Old 01-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Deepak Bhole

Default Policy on introducing new packages for discontinued projects?

Hi There,

I'm working on updating maven2 in Fedora, and one of the dependencies
that it is cascading into is Jakarta Slide. This project hasn't had
updates for a while, and is now officially dead as stated on the main
page:

http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/index.html

The component is not critical to core maven functionality, and can be
disabled. My question is:

What is Fedora policy for introducing new packages for defunct projects?
Specially when those packages provide optional functionality...

IMO the functionality should be disabled until maven2 moves to use a
different project for WebDAV deployment. In the mean time, users using
the Fedora maven2 will continue to be able to use the functionality, but
it will just not work in offline mode (assuming we don't package Slide).

Deepak

Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 05:12:02PM -0500, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I'm working on updating maven2 in Fedora, and one of the dependencies
> that it is cascading into is Jakarta Slide. This project hasn't had
> updates for a while, and is now officially dead as stated on the main
> page:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/index.html
>
> What is Fedora policy for introducing new packages for defunct projects?
> Specially when those packages provide optional functionality...

It depends on the reason why it is defunct. If it is because it works
since a long time, such that nobody needs to take care of it, then it is
a very good thing. If it is a package abandoned although it is not very
stable, then if a packager wants to keep it in fedora he'll have to be
prepared to be more or less the upstream.

So this is left to the packager, but in the precise case you bring up,
I'd suggest retiring the package
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/RetiredPackages
especially since there is a replacement. And indeed stop using that
functionality. If not, then be prepared to do the patching yourself.

--
Pat

Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Deepak Bhole

* Patrice Dumas <pertusus@free.fr> [2008-01-11 18:01]:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 05:12:02PM -0500, Deepak Bhole wrote:
> > Hi There,
> >
> > I'm working on updating maven2 in Fedora, and one of the dependencies
> > that it is cascading into is Jakarta Slide. This project hasn't had
> > updates for a while, and is now officially dead as stated on the main
> > page:
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/index.html
> >
> > What is Fedora policy for introducing new packages for defunct projects?
> > Specially when those packages provide optional functionality...
>
> It depends on the reason why it is defunct. If it is because it works
> since a long time, such that nobody needs to take care of it, then it is
> a very good thing. If it is a package abandoned although it is not very
> stable, then if a packager wants to keep it in fedora he'll have to be
> prepared to be more or less the upstream.
>
> So this is left to the packager, but in the precise case you bring up,
> I'd suggest retiring the package
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/RetiredPackages
> especially since there is a replacement. And indeed stop using that
> functionality. If not, then be prepared to do the patching yourself.

Actually in this case, there is nothing to retire because the package
doesn't exist in Fedora. That it why I was wondering on our stance on
putting a new package in, for a known defunct project...

It seems such a decision would lie on a packager as well though, so I am
going to just avoid putting it in and work around the dependency
requirement.

Cheers,
Deepak