Old 01-11-2008, 07:37 PM
"Jerry James"

Default Intel compiler integration tool release

I have just released attempt #3 at integrating the Intel C/C++
compilers and debugger into a Fedora system. My earlier attempts were
named fedora-icc and icc-extras, respectively. I've changed the name
yet again. This time it is called intel-extras (because Intel has
some other tools that need integrating, so the package will grow to
include them over time). The major issue with my previous attempts
was tracking new Intel releases. Non-paying schmucks like me don't
get access to the same versions as paying customers, so releasing new
versions of the package that did nothing but bump the Intel version
number just didn't cut it. This time, I have included a script,
intel-update, that automatically detects the latest version (or
optionally, a specified version) of the Intel tools on your system and
integrates that version into Fedora.

Get it here: http://jjames.fedorapeople.org/intel-extras/ (WARNING:
ugly web page alert!).

The earlier attempts were in the public domain. This is a complete
rewrite, and this time I'm releasing it under an MIT license. A
person who understands liability better than I do talked me into this
change. I'm willing to help Intel make this package completely
unnecessary, free of charge.

There are now actual man pages. They contain important information.
Please read them.

If there is sufficient interest in this, I'll try to find a good home
to host the project for the long term. If only the < 5 people who
tried out my earlier attempts use it, I probably won't bother.

I tried to makes the scripts work with bash, ksh, and zsh. I believe
they work with all 3. If you find otherwise, it's a bug. Please let
me know.

Since one version of my package has to work with multiple Intel
versions, there is some ugliness in the version number handling. I
don't see a better way to deal with the situation. If you do, please
enlighten me.

While I have tested this new release on both x86 and x86_64 platforms,
there are bound to be some bugs. Please use this product with
caution. In particular, please back up your system before you try it
out.
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/

Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Kjartan Maraas

fr., 11.01.2008 kl. 13.37 -0700, skrev Jerry James:
> I have just released attempt #3 at integrating the Intel C/C++
> compilers and debugger into a Fedora system. My earlier attempts were
> named fedora-icc and icc-extras, respectively. I've changed the name
> yet again. This time it is called intel-extras (because Intel has
> some other tools that need integrating, so the package will grow to
> include them over time). The major issue with my previous attempts
> was tracking new Intel releases. Non-paying schmucks like me don't
> get access to the same versions as paying customers, so releasing new
> versions of the package that did nothing but bump the Intel version
> number just didn't cut it. This time, I have included a script,
> intel-update, that automatically detects the latest version (or
> optionally, a specified version) of the Intel tools on your system and
> integrates that version into Fedora.
>
> Get it here: http://jjames.fedorapeople.org/intel-extras/ (WARNING:
> ugly web page alert!).
>
> The earlier attempts were in the public domain. This is a complete
> rewrite, and this time I'm releasing it under an MIT license. A
> person who understands liability better than I do talked me into this
> change. I'm willing to help Intel make this package completely
> unnecessary, free of charge.
>
> There are now actual man pages. They contain important information.
> Please read them.
>
> If there is sufficient interest in this, I'll try to find a good home
> to host the project for the long term. If only the < 5 people who
> tried out my earlier attempts use it, I probably won't bother.
>
> I tried to makes the scripts work with bash, ksh, and zsh. I believe
> they work with all 3. If you find otherwise, it's a bug. Please let
> me know.
>
> Since one version of my package has to work with multiple Intel
> versions, there is some ugliness in the version number handling. I
> don't see a better way to deal with the situation. If you do, please
> enlighten me.
>
> While I have tested this new release on both x86 and x86_64 platforms,
> there are bound to be some bugs. Please use this product with
> caution. In particular, please back up your system before you try it
> out.

Do I need to install icc in a particular prefix for this package to pick
it up? I just did a default install of icc 10.1 and I don't see how to
use your package to invoke it?

Cheers
Kjartan

Old 01-14-2008, 08:10 PM
"Jerry James"

Hi Kjartan,

On Jan 11, 2008 5:50 PM, Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas@broadpark.no> wrote:
> Do I need to install icc in a particular prefix for this package to pick
> it up? I just did a default install of icc 10.1 and I don't see how to
> use your package to invoke it?

Yes, you do need to install in the default place (/opt/intel). Making
that configurable will have to wait for a future release, assuming I
ever get around to it. Once you have installed the Intel tools and my
package, run intel-update as root. After that, you should see the
icc, icpc, idb, etc. binaries in your PATH, get something useful out
of "man icc", etc.

Let me know if you need any further information. Regards,