Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Jon Masters

Default Synaptics click and drag problems

Folks,

On the off chance that someone knows the innards of the synaptics driver
beyond the basic tunables exposed in synclient...

I bought a new Macbook Pro over the weekend, which is able to run Fedora
12 (albeit not as smoothly as I would have hoped, it took a lot of
fiddling and the WiFi is still not reliable). It is dual booting with
OSX at the moment. In OSX, the ability to use two fingers to click and
drag is very useful. This is not the same as two finger scrolling, this
is simply clicking with one finger, and dragging with the other.

Within the Fedora desktop environment, clicking and dragging results in
a right mouse button event and no dragging. I turned off the silly (and
in my personal opinion anti-useful) right mouse button stuff after some
fiddling with synclient in HAL so I don't end up with a lot of minimized
windows or "New Folder"s on my desktop every time I try to click and
drag. But I still can't actually click and drag. There is a suggestion
this is a limitation in the synaptics driver in Xorg. Is that correct?

This seems to have come up on the users list a while back, others have
asked, but there doesn't seem to be any solution available.

Jon.