Old 04-07-2010, 03:17 AM
Mail Lists

Default vga_switcharoo

I just got an Asus UL30vt which has dual graphics (onbaord intel and
nvidia) - I am aware of some work by Dave Airlie in this area -

Anyone share the status of whether this might be usable (via cli or
other) in f13 (or f12 for that matter!)

Thanks!

gene

Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 23:17 -0400, Mail Lists wrote:
> I just got an Asus UL30vt which has dual graphics (onbaord intel and
> nvidia) - I am aware of some work by Dave Airlie in this area -
>
> Anyone share the status of whether this might be usable (via cli or
> other) in f13 (or f12 for that matter!)
>
> Thanks!

FWIW, I figure the support is currently reasonably useless for NVIDIA
chips, as there's nothing for which nouveau-on-NVIDIA is actually faster
than intel-on-Intel in Linux, AFAIK. So aside from going 'ooh, it works,
shiny', there's no actual reason to switch to the NVIDIA chip, even if
you can make it fly. I don't believe you can use the feature with the
NVIDIA proprietary driver.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:14:09AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> FWIW, I figure the support is currently reasonably useless for NVIDIA
> chips, as there's nothing for which nouveau-on-NVIDIA is actually faster
> than intel-on-Intel in Linux, AFAIK. So aside from going 'ooh, it works,
> shiny', there's no actual reason to switch to the NVIDIA chip, even if
> you can make it fly. I don't believe you can use the feature with the
> NVIDIA proprietary driver.

The only obvious reason is to be able to use displayport, since the
switching implementation conveniently "borrows" some pins on the Intel
gpu that are otherwise required for it.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Adam Jackson

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 18:11 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:14:09AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I figure the support is currently reasonably useless for NVIDIA
> > chips, as there's nothing for which nouveau-on-NVIDIA is actually faster
> > than intel-on-Intel in Linux, AFAIK. So aside from going 'ooh, it works,
> > shiny', there's no actual reason to switch to the NVIDIA chip, even if
> > you can make it fly. I don't believe you can use the feature with the
> > NVIDIA proprietary driver.
>
> The only obvious reason is to be able to use displayport, since the
> switching implementation conveniently "borrows" some pins on the Intel
> gpu that are otherwise required for it.

Any digital output at all, in fact.

- ajax

Old 04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 13:12 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 18:11 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:14:09AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > > FWIW, I figure the support is currently reasonably useless for NVIDIA
> > > chips, as there's nothing for which nouveau-on-NVIDIA is actually faster
> > > than intel-on-Intel in Linux, AFAIK. So aside from going 'ooh, it works,
> > > shiny', there's no actual reason to switch to the NVIDIA chip, even if
> > > you can make it fly. I don't believe you can use the feature with the
> > > NVIDIA proprietary driver.
> >
> > The only obvious reason is to be able to use displayport, since the
> > switching implementation conveniently "borrows" some pins on the Intel
> > gpu that are otherwise required for it.
>
> Any digital output at all, in fact.

Ah, wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Mail Lists

On 04/07/2010 01:47 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 13:12 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:

> Ah, wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

Also I think without the switcheroo the power consumption may be a lot
higher (rumor- is that true ?) - lowering power consumption on the
unused card may be helpful too ...

Thanks ...

Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 20:10 -0400, Mail Lists wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 13:12 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>

> > Ah, wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
>
> Also I think without the switcheroo the power consumption may be a lot
> higher (rumor- is that true ?) - lowering power consumption on the
> unused card may be helpful too ...

Well, I would think that if you boot with the Intel adapter active, it
wouldn't power up the NVIDIA one. But I'm just guessing
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Mail Lists

On 04/07/2010 08:21 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 20:10 -0400, Mail Lists wrote:
>> On 04/07/2010 01:47 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 13:12 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>>

>>> Ah, wasn't aware of that. Thanks.
>>
>> Also I think without the switcheroo the power consumption may be a lot
>> higher (rumor- is that true ?) - lowering power consumption on the
>> unused card may be helpful too ...
>
> Well, I would think that if you boot with the Intel adapter active, it
> wouldn't power up the NVIDIA one. But I'm just guessing

I guessed the same, until google found claims to the contrary '-)

Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:27:12PM -0400, Mail Lists wrote:
> > Well, I would think that if you boot with the Intel adapter active, it
> > wouldn't power up the NVIDIA one. But I'm just guessing
>
> I guessed the same, until google found claims to the contrary '-)

nouveau has powered down the nvidia if it's not in use for some time
now.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 04-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Mail Lists

On 04/08/2010 08:56 AM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 08:27:12PM -0400, Mail Lists wrote:
>> On 04/07/2010 08:21 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> Well, I would think that if you boot with the Intel adapter active, it
>>> wouldn't power up the NVIDIA one. But I'm just guessing
>>
>> I guessed the same, until google found claims to the contrary '-)
>
> nouveau has powered down the nvidia if it's not in use for some time
> now.

Ah that is good news ... which kernel are we speaking about here and
are you saying this will happen even without vga_switcharoo ?

Do I assume then when I install f12 (f12?) that the intel wins the race
to fedora's display heart and nvidia will be powered down ... and
ignored from then on?

Thanks.

gene