Old 03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Mike Chambers

Default Desktop layout comparison

I am a gnome user and since had to do a new install yesterday of F13, I
decided to give KDE a try, as I hadn't installed it in few years. Well,
I won't get into why I didn't stay in KDE, but I will tell you what I
liked about the initial desktop look/feel. Actually, backup a tad and
go to the KDM login window. I liked the transparency*ish* look that it
had, and it blew gdm out of the water.

(Can KDM be installed with minimal deps and be used for that screen
instead?)

I also really liked the transparency*ish* look that the desktop had as
well. By that, I mean the panel or at least the way it and the desktop
looked. I know there are probably some configs that you can change to
make stuff transparent and all that, but just not the same. If you
havcen't seen it in a while, maybe you should install kde and login once
and see what it's like. I don't mean having one panel for this or that,
or what icons and stuff exist, but just the look/colors of it is all.

This is NOT a flame war starter or anything else (which is why I kept
things out), just my thoughts on the kde desktop look compared to what
gnome has now. Just liked it better and hoped maybe gnome could lean
that way as well.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"

Old 03-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Rex Dieter

Mike Chambers wrote:

> (Can KDM be installed with minimal deps and be used for that screen
> instead?)

Yes (depends only on kdelibs).

-- Rex

Old 03-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 18:54 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Mike Chambers wrote:
>
> > (Can KDM be installed with minimal deps and be used for that screen
> > instead?)
>
> Yes (depends only on kdelibs).

Hrm, is it called kdm? If so, it wanted 52 deps with it.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"

Old 03-30-2010, 12:38 AM
Rex Dieter

Mike Chambers wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 18:54 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Mike Chambers wrote:
>>
>> > (Can KDM be installed with minimal deps and be used for that screen
>> > instead?)
>>
>> Yes (depends only on kdelibs).
>
> Hrm, is it called kdm? If so, it wanted 52 deps with it.

Yes, kdm. kdelibs has a lot of deps itself, true.

-- Rex

Old 03-30-2010, 12:39 AM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 19:38 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Mike Chambers wrote:

> >> Yes (depends only on kdelibs).
> >
> > Hrm, is it called kdm? If so, it wanted 52 deps with it.
>
> Yes, kdm. kdelibs has a lot of deps itself, true.

Would kdm and kdelibs (maybe kde-settings-kdm) with no deps work?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"