Old 03-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Jochen Schmitt

Default Potential F14 featu Use GPT partition table by default for "wipe complete HD" installations

Am 19.03.10 17:52, schrieb Jesse Keating:
> Why deal with two different types of partitioning tables? Why /not/ go
> forward to GPT, I think that's the more appropriate question.

No all operating systems are able to support GPT, so there may be nice
to have
a hybrid partition schema.

Aspecial if you want a tripple boot system on a Macaintosh system, there
will be
nice to have this feature, because you can only have four partition in
the MBR, which
may be assigned as follow:

Partitiona #1 EFI system partition
Partition #2: Mac OX X
Partition #3: Linux
Partition #4: Windows

Anyone in the future we may not have this discussion because all
computer have moved
to a UEFI systen caused by the 2 TB limitation of the MBR partition
schea, but now we
have the issue, that we have to support OS which are unable to support
GPT partition
hard discs.

Best Regards:

Jochen Schmitt

Old 03-19-2010, 06:54 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 09:55:37PM +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how about using GPT[0] partitions for F14 for all installations that wipe
> the whole disk to install Fedora? It is also considered to be good by
> Tejun Heo[1] and it seems to work nicely already on F12. I just
> partitioned a new HD using gdisk and the kernel seems to recognise it
> without any problems.

Yes!

Hopefully BIOS support won't be a problem because of gptsync. Can we
also get gptsync packaged separately, instead of having an odd version
bundled with Anaconda ...

Rich.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Till Maas

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 07:54:09PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Yes!
>
> Hopefully BIOS support won't be a problem because of gptsync. Can we
> also get gptsync packaged separately, instead of having an odd version
> bundled with Anaconda ...

A first incomplete Feature page is available here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GUID_Partition_Table

Regards
Till

Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 09:39:05PM +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 07:54:09PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>
> > Yes!
> >
> > Hopefully BIOS support won't be a problem because of gptsync. Can we
> > also get gptsync packaged separately, instead of having an odd version
> > bundled with Anaconda ...
>
> A first incomplete Feature page is available here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GUID_Partition_Table

I added a section summarising the issues with gptsync AIUI:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GUID_Partition_Table#gptsync

Rich.