Old 01-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Christopher Aillon

Default pirut, pup, system-*: policykit integration

On 01/11/2008 02:53 PM, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:

dbus-based authentication system is ready to use, so pirut, pup and all
system-* tools should switch to use it instead of... what does they use now?

/usr/bin/consolehelper

Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

2008/1/11, Christopher Aillon <caillon@redhat.com>:
On 01/11/2008 02:53 PM, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> dbus-based authentication system is ready to use, so pirut, pup and all
> system-* tools should switch to use it instead of... what does they use now?

/usr/bin/consolehelper

Ok, so now it's time to move. Mass move :> .

Working upstream on well used (in future) project is good idea.

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/

Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 15:46 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> 2008/1/11, Christopher Aillon <caillon@redhat.com>:
> On 01/11/2008 02:53 PM, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> > dbus-based authentication system is ready to use, so pirut,
> pup and all
> > system-* tools should switch to use it instead of... what
> does they use now?
>
> /usr/bin/consolehelper
>
> Ok, so now it's time to move. Mass move :> .

Have you logged bugs yet?

Old 01-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 14:53 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> hi,
>
> dbus-based authentication system is ready to use, so pirut, pup and
> all system-* tools should switch to use it instead of... what does
> they use now?

Wrt to pup and pirut, we are working on making PackageKit good enough to
replace them (at least in the desktop spin). PackageKit is using dbus
activation and PolicyKit.

Wrt to system config tools, one option would be for someone to
investigate gnome-system-tools (at least, get it to work and package it
for Fedora, for trying it out), which is also using these technologies.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:55 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Jan 11, 2008 10:52 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 14:53 +0100, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > dbus-based authentication system is ready to use, so pirut, pup and
> > all system-* tools should switch to use it instead of... what does
> > they use now?
>

> Wrt to pup and pirut, we are working on making PackageKit good enough to
> replace them (at least in the desktop spin). PackageKit is using dbus
> activation and PolicyKit.
>
> Wrt to system config tools, one option would be for someone to
> investigate gnome-system-tools (at least, get it to work and package it
> for Fedora, for trying it out), which is also using these technologies.

Are you suggesting making the psuedo DE agnostic system-confg tools
more Gnome reliant?

( www.pembo13.com )

Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 10:55 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> > Wrt to system config tools, one option would be for someone to
> > investigate gnome-system-tools (at least, get it to work and package it
> > for Fedora, for trying it out), which is also using these technologies.
>

> Are you suggesting making the psuedo DE agnostic system-confg tools
> more Gnome reliant?

Many of the system-config tools we ship are DE agnostic only in so far
as the are just plain bad UI and wouldn't be accepted as part of either
DE... most of the tools have been written many years ago, without input
from interface designers, and have seen very little UI love since then.
(I don't mean to be rude here. This is not the fault of the respective
maintainers, whose primary job is not UI programming)

gnome-system-tools uses a frontend-backend split, with dbus interfaces.
So if you feel like it, you should be able to write frontends using
other toolkits.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

Wrt to system config tools, one option would be for someone to
investigate gnome-system-tools (at least, get it to work and package it
for Fedora, for trying it out), which is also using these technologies.

Are you suggesting making the psuedo DE agnostic system-confg tools
more Gnome reliant?

gnome-system-tools is entirely different from system-config-*

http://www.gnome.org/projects/gst/

Rahul

Old 01-12-2008, 12:43 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

2008/1/11, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com>:

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 10:55 -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> > Wrt to system config tools, one option would be for someone to
> > investigate gnome-system-tools (at least, get it to work and package it

> > for Fedora, for trying it out), which is also using these technologies.
>

> Are you suggesting making the psuedo DE agnostic system-confg tools
> more Gnome reliant?

Many of the system-config tools we ship are DE agnostic only in so far

as the are just plain bad UI and wouldn't be accepted as part of either
DE... most of the tools have been written many years ago, without input
from interface designers, and have seen very little UI love since then.

(I don't mean to be rude here. This is not the fault of the respective
maintainers, whose primary job is not UI programming)

gnome-system-tools uses a frontend-backend split, with dbus interfaces.
So if you feel like it, you should be able to write frontends using

other toolkits.

Fedora ships GTK-based config tools which is VERY wrong.
--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/

Old 01-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Kevin Kofler

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Fedora ships GTK-based config tools which is VERY wrong.

Would you rather the tools were in Tk, Xaw, lesstif or some other ancient ugly
toolkit? GTK+ is much better than any of those!

Kevin Kofler

Old 01-12-2008, 02:55 PM
"Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek"

2008/1/12, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at>:
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Fedora ships GTK-based config tools which is VERY wrong.

Would you rather the tools were in Tk, Xaw, lesstif or some other ancient ugly

toolkit? GTK+ is much better than any of those!

********Kevin Kofler

Those tools should detect DE and then use adequate library. Exactly how YaST2 does, with success.
--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek

http://liviopl.jogger.pl/