Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 AM
drago01

Default Intel's SU4100 support on Fedora 12

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Ilyes Gouta <ilyes.gouta@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I own a laptop which has an Intel SU4100
> (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43568), a dual core CPU and has
> 4 Gb of RAM. The Fedora 12 install DVD, picks up the PAE kernel for my
> machine while I expected a SMP, PAE enabled kernel instead. Is it
> possible to manually select such a kernel, during an install? Is it
> possible to change the "kernel configuration" so that the next yum
> update picks up the SMP enabled one?

We don't ship separate UP/SMP kernel anymore (and have not for a
while), it is detected at runtime.

Also for this system I recommend using x86_64.

P.S: This is off topic on this list btw. you should ask such question
on the fedora-list rather than fedora-devel-list.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Ilyes Gouta

Hi,

> while), it is detected at runtime.

When installing the system, right? So it's done once? I believe grub
has a static configuration which indicates the location of the kernel
image.

> Also for this system I recommend using x86_64.

I don't remember the installer giving me the choice between running a
PAE 32bit kernel, or a x86_64 kernel on my machine.

Thanks,
-Ilyes Gouta

Old 04-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Aioanei Rares

On 04/05/2010 03:10 PM, Ilyes Gouta wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> while), it is detected at runtime.
>>
> When installing the system, right? So it's done once? I believe grub
> has a static configuration which indicates the location of the kernel
> image.
>

>> Also for this system I recommend using x86_64.
>>
> I don't remember the installer giving me the choice between running a
> PAE 32bit kernel, or a x86_64 kernel on my machine.

Obviously, because it doesn't do that. You download the x86_64 if you
want that, or the i686 if you want 32-bit. And I concur, it'd be better
if you go 64-bit.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:17 PM
drago01

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Ilyes Gouta <ilyes.gouta@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> while), it is detected at runtime.
>
> When installing the system, right? So it's done once? I believe grub
> has a static configuration which indicates the location of the kernel
> image.

No, there is only one kernel image ... the kernel itself detects
whether you are running on a SMP system or not.
There is no need for a different kernel image anymore.

>> Also for this system I recommend using x86_64.
>
> I don't remember the installer giving me the choice between running a
> PAE 32bit kernel, or a x86_64 kernel on my machine.

You'd have to download the x86_64 install DVD instead of i686 one.