Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 PM
Felix Schwarz

Default Fedora 12: Make Dell machines boot again

Hi *,

since the last stable kernel update in Fedora 12, a lot of Dell machines
do not boot anymore due to a kernel oops... Of course bugzilla has a
couple of bug reports (e.g. #578217, #579118, #578663, #578590).

There is a known fix/workaround which is already present in CVS
(kernel-2.6.32.10-94.fc12) and a koji build which fixes the issue for
all users. However there's no update in bodhi yet.

Due to the severity of the problem, I'd like to see a push to
updates-testing as soon as possible.

fs

Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
"John W. Linville"

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 10:48:39PM +0200, Felix Schwarz wrote:

> since the last stable kernel update in Fedora 12, a lot of Dell machines
> do not boot anymore due to a kernel oops... Of course bugzilla has a
> couple of bug reports (e.g. #578217, #579118, #578663, #578590).
>
> There is a known fix/workaround which is already present in CVS
> (kernel-2.6.32.10-94.fc12) and a koji build which fixes the issue for
> all users. However there's no update in bodhi yet.
>
> Due to the severity of the problem, I'd like to see a push to
> updates-testing as soon as possible.

Thanks, Felix. I have created the update.

Since I created the problem for the b44 people in kernel -90, I
wanted to be sure to get some positive test reports before pushing
the -94 update. I apologize for the extended delay over the weekend!

John
--
John W. Linville Linux should be at the core
linville@redhat.com of your literate lifestyle.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Adam Williamson

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 10:28 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 10:48:39PM +0200, Felix Schwarz wrote:
>
> > since the last stable kernel update in Fedora 12, a lot of Dell machines
> > do not boot anymore due to a kernel oops... Of course bugzilla has a
> > couple of bug reports (e.g. #578217, #579118, #578663, #578590).
> >
> > There is a known fix/workaround which is already present in CVS
> > (kernel-2.6.32.10-94.fc12) and a koji build which fixes the issue for
> > all users. However there's no update in bodhi yet.
> >
> > Due to the severity of the problem, I'd like to see a push to
> > updates-testing as soon as possible.
>
> Thanks, Felix. I have created the update.
>
> Since I created the problem for the b44 people in kernel -90, I
> wanted to be sure to get some positive test reports before pushing
> the -94 update. I apologize for the extended delay over the weekend!

>From what I can tell, it looks like the -90 update got 'auto-pushed' by
hitting +3 karma, despite the fact that two people had reported the
regression in Bodhi. This is a classic case of 'works for me' positive
feedback overriding 'there's a regression!' feedback, which is one of
the issues we're trying to fix with the proposals to improve Bodhi.

For now, might I suggest disabling auto-push for kernel updates?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Jarod Wilson

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 10:28 -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 10:48:39PM +0200, Felix Schwarz wrote:
>>
>> > since the last stable kernel update in Fedora 12, a lot of Dell machines
>> > do not boot anymore due to a kernel oops... Of course bugzilla has a
>> > couple of bug reports (e.g. #578217, #579118, #578663, #578590).
>> >
>> > There is a known fix/workaround which is already present in CVS
>> > (kernel-2.6.32.10-94.fc12) and a koji build which fixes the issue for
>> > all users. However there's no update in bodhi yet.
>> >
>> > Due to the severity of the problem, I'd like to see a push to
>> > updates-testing as soon as possible.
>>
>> Thanks, Felix. *I have created the update.
>>
>> Since I created the problem for the b44 people in kernel -90, I
>> wanted to be sure to get some positive test reports before pushing
>> the -94 update. *I apologize for the extended delay over the weekend!
>
> From what I can tell, it looks like the -90 update got 'auto-pushed' by
> hitting +3 karma, despite the fact that two people had reported the
> regression in Bodhi. This is a classic case of 'works for me' positive
> feedback overriding 'there's a regression!' feedback, which is one of
> the issues we're trying to fix with the proposals to improve Bodhi.
>
> For now, might I suggest disabling auto-push for kernel updates?

Even more fun, the request was initially submitted and told to ignore
karma for auto-push, but the initial submission had an incorrect bug
number in it. Went in to fix that, and apparently didn't notice that
bodhi had helpfully decided to re-enable the auto-push check box when
all I wanted to do was fix a bug number. (in other words, "edit"
doesn't properly honor the current settings of the ticket).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@wilsonet.com

Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 16:19 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> > From what I can tell, it looks like the -90 update got 'auto-pushed' by
> > hitting +3 karma, despite the fact that two people had reported the
> > regression in Bodhi. This is a classic case of 'works for me' positive
> > feedback overriding 'there's a regression!' feedback, which is one of
> > the issues we're trying to fix with the proposals to improve Bodhi.
> >
> > For now, might I suggest disabling auto-push for kernel updates?
>
> Even more fun, the request was initially submitted and told to ignore
> karma for auto-push, but the initial submission had an incorrect bug
> number in it. Went in to fix that, and apparently didn't notice that
> bodhi had helpfully decided to re-enable the auto-push check box when
> all I wanted to do was fix a bug number. (in other words, "edit"
> doesn't properly honor the current settings of the ticket).

Ah, that definitely sounds like a bug to be fixed in Bodhi, can you
report it to Bodhi trac?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Luke Macken

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 01:46:53PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 16:19 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
> > > From what I can tell, it looks like the -90 update got 'auto-pushed' by
> > > hitting +3 karma, despite the fact that two people had reported the
> > > regression in Bodhi. This is a classic case of 'works for me' positive
> > > feedback overriding 'there's a regression!' feedback, which is one of
> > > the issues we're trying to fix with the proposals to improve Bodhi.
> > >
> > > For now, might I suggest disabling auto-push for kernel updates?
> >
> > Even more fun, the request was initially submitted and told to ignore
> > karma for auto-push, but the initial submission had an incorrect bug
> > number in it. Went in to fix that, and apparently didn't notice that
> > bodhi had helpfully decided to re-enable the auto-push check box when
> > all I wanted to do was fix a bug number. (in other words, "edit"
> > doesn't properly honor the current settings of the ticket).
>
> Ah, that definitely sounds like a bug to be fixed in Bodhi, can you
> report it to Bodhi trac?

Hmm, I thought we fixed that bug already. I just re-opened
https://fedorahosted.org/bodhi/ticket/353

luke