Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Matthew Garrett

Default hal-storage-addon is now a separate package

Right now, installing hal will result in hald-addon-storage polling
removable devices from boot - even if nothing's paying attention. This
is a surprisingly large power consumption hit on modern systems. udisks
starts the polling on-demand, which is preferable, but some legacy
applications still require hal.

I've just split hald-addon-storage out into its own package in rawhide.
If you need the hald-addon-storage functionality (ie, you rely on hal
for media change events) then please add an explicit depends on
hal-storage-addon.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Jon Masters

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 15:19 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Right now, installing hal will result in hald-addon-storage polling
> removable devices from boot - even if nothing's paying attention. This
> is a surprisingly large power consumption hit on modern systems. udisks
> starts the polling on-demand, which is preferable, but some legacy
> applications still require hal.
>
> I've just split hald-addon-storage out into its own package in rawhide.
> If you need the hald-addon-storage functionality (ie, you rely on hal
> for media change events) then please add an explicit depends on
> hal-storage-addon.

Thanks! I reported elsewhere to some virt. folks that it is also a CPU
hog (in terms of waking up guests every two seconds to poll a virtual CD
device that may almost never have "media"). They are going to look at
fixing the qemu emulation so that virtualized drives can report media
status without being polled. But this now yields two interim solutions,
including either explicitly telling hal not to poll (I typically do this
on all new installs under virt) or removing this package in the future.

Jon.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 06:08:57AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> Thanks! I reported elsewhere to some virt. folks that it is also a CPU
> hog (in terms of waking up guests every two seconds to poll a virtual CD
> device that may almost never have "media"). They are going to look at
> fixing the qemu emulation so that virtualized drives can report media
> status without being polled. But this now yields two interim solutions,
> including either explicitly telling hal not to poll (I typically do this
> on all new installs under virt) or removing this package in the future.

You'll still have issues with udisks polling if the session requests it,
so the qemu fix is still a good one. As long as they indicate that they
support async notification, everything should just work.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Jon Masters

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 14:08 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 06:08:57AM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>
> > Thanks! I reported elsewhere to some virt. folks that it is also a CPU
> > hog (in terms of waking up guests every two seconds to poll a virtual CD
> > device that may almost never have "media"). They are going to look at
> > fixing the qemu emulation so that virtualized drives can report media
> > status without being polled. But this now yields two interim solutions,
> > including either explicitly telling hal not to poll (I typically do this
> > on all new installs under virt) or removing this package in the future.
>
> You'll still have issues with udisks polling if the session requests it,
> so the qemu fix is still a good one. As long as they indicate that they
> support async notification, everything should just work.

Right, indeed and indeed. So it's on their radar.

Jon.