
create an xorg.conf file (using Xorg -configure), but there is a better
way to configure the mouse on recent systems. Place the following
in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/10-synaptics.fdi:

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
<!-- To add custom options for the touchpad, modify the examples
below
to suit your needs. The available options are listed in the
"synaptics" man page. After modifyfing this file, you must
restart HAL. Check the output of lshal whether your
modifications
have been merged successfully.

Note: Options must always be type "string".
The following examples enable left, right, middle clicks on
single, double, triple finger tapping, respectively.

<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1"
type="string">1</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2"
type="string">3</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3"
type="string">2</merge>
-->
<merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig"
type="string">On</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2"
type="string">0</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3"
type="string">0</merge>

<!-- Not needed with the hacked up 2-finger-click-to-drag-driver
<merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger2"
type="string">0</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger3"
type="string">0</merge>
-->
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

That will turn off the most annoying "TapButton" options and tell X to
start the synaptics touchpad driver with the ability to dynamically tune
the driver using a shared memory mechanism. This enables "synclient".

You need a fixed bcm5974 mouse driver (with the attached patch - cleaned
up version to follow) that correctly supports two finger click-and-drag.
I have modified an existing patch for 2.6.32 kernels and will post a
kmod in due course. With that patch enabled you won't need to turn off
the ClickButton support and can both drag and right/middle click.

5). The gnome-power-manager gets a little confused sometimes. Make sure
it is always showing at least (sometimes it doesn't notice the battery
even though that is showing in lshal, etc.):

gconftool-2 -s -t string /apps/gnome-power-manager/ui/icon_policy always

You will also need to chvt or similar to/from another VT on resume in
order for the display to wake up. The HAL scripts specifically disable
quirks in the case of KMS because they believe it will always work. I
have tried hacking up the low level /usr/libexec/scripts/linux/ bits but
that isn't working, so I need to find out what I am missing. For the
moment, I switch to/from another VT on resume.

6). The backlit keyboard and controls aren't showing up or working. I
can live without these until I get chance to figure that out.

7). The webcam isn't working out of the box and nor is bluetooth. There
are instructions online covering these.

Once I configured my themes, set SELinux to permissive, and made a few
other personal taste quirks, the experience so far isn't too bad.

Jon.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:12:53AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
> <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig"
> type="string">On</merge>

Never, ever, ever do this. Ever. Configure synaptics using xinput.

Beyond that, I can't find bugs filed from you on any of the "It doesn't
work" issues. If anything that doesn't depend on non-free components we
can't ship fails to work out of the box, please make sure it's filed.
It's not acceptable for users to have to remove packages, run scripts or
manually change VTs in order for this to work, and perpetuating these
workarounds in locations that are likely to encoruage others to do the
same just means that it's less likely we'll ever fix the underlying
problem.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Debarshi Ray

> 7). The webcam isn't working out of the box and nor is bluetooth. There
> are instructions online covering these.

Are you talking about isight-firmware-tools [1]? I orphaned it
sometime ago but no one picked it up.

Cheers,
Debarshi

[1] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/isight-firmware-tools
--
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power."

Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Jon Masters

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 20:08 +0300, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > 7). The webcam isn't working out of the box and nor is bluetooth. There
> > are instructions online covering these.
>
> Are you talking about isight-firmware-tools [1]? I orphaned it
> sometime ago but no one picked it up.

Yea. Upstream doesn't support pulling out the firmware from the current
OSX driver here anyway. I believe I have a newer iSight on this system.
But it's lower on my priority list than even full multitouch gesture
support is (which is already about as low as possible - drag and drop is
all I want to do, with a horrible hack if necessary, as I have) since
I'll only use it to make a small number of video calls.

Jon.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Jon Masters

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 15:06 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:12:53AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>
> > <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
> > <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig"
> > type="string">On</merge>
>
> Never, ever, ever do this. Ever. Configure synaptics using xinput.

What would be the correct way to enable synclient support? I didn't find
any documentation so had to go poking to figure out the "right" thing.

> Beyond that, I can't find bugs filed from you on any of the "It doesn't
> work" issues.

I only just found all of these issues. I'll file some bugs later.

> It's not acceptable for users to have to remove packages, run scripts or
> manually change VTs in order for this to work, and perpetuating these
> workarounds in locations that are likely to encoruage others to do the
> same just means that it's less likely we'll ever fix the underlying
> problem.

I agree. I'm not interested in perpetuating anything, however I am
interested in a Macbook being useful right now rather than in 6 or 12
months from now. Therefore I'll take some horrible VT hack for suspend,
and I'll live with a kludged up mouse driver that actually works for me.
I wanted to share some instructions for those who can't figure this out
but nonetheless do buy a Macbook and want to run Fedora with it today.

Also, I repartitioned part of it earlier in order to keep a small
staging (F13) and rawhide around. I'll try the latest bits and give an
update on what works - I don't mind being a guinea pig and rebooting to
test, but I'm not running rawhide as my regular desktop experience

Jon.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
drago01

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:12:53AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>
>> * * * <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
>> * * * * <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig"
>> type="string">On</merge>
>
> Never, ever, ever do this. Ever. Configure synaptics using xinput.

Can we just patch this out of the driver and let it print a warning
when someone sets the option?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM
drago01

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Jon Masters <jcm@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 15:06 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:12:53AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>>
>> > * * <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
>> > * * * * <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig"
>> > type="string">On</merge>
>>
>> Never, ever, ever do this. Ever. Configure synaptics using xinput.
>
> What would be the correct way to enable synclient support? I didn't find
> any documentation so had to go poking to figure out the "right" thing.

It is very easy ... it just works with a new enough driver / xserver (i.e F-12+)

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 05:14:32PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> What would be the correct way to enable synclient support? I didn't find
> any documentation so had to go poking to figure out the "right" thing.

Don't use synclient. Use xinput.

> I only just found all of these issues. I'll file some bugs later.

Please file bugs before posting workarounds. It means there's a much
better chance of these issues not perpetuating.

> I agree. I'm not interested in perpetuating anything, however I am
> interested in a Macbook being useful right now rather than in 6 or 12
> months from now. Therefore I'll take some horrible VT hack for suspend,
> and I'll live with a kludged up mouse driver that actually works for me.
> I wanted to share some instructions for those who can't figure this out
> but nonetheless do buy a Macbook and want to run Fedora with it today.

With the exception of the closed driver requirements, I'm unaware of any
reason why these issues wouldn't be fixed within a week. Encouraging
others to utilise these workarounds perpetuates the implication that
they're necessary, reducing the probability that anyone will ever get
around to filing a bug and things getting fixed. Search Google and
you'll find thousands of pages where people describe their workarounds,
in many cases for issues that never get dealt with properly because
people have their itch scratched and can't be bothered reporting the
problem. This hurts the people who then have to continue applying their
workarounds every cycle, and hurts the people who won't even bother
trying to find workarounds or file bugs when things don't just work out
of the box.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 11:18:37PM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> > Never, ever, ever do this. Ever. Configure synaptics using xinput.
>
> Can we just patch this out of the driver and let it print a warning
> when someone sets the option?

Very possible. I'll talk to Peter.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Jon Masters

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 22:27 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 05:14:32PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>
> > What would be the correct way to enable synclient support? I didn't find
> > any documentation so had to go poking to figure out the "right" thing.
>
> Don't use synclient. Use xinput.

I know how to use list-props to view various properties, but I can't see
e.g. how to set the button tap and click properties on this device from
the list of properties returned - what am I missing?

btw, the HAL fdi policy file I created was based upon a boilerplate
version already shipping with HAL in F12. That would probably also need
removing if it isn't already gone in rawhide.

Jon.