Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Harald Hoyer

Default libssh2 F11 update breaks Fedora 12 DVD update

On the F12 install DVD we have libssh2-1.2-2.fc12.

A fully updated F11 will have libssh2 with a higher version. Apparently anaconda
force updates some packages, if you update with the F12 DVD, but not the libssh2
package, which will lead to a broken yum, because python-curl needs libcurl,
which needs libssh2.

But the libssh2 from F11 needs libssl.so.8 which is not available anymore on the
system (anaconda force update of openssl??). So yum does not run anymore. The
non-technical user ends up with a broken system.

Solution?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Josh Boyer

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 09:10:31AM +0100, Harald Hoyer wrote:
>On the F12 install DVD we have libssh2-1.2-2.fc12.
>
>A fully updated F11 will have libssh2 with a higher version. Apparently anaconda
>force updates some packages, if you update with the F12 DVD, but not the libssh2
>package, which will lead to a broken yum, because python-curl needs libcurl,
>which needs libssh2.
>
>But the libssh2 from F11 needs libssl.so.8 which is not available anymore on the
>system (anaconda force update of openssl??). So yum does not run anymore. The
>non-technical user ends up with a broken system.
>
>Solution?

Do a network-enabled install with the updates repositories included. That
should bring in the libssh2 from F-12 updates.

josh

Old 03-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Conrad Meyer

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 01:10:31 am Harald Hoyer wrote:
> On the F12 install DVD we have libssh2-1.2-2.fc12.
>
> A fully updated F11 will have libssh2 with a higher version. Apparently
> anaconda force updates some packages, if you update with the F12 DVD, but
> not the libssh2 package, which will lead to a broken yum, because
> python-curl needs libcurl, which needs libssh2.
>
> But the libssh2 from F11 needs libssl.so.8 which is not available anymore
> on the system (anaconda force update of openssl??). So yum does not run
> anymore. The non-technical user ends up with a broken system.
>
> Solution?

F-{N} GA DVD will never intentionally work as an update against F-{N-1} +
Updates, unless you enable F-{N} Updates also (and then it should work).

Conrad Meyer <cemeyer@u.washington.edu>

Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Kevin Kofler

Conrad Meyer wrote:
> F-{N} GA DVD will never intentionally work as an update against F-{N-1} +
> Updates, unless you enable F-{N} Updates also (and then it should work).

Except the DVD does not support that for upgrades, making DVD upgrades
entirely useless as long as this is not fixed.

Kevin Kofler

Old 03-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Kevin Kofler

Harald Hoyer wrote:
> On the F12 install DVD we have libssh2-1.2-2.fc12.
>
> A fully updated F11 will have libssh2 with a higher version. Apparently
> anaconda force updates some packages, if you update with the F12 DVD, but
> not the libssh2 package, which will lead to a broken yum, because
> python-curl needs libcurl, which needs libssh2.
>
> But the libssh2 from F11 needs libssl.so.8 which is not available anymore
> on the system (anaconda force update of openssl??). So yum does not run
> anymore. The non-technical user ends up with a broken system.
>
> Solution?

DVD upgrades are just broken by design and will stay broken until they start
pulling in the updates repository. Right now, they don't even offer the
option.

Kevin Kofler

Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 03/18/2010 12:45 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> DVD upgrades are just broken by design and will stay broken until they start
> pulling in the updates repository. Right now, they don't even offer the
> option.

They do.

Rahul

Old 03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 20:15:36 +0100,
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@chello.at> wrote:

> DVD upgrades are just broken by design and will stay broken until they start
> pulling in the updates repository. Right now, they don't even offer the
> option.

Are you sure about that? I am pretty sure that adding custom repositories
has been available for a few releases.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Braden McDaniel

On 3/17/10 3:40 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/18/2010 12:45 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>>
>> DVD upgrades are just broken by design and will stay broken until they start
>> pulling in the updates repository. Right now, they don't even offer the
>> option.
>>

> They do.

I was given no such option when performing an upgrade using the F13
Alpha DVD. This option only appeared for the full install.

I seem to recall the same behavior for the F12 DVD.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden@endoframe.com>

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Kevin Kofler

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Are you sure about that? I am pretty sure that adding custom repositories
> has been available for a few releases.

Only for installs, not for upgrades.

Kevin Kofler