-   -   2010-03-25 Printing test day recap (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/350450-2010-03-25-printing-test-day-recap.html)

Adam Williamson 04-01-2010 05:06 PM

2010-03-25 Printing test day recap

Here's a quick recap of last week's Printing Test
Day:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-25_Printing

The turnout was somewhat disappointing: we only had results from about a
half dozen testers. If anyone has a particular reason they didn't
attend, we'd love to hear about it. We'd have liked much wider testing
on the automatic driver installation feature.

Nonetheless, four bugs were filed, all of which have now been addressed:

576928 MODIFIED - Missing Device ID for HP LaserJet 2300
576615 CLOSED ERRATA - RFE: add InstallPrinterDrivers D-Bus method for session service
576616 CLOSED DUPLICATE - HP LaserJet 1018 doesn't get installed in Fedora-13
577022 CLOSED WORKSFORME - Printer Test Day: HP Deskjet 959C not prompted.

Thanks to all those who did come out to test!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

mike cloaked 04-01-2010 05:24 PM

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> Here's a quick recap of last week's Printing Test
> Day:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-25_Printing
>
> The turnout was somewhat disappointing: we only had results from about a
> half dozen testers. If anyone has a particular reason they didn't
> attend, we'd love to hear about it. We'd have liked much wider testing
> on the automatic driver installation feature.

In my case two reasons:

1) My printer is not supported in Linux as far as I know - Samsung SCX4500W
2) I was heavily tied up with $DAYJOB ahead of Easter

Good enough?

--
mike c

mike cloaked 04-01-2010 05:27 PM

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Here's a quick recap of last week's Printing Test
>> Day:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-25_Printing
>>
>> The turnout was somewhat disappointing: we only had results from about a
>> half dozen testers. If anyone has a particular reason they didn't
>> attend, we'd love to hear about it. We'd have liked much wider testing
>> on the automatic driver installation feature.
>
> In my case two reasons:
>
> 1) My printer is not supported in Linux as far as I know - Samsung SCX4500W
> 2) I was heavily tied up with $DAYJOB ahead of Easter
>
> Good enough?

Just to add - I do have the above printer running in Fedora 12 but I
had to use the proprietary .ppd file and configure it by hacking the
printer config. The scanner does not need any proprietary stuff but it
needs a udev hack - and I had no good reason to expect that any
success was likely for the test day.

--
mike c

Adam Williamson 04-01-2010 05:40 PM

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 18:24 +0100, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Here's a quick recap of last week's Printing Test
> > Day:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2010-03-25_Printing
> >
> > The turnout was somewhat disappointing: we only had results from about a
> > half dozen testers. If anyone has a particular reason they didn't
> > attend, we'd love to hear about it. We'd have liked much wider testing
> > on the automatic driver installation feature.
>
> In my case two reasons:
>
> 1) My printer is not supported in Linux as far as I know - Samsung SCX4500W
> 2) I was heavily tied up with $DAYJOB ahead of Easter

Thanks for the feedback.

> Good enough?

Our QA Enforcers will evaluate your email and let you know soon. If you
live, that means it was good enough. ;)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

mike cloaked 04-01-2010 06:40 PM

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

> Our QA Enforcers will evaluate your email and let you know soon. If you
> live, that means it was good enough. ;)

OK I'll be looking over my shoulder until the official word that I'm
in the clear!

--
mike c

Gianluca Sforna 04-02-2010 04:48 PM

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> The turnout was somewhat disappointing: we only had results from about a
> half dozen testers. If anyone has a particular reason they didn't
> attend, we'd love to hear about it. We'd have liked much wider testing
> on the automatic driver installation feature.

One reason could be that printers works well enough already...
however, since it seems we can gather useful info even from people
running F11 and F12[1], I wonder if we could spread the word further
by posting a "your help is needed" message to the users list and one
or more forums.

[1] http://cyberelk.net/tim/2010/04/01/printer-device-ids-wanted/

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianlucasforna

John Reiser 04-02-2010 05:04 PM

2010-03-25 Printing test day recap

> [1] http://cyberelk.net/tim/2010/04/01/printer-device-ids-wanted/

What a horrible user interface! The "git clone" step spewed
more than 4500 lines of garbage. I wondered whether it was working.

Please do a "git gc" to repack the git database before inflicting
this on users.

Bruno Wolff III 04-02-2010 05:49 PM

2010-03-25 Printing test day recap

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 10:06:17 -0700,
Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

> The turnout was somewhat disappointing: we only had results from about a
> half dozen testers. If anyone has a particular reason they didn't
> attend, we'd love to hear about it. We'd have liked much wider testing
> on the automatic driver installation feature.

This isn't exactly a bug, but if I print text files I need to specify a
top margin of 9 points and a left margin of 18 points or some text doesn't
show up. But postscript output to the same printer works without fudging.
This seems odd.

I can set up up default printer options to hide this, but my expectation
is that since I configured a printer, the size of areas that can't actually
be printed on the paper would be known.

I see this problem both on a networked, postscript capable laserjet and
a directly (parallel port) attached ink jet printer (used from different
machines).

Adam Williamson 04-05-2010 05:25 PM

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 18:48 +0200, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> > The turnout was somewhat disappointing: we only had results from about a
> > half dozen testers. If anyone has a particular reason they didn't
> > attend, we'd love to hear about it. We'd have liked much wider testing
> > on the automatic driver installation feature.
>
> One reason could be that printers works well enough already...
> however, since it seems we can gather useful info even from people
> running F11 and F12[1], I wonder if we could spread the word further
> by posting a "your help is needed" message to the users list and one
> or more forums.

I did announce the event in the forums, I announce every test day there.
I'm not on the users list, though. Don't have the time :/
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Tim Waugh 04-06-2010 09:27 AM

On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 12:49 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> This isn't exactly a bug, but if I print text files I need to specify a
> top margin of 9 points and a left margin of 18 points or some text doesn't
> show up. But postscript output to the same printer works without fudging.
> This seems odd.

Yes, that is a bug. It sounds like the PPD contains incorrect margin
data. If you are using a driver from Fedora, please report it in
bugzilla along with the troubleshoot.txt from the printing
troubleshooter¹.

Thanks,
Tim.
*/