Old 03-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Drop Xorg Nv driver?

Hi,

Nvidia has announced that they are deprecating it

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2010-March/049749.html

They are recommending users to use Vesa instead as the replacement but
the real reason appears to be Nouveau which Fedora has supported for a
long time now.

Rahul

Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 PM
Jeff Garzik

On 03/26/2010 08:06 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Nvidia has announced that they are deprecating it
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2010-March/049749.html
>
> They are recommending users to use Vesa instead as the replacement but
> the real reason appears to be Nouveau which Fedora has supported for a
> long time now.

X developers on linux-kernel list continue to recommend use of nv as a
nouveau alternative, when problems with nouveau crop up. As recently as
a couple weeks ago...

Jeff

Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 05:36:29AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Nvidia has announced that they are deprecating it
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2010-March/049749.html
>
> They are recommending users to use Vesa instead as the replacement but
> the real reason appears to be Nouveau which Fedora has supported for a
> long time now.

Has to be said that I've always had better luck with nv. Nouveau has
"seemed" to be very unstable to me (although it's always been hard to
pin down actual reproducible bugs). I never used and don't care about
any 3D or advanced features though ...

Rich.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Mihai Limbasan

They are deprecating it on *new* hardware - the Fermi architecture and
the follow-ups. They explicitely state that they're going to continue
supporting it on existing hardware for the foreseeable future, within
reason. I don't see why it should get dropped yet.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Kevin Kofler

Mihai Limbasan wrote:
> They are deprecating it on *new* hardware - the Fermi architecture and
> the follow-ups. They explicitely state that they're going to continue
> supporting it on existing hardware for the foreseeable future, within
> reason. I don't see why it should get dropped yet.

Because Nouveau replaces it?

That said, there's some ancient chipset series which is supported by nv and
not by Nouveau, so I guess it's useful to keep nv around for that one.

Kevin Kofler

Old 03-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Adam Williamson

On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 11:44 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 05:36:29AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Nvidia has announced that they are deprecating it
> >
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2010-March/049749.html
> >
> > They are recommending users to use Vesa instead as the replacement but
> > the real reason appears to be Nouveau which Fedora has supported for a
> > long time now.
>
> Has to be said that I've always had better luck with nv. Nouveau has
> "seemed" to be very unstable to me (although it's always been hard to
> pin down actual reproducible bugs). I never used and don't care about
> any 3D or advanced features though ...

Ben is very keen to fix problems in nouveau and has lots of ideas for
tracking them down. If you're having trouble please do file a bug even
if you can't quite pin it down yourself, we may be able to figure
something out.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Adam Williamson writes:

Has to be said that I've always had better luck with nv. Nouveau has
"seemed" to be very unstable to me (although it's always been hard to
pin down actual reproducible bugs). I never used and don't care about
any 3D or advanced features though ...

Ben is very keen to fix problems in nouveau and has lots of ideas for
tracking them down. If you're having trouble please do file a bug even
if you can't quite pin it down yourself, we may be able to figure
something out.

On my laptop nouveau has been rock stable. Absolutely no problems (NV43,
Geforce Go 6600). I'm patiently waiting to see how well compiz eye candy
will work.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 19:32 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Adam Williamson writes:
>
> > On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 11:44 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >>
> >> Has to be said that I've always had better luck with nv. Nouveau has
> >> "seemed" to be very unstable to me (although it's always been hard to
> >> pin down actual reproducible bugs). I never used and don't care about
> >> any 3D or advanced features though ...
> >
> > Ben is very keen to fix problems in nouveau and has lots of ideas for
> > tracking them down. If you're having trouble please do file a bug even
> > if you can't quite pin it down yourself, we may be able to figure
> > something out.
>
> On my laptop nouveau has been rock stable. Absolutely no problems (NV43,
> Geforce Go 6600). I'm patiently waiting to see how well compiz eye candy
> will work.

If you're on f13, you can install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental and try
it. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Adam Williamson

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 20:47 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mihai Limbasan wrote:
> > They are deprecating it on *new* hardware - the Fermi architecture and
> > the follow-ups. They explicitely state that they're going to continue
> > supporting it on existing hardware for the foreseeable future, within
> > reason. I don't see why it should get dropped yet.
>
> Because Nouveau replaces it?
>
> That said, there's some ancient chipset series which is supported by nv and
> not by Nouveau, so I guess it's useful to keep nv around for that one.

Yeah, the Riva 128 and Riva TNT (aka nv01 and nv02). I think I've come
across two people still running these cards . They do work with vesa,
though...not as fast as nv.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 16:48:06 -0700,
Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

> If you're on f13, you can install mesa-dri-drivers-experimental and try
> it. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces

Please update us on when he is ready for bug reports for that version.
Several 3d games don't work.