Old 04-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Matthew Garrett

Default Synaptics click and drag problems

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:55:31AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> Within the Fedora desktop environment, clicking and dragging results in
> a right mouse button event and no dragging. I turned off the silly (and
> in my personal opinion anti-useful) right mouse button stuff after some
> fiddling with synclient in HAL so I don't end up with a lot of minimized
> windows or "New Folder"s on my desktop every time I try to click and
> drag. But I still can't actually click and drag. There is a suggestion
> this is a limitation in the synaptics driver in Xorg. Is that correct?

Yes. X has no terribly useful multitouch support at present.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 04-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Jon Masters

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 17:05 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:55:31AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>
> > Within the Fedora desktop environment, clicking and dragging results in
> > a right mouse button event and no dragging. I turned off the silly (and
> > in my personal opinion anti-useful) right mouse button stuff after some
> > fiddling with synclient in HAL so I don't end up with a lot of minimized
> > windows or "New Folder"s on my desktop every time I try to click and
> > drag. But I still can't actually click and drag. There is a suggestion
> > this is a limitation in the synaptics driver in Xorg. Is that correct?
>
> Yes. X has no terribly useful multitouch support at present.

I thought things were changing in that dept. Is there a place other than
the Xorg lists or shall I inquire there for the latest status?

It's looking like the Macbook will just run OSX for the time being, but
I'm happy to test out random patches for synaptics, b43, etc.

Jon.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Jon Masters

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 14:04 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 17:05 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:55:31AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> >
> > > Within the Fedora desktop environment, clicking and dragging results in
> > > a right mouse button event and no dragging. I turned off the silly (and
> > > in my personal opinion anti-useful) right mouse button stuff after some
> > > fiddling with synclient in HAL so I don't end up with a lot of minimized
> > > windows or "New Folder"s on my desktop every time I try to click and
> > > drag. But I still can't actually click and drag. There is a suggestion
> > > this is a limitation in the synaptics driver in Xorg. Is that correct?
> >
> > Yes. X has no terribly useful multitouch support at present.
>
> I thought things were changing in that dept. Is there a place other than
> the Xorg lists or shall I inquire there for the latest status?

Funnily enough, a quick search with the right words brings up:

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/24871592/0001-Make-click-and-drag-work-for-Macbook5-1.patch

That would seem to do exactly what I wanted. I sent the author an email
and will see if this still works with the recent driver (it should do).
If so, then this would be a good candidate for reworking into upstream.

Jon.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 AM
Peter Hutterer

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 11:55:31AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On the off chance that someone knows the innards of the synaptics driver
> beyond the basic tunables exposed in synclient...
>
> I bought a new Macbook Pro over the weekend, which is able to run Fedora
> 12 (albeit not as smoothly as I would have hoped, it took a lot of
> fiddling and the WiFi is still not reliable). It is dual booting with
> OSX at the moment. In OSX, the ability to use two fingers to click and
> drag is very useful. This is not the same as two finger scrolling, this
> is simply clicking with one finger, and dragging with the other.
>
> Within the Fedora desktop environment, clicking and dragging results in
> a right mouse button event and no dragging. I turned off the silly (and
> in my personal opinion anti-useful) right mouse button stuff after some
> fiddling with synclient in HAL so I don't end up with a lot of minimized
> windows or "New Folder"s on my desktop every time I try to click and
> drag. But I still can't actually click and drag. There is a suggestion
> this is a limitation in the synaptics driver in Xorg. Is that correct?

not quite the same feature but synaptics does provide single-finger
tap-and-drag. Tap once, then leave the finger on the touchpad after the
second touch to drag. Maybe that is a useful-enough alternative for now.

Cheers,
Peter

Old 04-07-2010, 05:05 AM
Jon Masters

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 16:22 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 14:04 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> > > Yes. X has no terribly useful multitouch support at present.
> >
> > I thought things were changing in that dept. Is there a place other than
> > the Xorg lists or shall I inquire there for the latest status?
>
> Funnily enough, a quick search with the right words brings up:
>
> http://launchpadlibrarian.net/24871592/0001-Make-click-and-drag-work-for-Macbook5-1.patch
>
> That would seem to do exactly what I wanted. I sent the author an email
> and will see if this still works with the recent driver (it should do).
> If so, then this would be a good candidate for reworking into upstream.

The above patch forward ports to recent kernels quite trivially and
works *perfectly* with two finger click and drag. It's not quite in an
upstreamable state (aside from the coding style), but it is trivial to
rebuild the mouse driver with that fix and make a Macbook usable.

The original author tells me he is no longer running Linux on his Mac
but that he was told about various more generic solutions. I presume
that is a reference to the generic X multitouch work, which is nice, but
I think I'll ping some folks upstream to see if some version of this
hack can work its way in before too long in the interim. Utopia is nice,
but so is being able to use the mouse on my laptop today

Jon.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 04:22:34PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> That would seem to do exactly what I wanted. I sent the author an email
> and will see if this still works with the recent driver (it should do).
> If so, then this would be a good candidate for reworking into upstream.

Please don't attempt to put this in the kernel. It's an entirely
inappropriate place to do it. If you're interested in making this work,
there's a woeful lack of manpower upstream - I'm sure your contributions
would be gratefully received.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org