Old 03-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Mike Chambers

Default Evolution trash folder

On a brand new F13 install using yesterday's images/packages, and using
evolution and imap, I noticed that when deleting emails, they aren't
going to the trash folder. I understand that they technically they are
still there and just hidden until emptied or however that works. But
anyway, the only way the deleted msgs are being removed is if I go to
each folder and go to File/empty trash to get them gone. Actually this
has been going on last couple versions I believe, cant' remember when it
started.

Anyone else seeing this?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"

Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Thomas Spura

Am Sonntag, den 21.03.2010, 07:44 -0500 schrieb Mike Chambers:
> On a brand new F13 install using yesterday's images/packages, and using
> evolution and imap, I noticed that when deleting emails, they aren't
> going to the trash folder. I understand that they technically they are
> still there and just hidden until emptied or however that works. But
> anyway, the only way the deleted msgs are being removed is if I go to
> each folder and go to File/empty trash to get them gone. Actually this
> has been going on last couple versions I believe, cant' remember when it
> started.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

I installed F12β and upgraded a week ago or so to F13. I remember
something like this has once happened here, but after a restart of
evolution everything was working again.

I never saw this again since then (also not now with:
evolution-2.29.91-1.fc13.x86_64). Maybe there is a checkbox for that
anywhere? (Just quessing and asking in the wild )

-Thomas

Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM
Mike Chambers

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 23:44 +0100, Thomas Spura wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 21.03.2010, 07:44 -0500 schrieb Mike Chambers:
> > On a brand new F13 install using yesterday's images/packages, and using
> > evolution and imap, I noticed that when deleting emails, they aren't
> > going to the trash folder. I understand that they technically they are
> > still there and just hidden until emptied or however that works. But
> > anyway, the only way the deleted msgs are being removed is if I go to
> > each folder and go to File/empty trash to get them gone. Actually this
> > has been going on last couple versions I believe, cant' remember when it
> > started.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing this?
>
> I installed F12β and upgraded a week ago or so to F13. I remember
> something like this has once happened here, but after a restart of
> evolution everything was working again.
>
> I never saw this again since then (also not now with:
> evolution-2.29.91-1.fc13.x86_64). Maybe there is a checkbox for that
> anywhere? (Just quessing and asking in the wild )

No checkmarks checked or unchecked that I could find. The only other
explanation is if I did a clean setup (no backups) and see what that
does. I might do that with a clean/new test user and see what happens.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"

Old 03-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Milan Crha

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 20:53 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> No checkmarks checked or unchecked that I could find. The only other
> explanation is if I did a clean setup (no backups) and see what that
> does. I might do that with a clean/new test user and see what
> happens.

Hi,
try to run Evolution from console, and see what it says, if anything, in
time of deleting the message.

One thing I do not understand from your description, when you delete
message (press a Del button), the message is marked as deleted and
either is removed from the message list or shown there with a strike out
font. It should be also visible in the account's Trash folder. Because
your Folder->Expunge does correct thing, then the message is marked as
deleted. Thus I guess your UI is not showing the right thing, does it do
at least one of the above mentioned? Maybe the index for a Trash folder
is corrupted for some reason; you can try to stop Evolution and move out
your ~/.evolution/mail/imap/<account>/folders.db file, but as it
contains all your account index, then the next start will take some
time, till it fills it again. Or you can drop only all Trash related
tables from there, but it's not as that easy to do. If something goes
wrong, then return the folders.db file back.

Hope that helps,
Milan

Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 12:01 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 20:53 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > No checkmarks checked or unchecked that I could find. The only other
> > explanation is if I did a clean setup (no backups) and see what that
> > does. I might do that with a clean/new test user and see what
> > happens.
>
> Hi,
> try to run Evolution from console, and see what it says, if anything, in
> time of deleting the message.
>
> One thing I do not understand from your description, when you delete
> message (press a Del button), the message is marked as deleted and
> either is removed from the message list or shown there with a strike out
> font. It should be also visible in the account's Trash folder. Because
> your Folder->Expunge does correct thing, then the message is marked as
> deleted. Thus I guess your UI is not showing the right thing, does it do
> at least one of the above mentioned? Maybe the index for a Trash folder
> is corrupted for some reason; you can try to stop Evolution and move out
> your ~/.evolution/mail/imap/<account>/folders.db file, but as it
> contains all your account index, then the next start will take some
> time, till it fills it again. Or you can drop only all Trash related
> tables from there, but it's not as that easy to do. If something goes
> wrong, then return the folders.db file back.

Yes the message was indeed marked with a strike out font, but it was
never sent to the trash folder. I did already remove my .evolution
folder and restarted evolution again, and now the emails at least get
moved to the trash folder when deleted. The only thing I see now, is
when I close/exit evolution it doesn't automatically empty the trash
folder, and it is set in my preferences to do it every time.

Mike

Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Milan Crha

Hi,

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 18:22 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Yes the message was indeed marked with a strike out font, but it was
> never sent to the trash folder.

The you seem to have unchecked View->Hide deleted messages, maybe
intentionally.

> I did already remove my .evolution
> folder and restarted evolution again, and now the emails at least get
> moved to the trash folder when deleted. The only thing I see now, is
> when I close/exit evolution it doesn't automatically empty the trash
> folder, and it is set in my preferences to do it every time.

I didn't notice that myself, and because you let it recreate all the
summaries from scratch then the corruption of indexes is pretty
unlikely. I've no idea here right now.
Bye,
Milan