Old 04-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Gianluca Sforna

Default 2010-03-25 Printing test day recap

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:25 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

> I did announce the event in the forums, I announce every test day there.
> I'm not on the users list, though. Don't have the time :/

Oh right, forums are the same or maybe even better than the user list.
Anyway, if finding IDs/testing automatic driver installation is an
ongoing effort I think it's worth trying.

If you agree, I'll send a mail later to the list

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianlucasforna

Old 04-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 10:27:24 +0100,
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-02 at 12:49 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > This isn't exactly a bug, but if I print text files I need to specify a
> > top margin of 9 points and a left margin of 18 points or some text doesn't
> > show up. But postscript output to the same printer works without fudging.
> > This seems odd.
>
> Yes, that is a bug. It sounds like the PPD contains incorrect margin
> data. If you are using a driver from Fedora, please report it in
> bugzilla along with the troubleshoot.txt from the printing
> troubleshooter¹.

For both different printer types? (I am pretty sure they used different PPD
files.)

Old 04-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Tim Waugh

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 08:06 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> For both different printer types? (I am pretty sure they used different PPD
> files.)

Well, does the PostScript output go closer to the edge of the paper than
where the text output gets cut off? In other words, does it look like
it is a hardware limitation that print output cannot be closer to the
edge?

Unfortunately a lot of our PPD files have incorrect margin data, so it
is no big coincidence if two PPD files are wrong in that way. :-/

Tim.
*/

Old 04-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:28:05 +0100,
Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 08:06 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > For both different printer types? (I am pretty sure they used different PPD
> > files.)
>
> Well, does the PostScript output go closer to the edge of the paper than
> where the text output gets cut off? In other words, does it look like
> it is a hardware limitation that print output cannot be closer to the
> edge?

I'll have to do testing. I think the issue is that for text files it does
try to print closer to the edges than the devices can. The postscript
output doesn't appear to try to print that close to the edges. So I think
it is a hardware limitation that isn't properly reflected somewhere.

One printer is an Epson Photo Stylus 870. The other is a copy machine at work.
For the latter the files are handed off to a generic postscript print
server that in turn sends stuff to the copier. For the former it is directly
connected to the machine doing the printing and is using one of the PPD files
for that machine.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 11:28 +0200, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:25 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > I did announce the event in the forums, I announce every test day there.
> > I'm not on the users list, though. Don't have the time :/
>
> Oh right, forums are the same or maybe even better than the user list.
> Anyway, if finding IDs/testing automatic driver installation is an
> ongoing effort I think it's worth trying.
>
> If you agree, I'll send a mail later to the list

Please do! That would be very helpful. Thanks.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Gianluca Sforna

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

> Please do! That would be very helpful. Thanks.

Done, let's see what happens