Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Michał Piotrowski

Default your favourite method of dealing with ssh brute force attacks

Hi,

I recetly had 30 hours of ssh brute force attack on my system. I'm
using strong passwords, but still can be geneated from /dev/random, so
I switched to rsa authentication. What's your favourite way to deal
with such attacks? Please describe pros and cons.

Regards,
Michal

Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Athmane Madjoudj

2010/3/17 Michał Piotrowski <mkkp4x4@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I recetly had 30 hours of ssh brute force attack on my system. I'm
> using strong passwords, but still can be geneated from /dev/random, so
> I switched to rsa authentication. What's your favourite way to deal
> with such attacks? Please describe pros and cons.
>
> Regards,
> Michal

1. Change SSH port
2. Disable access to root via SSH
3. Install HIDS eg: fail2ban is included in fedora OR BFD
(http://www.rfxn.com/projects/brute-force-detection/)

--
Athmane Madjoudj