Old 04-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Dan HorŠk

Default i386-class support changed in F-13?

Hello,

I was trying to install i686 variant of F-13 to an Alix board (2D13 with
Geode LX) and got into troubles. The kernel boots fine, but when it
should start initramfs the kernel panics. Everything works well when
using complete F-12 environment and when using F-12 kernel+initramfs
with F-13 rootfs the initramfs stuff runs well, but when I try to
manually chroot into the F-13 from the dracut shell I get an "Invalid
instruction" exception. I though last change in x86 CPU support was in
F-12 (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support) and it
explicitly talks about Geode LX as still supported. So the question is
whether F-13 should still work on Geode LX?

Dan

Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 02:48:03PM +0200, Dan HorŠk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to install i686 variant of F-13 to an Alix board (2D13 with
> Geode LX) and got into troubles. The kernel boots fine, but when it
> should start initramfs the kernel panics. Everything works well when
> using complete F-12 environment and when using F-12 kernel+initramfs
> with F-13 rootfs the initramfs stuff runs well, but when I try to
> manually chroot into the F-13 from the dracut shell I get an "Invalid
> instruction" exception. I though last change in x86 CPU support was in
> F-12 (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support) and it
> explicitly talks about Geode LX as still supported. So the question is
> whether F-13 should still work on Geode LX?

The 2D3/2D13 has only 256 MB of RAM which is a bit tight for
installing Fedora. TBH I didn't even expect Fedora would work, so I
put Debian on my 2D3 :-(

Rich.

libguestfs lets you edit virtual machines. Supports shell scripting,
bindings from many languages. http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html

Old 04-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Dan Hor√°k

Richard W.M. Jones p√*Ň°e v Po 05. 04. 2010 v 19:31 +0100:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 02:48:03PM +0200, Dan Hor√°k wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was trying to install i686 variant of F-13 to an Alix board (2D13 with
> > Geode LX) and got into troubles. The kernel boots fine, but when it
> > should start initramfs the kernel panics. Everything works well when
> > using complete F-12 environment and when using F-12 kernel+initramfs
> > with F-13 rootfs the initramfs stuff runs well, but when I try to
> > manually chroot into the F-13 from the dracut shell I get an "Invalid
> > instruction" exception. I though last change in x86 CPU support was in
> > F-12 (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support) and it
> > explicitly talks about Geode LX as still supported. So the question is
> > whether F-13 should still work on Geode LX?
>
> The 2D3/2D13 has only 256 MB of RAM which is a bit tight for
> installing Fedora. TBH I didn't even expect Fedora would work, so I
> put Debian on my 2D3 :-(

yes, installing Fedora with anaconda in 256MB could be a problem, but
it's sufficient for running minimalized Fedora. It will serve as a
router/firewall/vpn server on my Internet connection. Thus I prepared a
system with "yum --installroot=/mnt/compactflash install ...". I will
write a blog entry tomorrow with all the details.

Dan

Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Peter Robinson

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Dan HorŠk <dan@danny.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to install i686 variant of F-13 to an Alix board (2D13 with
> Geode LX) and got into troubles. The kernel boots fine, but when it
> should start initramfs the kernel panics. Everything works well when
> using complete F-12 environment and when using F-12 kernel+initramfs
> with F-13 rootfs the initramfs stuff runs well, but when I try to
> manually chroot into the F-13 from the dracut shell I get an "Invalid
> instruction" exception. I though last change in x86 CPU support was in
> F-12 (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support) and it
> explicitly talks about Geode LX as still supported. So the question is
> whether F-13 should still work on Geode LX?

That is correct, it should still work and if it has changed it hasn't
been a published change and we rule out the 1.2 million odd OLPC XO-1s
that currently run a number of different versions of Fedora. Could
someone please verify the status of this?

Peter

Old 06-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 06/02/2010 12:09 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> It does work in F-12, the response for the lack of support in F-13 was
> 'deal with it'. There is suppose to be a patch to emulate it in the
> kernel but apparently it won't go upstream until its a generic infra
> patch that can allow support of other emulated bits in other cpus in a
> generic way. So its possible it will come back, but I don't hold up
> hope of a quick resolution. Which leaves us in a big predicament as to
> how we're going to support the 1.5 million odd XO-1s out there moving
> forward.

Can you file a ticket with FESCo? Would be useful to track and resolve
this issue.

Rahul

Old 06-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Gland Vador

On 05.04.2010 14:48, Dan HorŠk wrote:

> I was trying to install i686 variant of F-13 to an Alix board (2D13 with
> Geode LX) and got into troubles. The kernel boots fine, but when it
> should start initramfs the kernel panics. Everything works well when
> using complete F-12 environment and when using F-12 kernel+initramfs
> with F-13 rootfs the initramfs stuff runs well, but when I try to
> manually chroot into the F-13 from the dracut shell I get an "Invalid
> instruction" exception. I though last change in x86 CPU support was in
> F-12 (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support) and it
> explicitly talks about Geode LX as still supported. So the question is
> whether F-13 should still work on Geode LX?

Sorry to reopen this old topic, but the conclusion is not obvious. The
F13 is out and it seems to have lost support for the Geode LX CPU
(cf.http://sharkcz.livejournal.com/5708.html), due to the use of the
NOPL instruction by GCC.

Will this CPU be supported during F13 and above or should I search for a
new distribution ?

Regards,
Glandvador

Old 06-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 22:43:25 +0200,
Gland Vador <glandvador@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 05.04.2010 14:48, Dan HorŠk wrote:
> >
> > I was trying to install i686 variant of F-13 to an Alix board (2D13 with
> > Geode LX) and got into troubles. The kernel boots fine, but when it
> > should start initramfs the kernel panics. Everything works well when
> > using complete F-12 environment and when using F-12 kernel+initramfs
> > with F-13 rootfs the initramfs stuff runs well, but when I try to
> > manually chroot into the F-13 from the dracut shell I get an "Invalid
> > instruction" exception. I though last change in x86 CPU support was in
> > F-12 (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F12X86Support) and it
> > explicitly talks about Geode LX as still supported. So the question is
> > whether F-13 should still work on Geode LX?
> >

> Sorry to reopen this old topic, but the conclusion is not obvious. The
> F13 is out and it seems to have lost support for the Geode LX CPU
> (cf.http://sharkcz.livejournal.com/5708.html), due to the use of the
> NOPL instruction by GCC.
>
> Will this CPU be supported during F13 and above or should I search for a
> new distribution ?

I don't believe there was any intentional change in supported CPUs for F13.
If it was supposed to work in F12, I think it is supposed to work in F13.
Did you file a bug against gcc?

Old 06-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Peter Robinson

Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Peter Robinson

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/02/2010 12:09 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> It does work in F-12, the response for the lack of support in F-13 was
>> 'deal with it'. There is suppose to be a patch to emulate it in the
>> kernel but apparently it won't go upstream until its a generic infra
>> patch that can allow support of other emulated bits in other cpus in a
>> generic way. So its possible it will come back, but I don't hold up
>> hope of a quick resolution. Which leaves us in a big predicament as to
>> how we're going to support the 1.5 million odd XO-1s out there moving
>> forward.
>>

> Can you file a ticket with FESCo? *Would be useful to track and resolve
> this issue.

I will do. I'll gather up all the bits I have an add it to the ticket.

Thanks,
Peter

Old 06-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Glandvador

On 02.06.2010 09:19, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 06/02/2010 12:09 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> It does work in F-12, the response for the lack of support in F-13 was
>>> 'deal with it'. There is suppose to be a patch to emulate it in the
>>> kernel but apparently it won't go upstream until its a generic infra
>>> patch that can allow support of other emulated bits in other cpus in a
>>> generic way. So its possible it will come back, but I don't hold up
>>> hope of a quick resolution. Which leaves us in a big predicament as to
>>> how we're going to support the 1.5 million odd XO-1s out there moving
>>> forward.
>>>

>> Can you file a ticket with FESCo? Would be useful to track and resolve
>> this issue.
>
> I will do. I'll gather up all the bits I have an add it to the ticket.

Thank you Peter,

I hope a solution can be found before the obsolescence of F12. If
needed, I'm ready to help.

Regards,
Glandvador.